Ever have a 'bad' oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My answer:

D: All of the above
21.gif

Did my first oil change on my new to me truck I got in August, a 2008 ram with the 4.7. My last car was a 4.0 jeep that I had bought a case of filters for and still had six or seven left. I looked in the manual and I cross referenced the mopar number with the purolators I had (l14670's) and it was the same. I had read that in the middle of the '08 model year they changed filters from 3/4" tapings to 22mm, but the manual said it was the 3/4" filter. So... I pulled into my driveway on a Sunday afternoon in Bergen county NJ where there are blue laws and all stores except grocery stores and pharmacies are closed. I drained the oil and dropped the filter and when I went to put one on it didn't fit, wrong tread size. I had to push the truck out of the way to get to the jeep and drive to Paterson to buy a 22mm filter, a pureone pl24651 which I recently cut open with no tears
thumbsup2.gif

My uncle also spills oil habitually. Every time he does an oil or fluid change some of the fluid new and/or old ends up on the ground. And he is a diesel mechanic of almost 40 years not an amateur at all. Makes me laugh ever time though

I never had a bad one, but my teenage son did. Late one fall day, he was changing the oil in a 1987 Camry. He or his buddy kicked the drain plug in an unknown direction, covered no doubt by hundreds of fallen leaves. Had to go to Trak Auto and guess which Dorman replacement plug was correct. He finished the job after it got dark.

I had the old oil filter rubber O ring stick to the car. Didn't notice and put the new filter on, when I started the car and backed it off the ramp, it left a stream of oil down the driveway. I had to dig a hole to get under it to change the filter and find the problem. Lost about two quarts. Now I get a helper to watch for leaks at start up before the car leaves the ramp.

Yeah, usually the result of using a big jug rather than the bottles, when the oil capacity is less than the full 5 quarts.

What happens is that sometimes it's hard to measure just how much is left in the jug and to p=our and stop accordingly.

only one bad change. I went down to Columbus (100mi away), to hit the Pick n Pull for some Neon parts(air filter box, Upper dash, center console,etc, nothing major, just bulky) and while down there change the oil in my buddy's vibe when he got home from work. Get the vibe up on the ramps, just get the filter off, and am putting the socket on the drain plug, when he comes running out, that he had totally forgotten that he was supposed to be at the airport RIGHT THEN to pick up his mother in law who was just home from a trip to Scotland.(Like she had just called him standing out front of the airport with the luggage asking were he was) he can't take my car, since it's full of parts. so ok, shift it into high gear...

So this is my drain pan:
71dncY7cFML._SL256_.jpg

Kinda hard to see in that pic, but it has 4 little pieces of plastic over the hole to catch things like drain plugs that get dropped, well they had all broken off, so i got the bright idea of putting an appropriately sized sink strainer basket in the hole to catch things...bad Idea. the holes in the strainer weren't large enough for the hot oil to flow fast enough, so the funnel backs up and starts over flowing all over his parking pad....
i think i actually captured MAYBE 2 qts out of 4.5...
and even though they have 4 cats, at that time they had no spare clean litter to put down.

but, when I did the next OC this past spring, there was no sign of the oil spill on the concrete. woo hoo!

Dealer put Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel instead of 0W-40 Euro formula in my Ladybug (2009 Smart).

Ran terrible, transmission hunting, slow acceleration, etc...
Changed it myself after only 100 miles.
Put it in my Moms nurse's Saturn SL, it was nearly 3 quarts low (4 quart sump).
Discovered that diesel oil with lots of detergents can slow / stop Saturn oil burning, caused by clogged drainback grooves on the pistons....

Never told the Dealer, it was an honest mistake.
Paperwork even said 5W-40 oil was used...

I did the leave the oil plug out and refill trick on my LX. I had already poured most of a load of RLI SHP 5W20 onto the ground since I use a small pan than can barely contain the oil I drain out, let alone the additional.
The fact it was RLI just hurt even more.
Just recently when I did the last change on it, I used that same pan, and had a nice puddle on the ground, and then dripped all the way across the garage to where my bins are. The pan had developed a split and was leaking. Its only about 10 years old, I think.
Luckily Im prepared now. I have two bags of pig mats on hand.

One of the first times I ever changed oil myself, I double-gasketed an oil filter, which made a huge mess in the driveway and wasted some oil. I never made that mistake again and now always check for stuck gaskets.

Another time I put the old filter into the little cardboard box the new filter came in. As soon as I picked it up, the bottom of the box split open and the filter fell into a catch pan full of oil, which splashed oil everywhere. I now never trust oil filter boxes.

Had a stash of Fram filters for family fleet and put nearly identical Hyundai filter on the sons Acura. He promptly drove off, 10 minutes later I looked at the old filter box I had months earlier marked it HYUNDAI on bottom!? Called him, got it back up on the ramps, it was weeping oil at the filter.

It was about a year ago I needed to change the oil in the Chevy. I was tired of using the old litter pan that I've been using for years. Went to Autozone and got me a nice 7qt capacity pan. Put the pan under the car and proceeded to drain the oil. Unbeknownst to me there was a breather cap on there. After a quart on the driveway I found it, hands and arms covered in oil...

(I've told part of this story in the ramps topic, but not the whole thing...)
July this year after coming back from my PA/MD trip I needed to change the oil in the Jetta. Brought out my trusty Rhino Ramps and placed them right under the tires. My driveway is on a slight incline back, with it being a stick, it's a delicate balance of everything. I over judged and gave it too much throttle. Yea, right over them with a loud "BANG." In shock I got out of the car, which being in shock left it in neutral without the brake pulled. For some reason the ramps weren't jammed under there and as I pulled them out I wound up chasing after the car. No damage occurred for some strange reason.

Forgot to put back the oil fill cap more than once. The engine and hood insulator were covered with oil after few minutes of driving.

If you consider oil change as eating pizza or doing nasty, then as they say "even a bad oil change is a great oil change" :)

Originally Posted By: Delta
It was about a year ago I needed to change the oil in the Chevy. I was tired of using the old litter pan that I've been using for years. Went to Autozone and got me a nice 7qt capacity pan. Put the pan under the car and proceeded to drain the oil. Unbeknownst to me there was a breather cap on there. After a quart on the driveway I found it, hands and arms covered in oil...

(I've told part of this story in the ramps topic, but not the whole thing...)
July this year after coming back from my PA/MD trip I needed to change the oil in the Jetta. Brought out my trusty Rhino Ramps and placed them right under the tires. My driveway is on a slight incline back, with it being a stick, it's a delicate balance of everything. I over judged and gave it too much throttle. Yea, right over them with a loud "BANG." In shock I got out of the car, which being in shock left it in neutral without the brake pulled. For some reason the ramps weren't jammed under there and as I pulled them out I wound up chasing after the car. No damage occurred for some strange reason.

OH yeah, I did the drive over the ramps trick in my Mom's old Saturn a long time ago. It was a stick as well. I wasnt experienced on it, either, so that didn't help.
It didnt do any damage, though.

First oil change I did on my Cherokee I had drained the oil out and removed the filter with no problem. Went to refill and the oil cap was broken and wouldn't come off.

The success of avoiding a "bad" oil change is to have a stone driveway. You can hide a multitude of "sins" with a few shoe shuffles and a bag of clean stones
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back