Had A Bad Oil Change Experience Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I re learned a valuable lesson today. Shoulda known but became complacent since I haven't had any problems or a long time.
I went to Autozone near my house to get six quarts of Mobil 1 and a Delco PF63E for my Suburban. I normally buy Baldwin filters but I didn't have time today. Anyway, I get the oil but they didn't have the filter. Went to another store a few miles down the road and found two.
I go home, drive up on the ramps, drain the oil, remove the filter, fill the new filter and install it. I pour in the end of the quart that I filled the filter with and remove the cap from the five quart bottle. The foil seal is broken and the jug is full of dirty oil.
Here's the punch line... My wife was at work and there was no other car. I call the store and tell them what was happening and the guy says he'll give me new oil but he has no driver so he can't get it to me. I've only lived in the neighborhood a few months so it wasn't like I had a long time buddy I could ask for a ride. I was about to use my bicycle and a back pack when I saw one neighbor I am friendly with. I tell him what happened and asked if it would be possible to give me a ride. He says what kind of oil do you need and opens his garage and had a whole assortment of five quart jugs of Mobil 1. I couldn't believe it. I bought a bottle from him, poured it in my engine and went and got my money back.
I will never again buy oil without checking the seal. And to whoever returned that used oil, you need to be beaten to death.

This happened to me about 16 years ago with printer ink. I guess once every 16 years isn't TOO bad.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
The foil seal is broken and the jug is full of dirty oil.

You guys are scaring me with these stories. Sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
The foil seal is broken and the jug is full of dirty oil.

You guys are scaring me with these stories. Sorry to hear that.

Same hear,
Never happened to me,
Hope it never does...

I think stores should make it a habit to check any returned oil to make sure the seal has not been removed.

I always take my used oil to the store in the new oil's containers. I have been told to just leave the jugs by the back door. I wonder how often old jugs get put back on the shelf by someone on the next shift by mistake.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I think stores should make it a habit to check any returned oil to make sure the seal has not been removed.

This is something which I thought that every chain/store, save for Sino Mart, DID!
confused2.gif
mad.gif

So the lesson here is always check your oil and filter no matter which store you purchase it from. The oil varmints are everywhere.

Thanks for the story. Glad it worked out for you in the end with a good neighbor

When he opened the garage and I saw his collection, the first thing I thought was I bet anything he's on BITOG. I'll ask tomorrow.

The manager at the store said this happens from time to time. He thinks they do it when they're busy so they're less likely to check the seal. I also learned that Wal Mart is WAY cheaper than Autozone.

The trick would be to make oil and oil filters non returnable - refundable - period!
Who needs to return oil anyway?

I returned a bottle of carpet shampoo to Walmart and the returns person opened the bottle (it didn't have any sort of seal) and smelled it. When she did it, I actually said, "You're kidding ? You have to check because people will fill these back up with water or something and return them, huh?". She said yeap, people do that....

Not posting this in defense of Walmart, but they at least seem to have a rule or policy about this. Does it happen every time ? Of course not. Do the return clerks know what used oil smells like compared to new oil ? Nope, nor should they.

Several months ago, I was in a local Wal-Mart store looking at the selection of oil and I noticed two, one-quart bottles of oil that had paper labels that obviously had been at one time exposed to dirty oil. I got the store manager and explained to him that someone had obviously filled those bottles with used engine oil and returned them to the store. I explained that if the store sold those bottles that someone would be putting used oil in their engine. He thanked me and removed those bottles from the shelf.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Several months ago, I was in a local Wal-Mart store looking at the selection of oil and I noticed two, one-quart bottles of oil that had paper labels that obviously had been at one time exposed to dirty oil. I got the store manager and explained to him that someone had obviously filled those bottles with used engine oil and returned them to the store. I explained that if the store sold those bottles that someone would be putting used oil in their engine. He thanked me and removed those bottles from the shelf.

Nice.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
The trick would be to make oil and oil filters non returnable - refundable - period!
Who needs to return oil anyway?

This

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
so is your neighbor on this forum?

That's the most awesome part of the story! My neighbor makes fun of me for washing the car in the driveway.

It would be one of those things I would check. Who buys oil and doesn't use it?

It happens when your stash is too big, and you buy a car that requires a different viscosity, and you want to go by the carmaker's specs. I usually end up giving oil away, like the 7 quarts of 20w-50 I have for my 1987 Alfa that I sold this winter. NAPA won't exchange it without a receipt, I bet.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I always take my used oil to the store in the new oil's containers. I have been told to just leave the jugs by the back door. I wonder how often old jugs get put back on the shelf by someone on the next shift by mistake.

I think that is exactly what happens at Walmart. People don't find anyone at the auto counter and just leave the jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back