EV vehicles and crash safety

Have any studies been done on the effect of EV vehicles on real world crash safety? I was reading an article online in Car and Driver about the Chevy Silverado EV. When discussing the vehicle, I was astounded at the unladen vehicle weight of 8953 pounds or almost double a Chevy 1500 pickup! Seems like vehicles of this weight would result in much more severe injuries to more pedestrian ICE vehicle in an accident.

I realize there are many heavy ICE vehicles on the road but these are limited to heavy duty commercial vehicles and the numbers are not as high as privately owned vehicles. As more and more of these EVs are on the roads, I suspect crash fatalities may increase. I wonder if this has been studied or if it is an unintended consequence.

There were a few tests floating around - - - -
Bottom line - - - These vehicles were pumped out to try and capitalize on a demand and make some wild money.
But - - - not really tested for safety of others.

Many times industry needs to be regulated because they rarely do it themselves.
Just because you can build something does not really mean you should ........

These EV trucks are deadly in a collision - even low speed collisions.

Have any studies been done on the effect of EV vehicles on real world crash safety? I was reading an article online in Car and Driver about the Chevy Silverado EV. When discussing the vehicle, I was astounded at the unladen vehicle weight of 8953 pounds or almost double a Chevy 1500 pickup! Seems like vehicles of this weight would result in much more severe injuries to more pedestrian ICE vehicle in an accident.

I realize there are many heavy ICE vehicles on the road but these are limited to heavy duty commercial vehicles and the numbers are not as high as privately owned vehicles. As more and more of these EVs are on the roads, I suspect crash fatalities may increase. I wonder if this has been studied or if it is an unintended consequence.

Case in point......
Imagine that was a side hit on a minivan loaded with people......!

Don't know if there have been studies but i agree 100%. Emagine sitting in a small car lets say a Civic and 8953 pounds slams in to you. Your dead it's that simple. Scary stuff.
I think the only thing weighing that much is the Hummer EV which are quite rare around here. You have more of a chance of getting hit by a lifted pickup or an 18-wheeler.

There were a few tests floating around - - - -
Bottom line - - - These vehicles were pumped out to try and capitalize on a demand and make some wild money.
But - - - not really tested for safety of others.

Many times industry needs to be regulated because they rarely do it themselves.
Just because you can build something does not really mean you should ........

These EV trucks are deadly in a collision - even low speed collisions.
They could also be driving up insurance rates for everyone because of their weight and damage they can do when they crash, or burn.

Wow! The way that thing parted that guard rail is scary. I know it failed at a bolted joint but most passenger vehicles would be at least partially deflected by the rail. That thing just plowed through.

I think the only thing weighing that much is the Hummer EV which are quite rare around here. You have more of a chance of getting hit by a lifted pickup or an 18-wheeler.
Very true, for now... Fortunately EV sales only account for a small percentage of vehicles sold. As they become more popular AND mandated this will certainly change. Unless battery technology changes, these vehicle weights will only go up as manufacturers strive for greater range per charge.

Very true, for now... Fortunately EV sales only account for a small percentage of vehicles sold. As they become more popular AND mandated this will certainly change. Unless battery technology changes, these vehicle weights will only go up as manufacturers strive for greater range per charge.
I agree, and probably drive insurance rates up for everyone.

Wow! The way that thing parted that guard rail is scary. I know it failed at a bolted joint but most passenger vehicles would be at least partially deflected by the rail. That thing just plowed through.
Very scary

No matter how hard you try, you cannot avoid or subvert the laws of physics.

Ironic, is it not, that to get more fuel efficient, cars and trucks have to become lighter (lighter materials, thinner materials, etc). And yet to get more range and power, EVs have to get ever heavier (larger batteries and motors), thereby consuming more power just to haul themselves down the road, as well as tear up that road (more wear and tear; it's already a thing many municipalities and states are recognizing).

No kidding! That video was remarkable to watch.

Having seen any number of race car crashes, often at well over 60MPH, guardrails and other barriers do hold up to lightweight vehicles. But whoa, the inertia of an EV can be, if anything other than a glancing blow, too much for common safety devices.

I'd be in favour of a restricted range of bumper heights and a maximum weight limit for all light trucks (quarter ton, half ton and 3/4 ton), SUVs and cars. And while we're at it, a restricted range of heights for headlights. That would put an end to a lot of this craziness.

Crash helmet on.
Me too.......

I think that anyone a little brighter than a bag of rice can see trucks as the wrong choice for EV implementation.
These are large and heavy vehicles to begin with and have the aerodynamics of a small shed. To give these things acceptable range requires a lot of battery, which involves a lot of weight.
If ever there was a class of vehicles that stands out as ideal for the ICE, trucks are it and if ever there was a class of vehicle that shouldn't be BEVs, trucks are a good example.

I think that anyone a little brighter than a bag of rice can see trucks as the wrong choice for EV implementation.
These are large and heavy vehicles to begin with and have the aerodynamics of a small shed. To give these things acceptable range requires a lot of battery, which involves a lot of weight.
If ever there was a class of vehicles that stands out as ideal for the ICE, trucks are it and if ever there was a class of vehicle that shouldn't be BEVs, trucks are a good example.
Yup

Ironic, is it not, that to get more fuel efficient, cars and trucks have to become lighter (lighter materials, thinner materials, etc). And yet to get more range and power, EVs have to get ever heavier (larger batteries and motors), thereby consuming more power just to haul themselves down the road, as well as tear up that road (more wear and tear; it's already a thing many municipalities and states are recognizing).
Ironic isn't it? When you get the right people behind the push for EVs they'll allow these overweight death traps to get away with things like this. OTOH they'll hobble and over regulate ICE vehicles putting unrealistic fuel economy goals and emission requirements to ultimately try and phase them out.

Weight of a Tesla Model 3 - 3,862 to 4,054 lbs

Weight of a Tesla Model Y - 4,154 to 4,398 lbs

Weight of a Hyundai Santa Fe - 4,343 to 4,486 lbs

Weight of a 2024 Chevy Silverado EV - 8,953 pounds

Weight of a Ford F350 Limited 4x4 SD Crew Cab 8 ft. box 176 in. - 8,127 pounds

Weight of a Rivian R1T - 7,148 pounds

Weight of a Ford F-150 Lightning - 6,015 to 6,893 pounds

Weight isn't really an EV issue. It's an American full-sized truck issue.

Back