EV car camping

In a Kia EV6. he normally drives a lifted Ford Ranger Diesel for his adventures, but decided to take the wife's EV6 for a camping trip

He was also on the waiting list for the Cybertruck truck, but then realized, an EV is not for his youtube channel, as the Cybertruck is too huge, and charging enroute to his sites would add too much time.

EV for camping would be interesting. It is as you expected, the electric on the go convenience and the range anxiety combined. As the only vehicle camping I would be a bit worried even if it means supercharger is not too far away, so plug in hybrid for camping might be a better choice as long as you are turning off the engine at night when you sleep.

Since camping convenience is correlated to van life and homeless encampment, what works now will trickle down to homeless in the future. What would happen if in the future people camping next to charger at night instead of Walmart parking lot?

That was fun to watch, I really enjoyed this video.
I did not watch all 3 hrs and I skipped through much of the video but, it was entertaining for sure.
I won't personally be attempting this camping experience but it but I certainly liked watching the video.

It's very cool being out in the middle of nowhere talking to a camera and saying anything you want. It's all about you and what message you want to put out there. Just a man and his dog. (y)

Last edited:
I was thinking of this, especially with the eSprinter coming out. It might even make sense to get an RV space at some campgrounds if they include electrical hookups that can be used to charge, although I'm not sure if that would be allowed.

When I was looking around for places to go in a Tesla, I found that they've got Superchargers in Yosemite Valley now. Rivian is also providing a lot of charging stations (might be free as a promotional thing?) in several national parks and similar areas but I think they're only Level 2.

It really depends on how you plan it, for one day one car it is definitely doable, if you want to do multiple days and multiple cars, I would make sure at least a couple in the fleet are gas and the "EV" would be kept stationary as the power source, and driven out to charge as needed and driver brought back and forth between charging station and camp site.

It really depends on how you plan it, for one day one car it is definitely doable, if you want to do multiple days and multiple cars, I would make sure at least a couple in the fleet are gas and the "EV" would be kept stationary as the power source, and driven out to charge as needed and driver brought back and forth between charging station and camp site.

It would need to be planned. I think I mentioned my recent trip with the family to Redwood National and State Parks. Didn't go camping since my parents wouldn't have been able to do it, but there were numerous places to camp all around. At least with a Tesla, the only Superchargers were in Eureka and Crescent City, but there were likely Chargepoint and other stations. When I mentioned an EV to a ranger, she said they had free charging (like Level 2) at their "park HQ", although when we passed by it their "South Operations Center".

It would need to be planned. I think I mentioned my recent trip with the family to Redwood National and State Parks. Didn't go camping since my parents wouldn't have been able to do it, but there were numerous places to camp all around. At least with a Tesla, the only Superchargers were in Eureka and Crescent City, but there were likely Chargepoint and other stations. When I mentioned an EV to a ranger, she said they had free charging (like Level 2) at their "park HQ", although when we passed by it their "South Operations Center".

Agree. A friend of mine went to Yosemite in his EV and was able to go the entire trip not only from our area but also the entire trip inside Yosemite with no charging problem. Staying inside to camp would require some side trips to charging stations, but if you are not in a hurry it is doable.

Agree. A friend of mine went to Yosemite in his EV and was able to go the entire trip not only from our area but also the entire trip inside Yosemite with no charging problem. Staying inside to camp would require some side trips to charging stations, but if you are not in a hurry it is doable.

I haven't been to Yosemite since maybe 2014 (where we did camp), but I understand that the really nasty thing is finding parking in Yosemite Valley. Having your own parking space at a campground is really nice. Although there are theoretically some lots only for those staying at The Ahwanee or Yosemite Lodge (Housekeeping allows parking at the site) it's not typically enough and parking isn't guaranteed even if staying there. Most of the lots at those places are open to anyone and I have parked there and took the shuttle around.

There should be adequate turnover. But I might worry about it if I had something other than a Tesla. I've seen way too many times when a ChargePoint station was down, and I'm not sure how reliable real-time status is, along with real-time availability. Also - a lot can be Level 2 and I'm not sure how convenient it would be to unload equipment at the campsite. Obviously things like food have to go in the bear box, and I have some interesting stories about those.

Sounds like a good way for forest fires to start. I mean, it's an EV and a Hyundai/Kia.
It really depends. Friend's car burn down in company parking lot because they didn't sweep away the leaves and his cat ignited the leaves under it. Honda Civic too.

Back