Euro Motor Oil for GM 1.5T DI

Would I be better off running a euro 0w20 in my new 1.5 Turbo? It’s not officially Dexos1. I was thinking Liqui Moly. Currently plan on running good ole ‘merican spec Mobil 1.

Would I be better off running a euro 0w20 in my new 1.5 Turbo? It’s not officially Dexos1. I was thinking Liqui Moly. Currently plan on running good ole ‘merican spec Mobil 1.
What does owners manual says?
After warranty, run anything MB229.52, which are heavy 0/5W30 or light 0/5W40 oils.

What will OP give up by using an oil of choice that isn't Dexos. What would a Dexos do for him that a Euro won't do? For some reason I understood his engine to be a GM but looking back at his post he doesn't say it is.

What will OP give up by using an oil of choice that isn't Dexos. What would a Dexos do for him that a Euro won't do? For some reason I understood his engine to be a GM but looking back at his post he doesn't say it is.
His profile says it’s an equinox 1.5. I think he might be looking for something similar to what I am. A thicker sided, turbo and cat friendly low saps, low Noack, low Vll super oil.

If using a non-GM "recommended" oil, you should consider a non-GM oil change interval. They don't give you grade options... The manual says to use a 0w-20.

If it were mine, I'd use a full synthetic 5w30 and 1/2 the interval(maybe 5k miles instead of 10k) or adapt to OLM, if equipped.

If you want to stick with 0w20, dexos is only recommended. You can use ANY 0w20 that you want. Dexos is recommended but NOT required.
For example, you can use a euro oil. For example:

For the LYX 1.5L L4 turbo engine, use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil. For the LTG 2.0L L4 turbo engine, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil. Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

Recommended Fluids, Lubricants, and Parts
Engine oil meeting the dexos1 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 full synthetic is recommended.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me on this forum is the tidal wave of members that are absolutely convinced that the OEM engineers have it wrong and that they have an inside line on a euro standard super oil that is better for their car.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me on this forum is the tidal wave of members that are absolutely convinced that the OEM engineers have it wrong and that they have the inside line on some off spec super oil.

Last edited:
Its not doubting engineers, its the knowledge that euro spec oils provide better protection. Also, knowing that the indicated spec isnt necessarily the first choice of the engineers, rather, a balance of protection, fuel economy, and price.

If using a non-GM "recommended" oil, you should consider a non-GM oil change interval. They don't give you grade options... The manual says to use a 0w-20.

If it were mine, I'd use a full synthetic 5w30 and 1/2 the interval(maybe 5k miles instead of 10k) or adapt to OLM, if equipped.

If you want to stick with 0w20, dexos is only recommended. You can use ANY 0w20 that you want. Dexos is recommended but NOT required.
For example, you can use a euro oil. For example:

For the LYX 1.5L L4 turbo engine, use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil. For the LTG 2.0L L4 turbo engine, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil. Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

Recommended Fluids, Lubricants, and Parts
Engine oil meeting the dexos1 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 full synthetic is recommended.
I was also looking at that ESP. Will that meet the LSPI requirements of dexos?

One thing that never ceases to amaze me on this forum is the tidal wave of members that are absolutely convinced that the OEM engineers have it wrong and that they have an inside line on a euro standard super oil that is better for their car.
Keep in mind, many owners manuals, like mine, specify several different grades of oil that can be used. That is what this site is all about, finding a better oil, even if its 'what the manufacturer recommends', and in some instances, engineers are forced to find the best compromise for CAFE reasons, and standard engine life only. Some of us, want something better.

Curious to what you go with. I have a similar version of the 1.5T in my 2017 Malibu, but it calls for 5W-30.

Well, those same engineers gave us an unlimited number of TSBs, recalls, class actions to deal with their oh so well engineered products, ........

Engineers are told what to do from non-engineers in marketing and cost-accounting

So, if somebody wants to use something different, more power to them.

Back