EU fines Intel $1.45 billion for sales tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stockrex
those communista govts of these bakward nations, they are worse than chavez ;-)

You're joking aren't you ?

Paying people to use your gear at the exclusion of the competition would see you in Jail down here.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
I read the articles...lol, complete waste of time.

Well, with one exception, LOL.

"It said AMD offered 1 million free chips to one manufacturer — which could not accept because that would lose it a rebate on many millions of other chips. It only took 160,000 free chips in the end, regulators said."

No fine for AMD selling below cost, LOL.

Australia has some of the toughtest and best trade practices laws in the world...they are far reaching and still being interpreted.

To pay people to use your gear exclusively is illegal. To sell at below cost in one location to force another out of the market is illegal.

Giving away free product on a trial basis or as a loyalty "bonus" is either legal or illegal depending on how it's implemented...there would be no problems at all handing over a million free items if you are trying to enter a market...prolonged "loyalty" freebies that pushed the unit price down as per my first para would be illegal.

And perhaps, had Intel decided to build its new fabs in the EU instead of the US, then perhaps this wouldn't be news. Intel's 7 billion dollar fab expansion (primarily in the US) probably wasn't something they want to hear when AMD is suffering financially while planning future expansion into EU economies.

Of course this is all hypothetical...as I said before.

But to assume this fine has no political motivation from the EU, LOL.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Did you read the articles?

Fair is fair...

LOL Don't ask him to actually work at developing his own opinion...
LOL.gif

well mon ami I am disgusted as intel wants to become the king of the hill and remain there at any cost.
what Intel is doing and has done, has been done by many other big US based corps.
Anti-competitive practices are everyday practices here is US, and there are no EU body to fine em.

Take a peek at your movie theater chains, independent movie makers do not stand a chance against the monopolistic big movie houses who dictate what will be screened.

I wonder if EU would have done the same if was an EU based firm?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: stockrex
those communista govts of these bakward nations, they are worse than chavez ;-)

You're joking aren't you ?

Paying people to use your gear at the exclusion of the competition would see you in Jail down here.

Mr. Bill basically closed out most of the competition if they don't pay him tribute. It's good work if you can get it. People bribing you for access to the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back