Ethernet port not working T520 win10

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...

Lenovo T520,
Windows 10,
Ethernet adapter model: Intel 82579LM Gigabit network connection)

A few days ago we had a lightening strike near our home and both the router and modem ports got fried as a result.
Replaced both and all was well.

I usually use my laptop connected directly to the modem via ethernet cable, and it was working fine after the new modem/router was setup.

Today, all of a sudden i can't connect to the internet via Ethernet port (WIFI works fine)
When I check the adapter settings the adapter is working properly according to Win10 (But red X and "Ethernet cable is unplugged" message, although it's plugged in)
Restarted laptop, updated win 10, enable and disabled the network adapter - no change. (I did NOT uninstall and reinstall the whole network adapter - a bit scared to do that)

The LED lights at the Ethernet port of laptop are NOT lit up; SAME with modem port.
Tested cable: fine, (works on other laptop)
Tested modem port: fine with other laptop
tried different port on modem: no change
tried different cable: no change
checked network adapter: no yellow exclamation point in device manager; same in BIOS; it is ENABLED
Updated driver of the network adapter: no change

So modem and router are fine, as other laptop works when connected via ethernet cable

I cannot imagine it had anything to do with the lightening even though the laptop was connected via ethernet cable at the time (not in use), because it has been 5 days since that happened....

NOTE: wife did mention there was a brief drop of internet connection sometime before I discovered this. She said it lasted only a few minutes.
What can it be? i am suspicious if the short internet outage changed something but then how come wife's laptop still works? and wireless also works even on mine...

is the port itself somehow physically damaged? IDK how that could be though; I hardly unplug the cable on this laptop. There's a little bit of play with the connection but i think it's normal, and nothing happened to pull on the cable or anything like that..
I am not sure if one can easily replace the ethernet port on a T520

(I am thinking of getting a USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter dongle in the meantime, hope that would work and give me the full 300 mpbs from modem I used to get with ethernet port.)

Any ideas? Thanks I.A.

Last edited:
It's the port. You've eliminated every other variable.

Also, something to keep in mind, lightning damage does not always result in immediate hard failures. So just because it was working for 5 days, doesn't mean it isn't the cause.

Everything that was plugged in at the time could be suspect. Everything.

Originally Posted by Subdued

Also, something to keep in mind, lightning damage does not always result in immediate hard failures. So just because it was working for 5 days, doesn't mean it isn't the cause.

sigh, that's what I was afraid of. A "delayed" lightening reaction.
You're right: The Roku was the other thing that was connected to router: also POOF!

Guess it's time to invest in a good UPS with data line protection ....

Now my only hope is the gigabit USB (usb 2.0 but should be good for 450 mbps) ethernet dongle will work for a wired connection.
(I think the LAN adapter is integrated into the motherboard, so that means can't replace just the LAN, right?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Subdued

Certainly sounds like it.

For all things Thinkpad, I use this forum and always get stellar technical advice:

https://forum.thinkpads.com//

Outstanding community.

Yep, replacing that ethernet port would require a system board replacement.

It's a 7 year old laptop, may as well go the USB dongle route.

Look in your diagnostic files and see if any patches were installed between the time of the lightening strike and now. Possibly something that was updated affected the ethernet port.

My Computer > Computer Management > Event Viewer and check the various logs. Also check the Lenovo site for similar problems. Also agree with Subdued that electrical surges can cause delayed damage: sometimes just one popped capacitor will allow a device to "semi" work, but then additional problems occur on the circuit. Not sure on the T520 but perhaps the enet device is on a smaller card and can be replaced by itself. Or maybe an ebay parts T520 where the display is broken but the rest is still good. You can get the etherhet / udb subsystem for $10 on eBay- search for " lenovo t520 ethernet "

According to Lenovo your laptop was not tested for Windows 10.

Lenovo devices tested for Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018)

If your device is not listed in the table below, your system was not tested by Lenovo and updated drivers may not be available.

The computer I am using now was running Windows 7 in July. After a power outage on-board LAN died. Installed Windows 10 and LAN card. Confirmed the issue of the dead on-board LAN by running diagnostic software from HP. The thing is it was fine until I did the last update this week. Then I started getting the booting beep error and message I had months ago. Something in the Windows update caused it. So I would not rule out Windows 10 causing your issue.

It looks like Lenovo has diagnostic tool you can install if you have not done so. Says it checks hardware.

Lenovo Solution Center (LSC)

Last. Got tired of boot error and just put a drive with Mint in it. Boot error gone but the dead on-board lan does not work with Linux either. You may want to try Linux with DVD or Flash Drive. If the Lan works with Linux then Windows 10 may be the issue.

The T520 was actually in the original list Lenovo had for win 10 compatible machines. Then after a few weeks lenovo removed it.
Like many other t520 users I updated to windows 10 from 7 over a year ago successfully. Never had any trouble since then and with any updates. The last update was also done and had no issues with internet or anything. If this was caused by a win 10'update I'd think it would start immediately after the update.
I did run the Lenovo diagnostic scan and it doesn't detect anything. The LAN adapter even shows up as normal on BIOS and device manager too. Driver is up to date.

I am leaning towards it being a delayed effect from the whole electrical surge issue we had due to lightening. It was bad enough to fry everything else connected to the router so I guess it did damage the port like you guys said even after a delay. It was a pretty bad lightening strike. Our sprinkler system and alarm system also got affected and a tree in our neighbor's yard actually caught fire.
Or could have been much worse I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back