"Ethanol Free" Fuel, May Not Be

Have been using 90 w/o E non Top Tier many years for small engines that share hose with 87 w/E10 and 89 w/E5 . No issues . Many here have same hose for all grades and have changed over to non Top Tier . :rolleyes:

newer Sheets have a DEDICATED hose for E-0 + its priced BETTER than EVERYWHERE else + be aware many CHAIN saws recommend higher oct as well as NO eath!!

Last edited:
So I guess that if you are purchasing E0 from a shared hose pump you should put a gallon or two in your car first before filling up whatever container you use to take it home for your OPE. I have two 20 liter Jerry Jugs and bring it home 10 gallens at a time. All of the stations serving up E0 near me have dedicated hoses.

Last edited:
newer Sheets have a DEDICATED hose for E-0 + its priced BETTER than EVERYWHERE else + be aware many CHAIN saws recommend higher oct as well as NO eath!!
I filled the C-Max at a Sheetz in Gettysburg last Thursday. I believe the 90 Octane E0 was $4.559/gal. My owner's manual recommends running 91 Octane fuel in warmer weather. I topped up at a Rutter's in Inwood, WV on Saturday with 90 Octane E0 at the same price. My car isn't likely to need gas for a few months but the OPE will. Wawa 89 Octane E0 is the only convenient option for me and I have to drive at least 15 miles to get it. I purchase 10 gallons at a time for the OPE and also fill whatever car I take, so it's not an inconvenience.

Everywhere I have ever purchased E0 had a dedicated hose. I tanked up the C-Max twice last week in PA and WV with 90 Octane E0. It was about $1 more per gallon than 87 Octane E10. Normally I purchase 89 Octane E0 at a $0.50 premium over 87 Octane E10. It occurs to me that I've paid a similar or lower premium to get 91 Octane E0 at Stewart's Shops in NY and VT.

Are any of you out there old enough to remember when Sunoco stations had a dial your octane pump? IIRC there were eight grades running up to 96 Octane. Those were the days...
Yep. Every Sunoco pump had “190 through 260.” We’d fill up with 260 before every Woodward Ave. trip. I just read somewhere it was 97.5 by current octane ratings.

Yep. Every Sunoco pump had “190 through 260.” We’d fill up with 260 before every Woodward Ave. trip. I just read somewhere it was 97.5 by current octane ratings.
I recall as a young teenager that car buffs would tune their engines to run on a specific grade in that 190 to 260 range. These were young family men, usually former motorheads, who would tune the family sedan or station wagon to run on 210 or 220.

I only have one station in town with dedicated pumps for ethanol free. If I go to a station where they don't and I need some for my mower or snowblower, I just top the car off before I fill the container. I do run my car primarily on ethanol free, but that's just because it's the most reliable and affordable way to get 91 octane for the minimum requirements of my tune. It's not worth $0.40 more a gallon just to get 10% 93 octane in my opinion.

Discovered this . It's from the American Muscle Car Museum . Shares the same gas nozzle for the blends .

Sometimes I run into a P66 or Cenex that will have 93 clear, 89 and 87 so if I don't remember where I'm at in my tank of fuel mix, I buy the 89 and get some e10 and some with none. Car holds 17.2 gallons, so I'd I can keep 3-4 gallons of non ethanol it seems a bit more responsive, but if I got 93 clear I dont get much of a gain over the 89 probably because it needs a better tune and live datalog.

Fortunately sheetz has seperate hoses for: E0, E15, E85, and 87/89/93.

If I'm pumping 93 for my atv I always put the first few gallons into whatever vehicle I'm driving so I know I'm getting straight 93 in my 6 gallon can

My motorcycle used premium- only held 1.7 gallons when empty. Lot of times I needed less than a gallon. I would look at a few pumps and using a little in my head math calculate the cost per gallon of the last customer. Look for one that used premium or at least mid grade.

The only way around it, is to buy more than you need. Then first pump a couple of gallons into your car or truck... Then fill your small engine gas can.
Or try and find a pump where the last guy filled up with ethanol free

I use Country Fair / Kwik Fill stations in Erie PA and they have a dedicated ethanol free pump. Its dark yellow fuel like back in the 90's.

I hope it continues.

I have a totally kohler / kawasaki tractor fleet, and frankly they run fine on E10. However the 30 pieces of two stroke eqipment I have needs the ethanol free.

Still gotta walk through the lobby with a gas can.
If there's a lobby it's still too big of an airport 😉 You should be able to find an unsecured small strip somewhere with self serve 100LL I would guess, although not sure how far you would have to travel to find one.l where you live.

Back