Esso XD-3 0W30 is only synthetic blend according to ESSO dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called to order a case of 12 of XD-3 0W30. But right before making it final I asked whether it is fully synthetic. Answer was no. Only Mobil 1 0W30 is the pure synthetic that they have, which cost twice the price of the XD-3 0W30. So I hung up. Going to Walmart instead.

Well, I've read on here that at one time, yes the 0w30 was indeed a synthetic blend. Sounds to me like that dealer you were talking to isn't aware of the change that occured a few years ago. Any new batch of 0w30 you buy will be the full synthetic. Maybe you should call that dealer back and let him know.

The Technical Data sheets say that the 0W-30 & 0W-40 are full synthetic oils, apparantly, the dealer does not read the data sheets
rolleyes.gif

Bah the dealer probably wanted you to buy the m1 at twice the price and twice his profit.

Err...I don't think I've ever seen anything "0W" that's not a full synth.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller??

Go back to that Esso dealer show him the Technical Data sheet and buy the XD-3 0W30. Don't waste the cash on expensive M1 at Walmart.

I'm moderately sure that Canadian Tire was selling a synthetic blend 0W30 when I went in yesterday. It was Formula 1, which is one of their many house brands.

Well I went back today to check, and yep. Formula 1 0W30 synthetic blend. Rated SJ so it's probably been gathering dust for a while.

If it says "synthetic blend" then thats what it is.If it's labeled "synthetic" then there you go.The label on my XD-3 0W-40 reads "synthetic" and the data sheets also states that the 0W-30 is PAO base synthetic and thats what I would go by.I find it irritating when I know more about a product than the people making a living off it.
banghead.gif

I got the same story when I called a bulk dealer about prices on PetroCan 0w30 (Arctic). It came out to about $4.50/L. He then said it was a blend. I pointed him to the on line spec sheet, and then he said, he had to check further and would call back. Hasn't yet. My guess is that they assume quality based on price. That $4 range does not ring like a synthetic price. I also found that 0w30 Arctic was $6.50 at a gas station, so I'm quite sure the product was right and the price was right. Perhaps the Canadian petro companies feel they have to compete for that grade. Seems strange as I suspect it is not real popular overall.

That's the first 0w-30 synth blend (SB
pat.gif
) that I've ever seen and ..I guess it's limited to the frozen north.
confused.gif

If Canada can produce a 0w-30, of any composition, cheaper then anyone bothers to in the US ..then there has to be some reason why we don't have it south of the border.

Petro Canada also produces a 0W-30 synthetic blend, called 'Duron XL 0W-30'. Its similar to the Rotella 0W-30 in that it is a thick, 12-cst weight syn blend designed for heavy duty usage. The PC full-syn 0w-30 is a much thinner, gas-only 0w-30 with a visc. of about 10.4 cst. I've called about that one and been quoted $4.33/litre from distributor. Good price, even if it is a Group 3.....

If we could get these 0w-30 HDEOs here I would use nothing else. I know people in the rockies and the northern tear are a market for it. I've seen my neighbor up at our cabin try and start his powerstroke when it's 15 below; even on a timer, it's like rar.............rar................click..........nothing. 15w-40 is all he ever uses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back