ESET causing print problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed ESET NOD 32 Antivirus Version 7 about a month ago here on my PC and wife's laptop. Just a few days ago we found we were unable to do any printing after installing ESET. We don't do a lot of printing here at home so it took a while to notice the problem.

I have a desktop HP pc, hers is a Toshiba laptop. Both running Windows 7 and Firefox. I have a wireless TP Link router that is about 4 years old and we have a Brother MFC-J430W wireless printer/fax/copier/scanner all in one unit, it is maybe 2 years old now. Her laptop, my PC and our router all worked fine before we got ESET. Before we got ESET we had the free version of Avast and had no problems printing.

Both computers are working fine except we can not print. I think ESET is blocking my printer somehow and have been online in various forums and can not find a solution. I tried temporarily disabling ESET and still could not print then either. I can not figure out how to set an exclusion for my printer in ESET, I have "ESET" exluded but still no joy with the printer.

Earlier tonight I called the ESET tech support line, I was on hold for 15 minutes and then I selected the option to leave a voice mail but they have yet to call me back. I would greatly appreciate the help if anyone here knows what to do.

When you go to the printer on the computer, does it say it's offline or online?

I personally would stick with the free version of Avast...it's all I run.

I would hesitate to blame eset for 2 separate computers having an issue printing that I've never heard of(being caused by eset)

Did the printer perhaps change addresses?

try power cycling everything?

is the router hooked to the printer with ethernet or wireless?

I used to run avast but its bloatware now.

I'd say its more likely a network issue.
You can always try uninstalling eset and see if it fixes it (I doubt it but stranger things have happend)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. This is beyond me. I am sorry for "blaming" ESET but the printer worked just fine before I switched over to ESET so naturally I think ESET had something to do with the problem. ESET is a great program; I am not holding them at fault on this at all however I do wish they would call me back some time soon..

Printer is offline in Printers and Faxes in the control panel. I tried running the CD that came with the printer, it says it cannot find the IP address of my router. I went to the Brother site and printed out the WLAN report and manually entered the SSID and other info through the printer keypad and could not figure out how to get to the next step on the printer.

For some reason the printer is not connecting to my router. That leads me to something is blocking the printer from my router/home network. Now that I have the WLAN report I will try the printer driver disc again.

I appreciate your help on this. I freely admit I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

I ran the CD again and now it is giving me an error saying the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed, contact my system administrator. I have no idea what that is or what it means.

Uninstall ESET and see if that fixes printing.

I highly doubt ESET has anything to do with it. A corrupt Windows Installer Service means your Windows installation might be screwed up.

I have no idea how to fix this. I got a help file from the MS site and put some long command called Msirepair.reg that they provided, I copied it on a text file and was supposed to run it as an admin, but there is no admin priviledge on the file. I Googled "unable to run as admin" and got back what I believe is telling me my registry is messed up. That and a screwed up Windows install would make sense because in my infinite wisdom the other day I ran CCleaner to delete temp files and "clean up the registry". I was only trying to clean up junk files to help my computer work better. I probably ran something that I had no business running and that knocked out the printer or turned off its wireless communication to my router. ESET is not at fault here, I wish I could edit the title of this thread and change it to "I am an idiot and screwed up my registry".

God only knows what else I screwed up here, but the rest of my computer works fine. All programs work OK and nothing is out of the ordinary besides the printer. Is there a way to fix this? I tried doing a system restore to an earlier time but the available times were all after I made that CCleaner mistake.

Again, thanks for your help. I won't be able to work on this again until tomorrow night but I appreciate any tips and advice.

I don't understand, is this printer connected directly to the router? Is the other computer able to print? I think the problem is with the network or the printer itself, not the PCs. Without understanding the architecture/overall view of how everything is connected, everyone here is going to be taking shots in the dark.

At a certain point you need to cut your losses and just back things up and start from scratch, if the problem is truly with the PC.

Printer is wireless and runs through my router/wireless home network. I also have a usb cable connecting the printer to my desktop pc. The wi-fi icon on the printer display is not lit up like it usually is when the printer is online and working. Neither my pc or wife's laptop can print right now. I don't know if eset is blocking the wi fi access or if the registry error is tbe cause but my lprinter can not go online. Maybe I need to call Brother about the problem but they may not help much on a registry problem.

Wait, why is the printer using a cable AND going over the network? Shouldn't it be one or the other?

Disable the wifi printing on the printer and plug is straight into one of your computers.

Eset did call me about an hour ago. Nod32 has no firewall so it is unable to block my printer. The problem is on my end somewhere. The usb is there because that is how I first ran the printer until I enabled the wireless later on. I just never disconnected the usb cable.

sounds like a network issue.

Not to be a negative nancy but I'm not a fan of
"toiletpaper link" routers either.

I still dont think its anything you have done.. eset or otherwise.

You have 2 computers that stopped printing.

That points to the router or printer as the fault.

Its most likely that the printer and router are not connected now (wirelessly) and you need to fix that.. or figure out why its not working.

If I'm not mistaken that model DOESNT have an ethernet port on it(printer)

EDIT: see next post for troubleshooting instructions.

Last edited:
ok so I think you should follow the brother trouble shooting steps on this page

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.as...02808_000#caseB

Goto that page about halfway down you will see the below instructions

CASE B: You used to be able to print or scan over the wireless network, but can no longer perform this function.

If you were able to print or scan over the wireless network, but can no longer, first turn off your Brother machine and then turn it back on.

If the issue continues, check your machine's wireless status by printing the WLAN report.
Click here to check the wireless status on the WLAN report.

If your WLAN report is stating "Connection OK", although you can not print, refer to "Check the wireless status on the WLAN report" and check "Connection: OK".

follow all the instructions on that page.

you could also just try resetting it up

using these instructions
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.as...faq00002794_005

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Rand. I am at work now but will check the printer again when I get home. One question though, if the router is bad then wouldn't that stop my wife's laptop from working too?

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Thanks for the tips Rand. I am at work now but will check the printer again when I get home. One question though, if the router is bad then wouldn't that stop my wife's laptop from working too?

Not necessarily.

Originally Posted By: Rand
ok so I think you should follow the brother trouble shooting steps on this page

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.as...02808_000#caseB

Goto that page about halfway down you will see the below instructions

CASE B: You used to be able to print or scan over the wireless network, but can no longer perform this function.

If you were able to print or scan over the wireless network, but can no longer, first turn off your Brother machine and then turn it back on.

If the issue continues, check your machine's wireless status by printing the WLAN report.
Click here to check the wireless status on the WLAN report.

If your WLAN report is stating "Connection OK", although you can not print, refer to "Check the wireless status on the WLAN report" and check "Connection: OK".

follow all the instructions on that page.

you could also just try resetting it up

using these instructions
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.as...faq00002794_005

Thanks again Rand! I did the manual reset on the printer and it works now. For some reason I also had to re-download the drivers and software on my pc, but my wife's laptop did not need it. Somehow I must have erased the printer drivers or the wireless info for the printer the other day when I was monkeying around with CCleaner. I won't be using CCleaner again, I am not computer-smart enough to use it.

I do appreciate your help on this.

smile.gif
glad that worked for you
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back