Chromebook & HP M15W laser printer

I suggested my daughter get a low end laser printer to print out school work for her son who is 7. I thought ink jet would use too much ink. Her son has a Chromebook. Daughter has a Windows work laptop.

I am doing this all remotely. But have little experience with a Chromebook.

Not sure if the Chromebook can drive it directly with USB cable. Maybe network cable.

She has not had success getting it setup for wireless. I believe you need to use your browser to logon to the printer to setup it up all the way. I had to do that on my Xerox laser printer. I connected a network cable between my Xerox printer and laptop to do that.

Modern printers are generally wireless; they are easily found on your wireless network.
Chromebooks are awesome, depending on her needs. Many schools use them due to low cost and ease of use.
Everything is done is the Chrome browser; data is stored safely and is accessible anywhere you can connect on any machine.

I am using a Pixelbook Go as my everyday computer; I take it everywhere. This is a premium Chrombook, starts about $600.
Another good choice is the Asus C434.

I love my Chromie. Good luck.
These things are the future.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Modern printers are generally wireless; they are easily found on your wireless network.
Chromebooks are awesome, depending on her needs. Many schools use them due to low cost and ease of use.
Everything is done is the Chrome browser; data is stored safely and is accessible anywhere you can connect on any machine.

I am using a Pixelbook Go as my everyday computer; I take it everywhere. This is a premium Chrombook, starts about $600.
Another good choice is the Asus C434.

I love my Chromie. Good luck.
These things are the future.

Getting it setup in wireless mode is the issue.

Originally Posted by Donald
I suggested my daughter get a low end laser printer to print out school work for her son who is 7. I thought ink jet would use too much ink. Her son has a Chromebook. Daughter has a Windows work laptop.

I am doing this all remotely. But have little experience with a Chromebook.

Not sure if the Chromebook can drive it directly with USB cable. Maybe network cable.

She has not had success getting it setup for wireless. I believe you need to use your browser to logon to the printer to setup it up all the way. I had to do that on my Xerox laser printer. I connected a network cable between my Xerox printer and laptop to do that.

The HP M15W is a Google Cloud printer, so you need to register it with Google Cloud Print (and be logged into your Google account on the Chromebook). Then you can print to it literally from anywhere there is Internet access.

One thing I was told years ago in the official HP forums (and this would work if chromebooks have a USB port, I don't know)--and that was to install the printer via a USB cable, even if you want to print from your laptop wirelessly. I have done that, and been generally successful in doing wireless printing (I had heaps of problems connecting to the printer, before that). So if that is an option, I'd recommend making that attempt.

Originally Posted by paulri
One thing I was told years ago in the official HP forums (and this would work if chromebooks have a USB port, I don't know)--and that was to install the printer via a USB cable, even if you want to print from your laptop wirelessly. I have done that, and been generally successful in doing wireless printing (I had heaps of problems connecting to the printer, before that). So if that is an option, I'd recommend making that attempt.

This has been my personal experience with HP too. You don't have to use a web browser to finish the wireless print setup on it.

Is the Chromebook school-owned? If so and if it has a firewall on it then they probably disabled port scanning and you won't be able to finish the wireless setup. I have this issue with my users who use wireless printers at home with their company laptops.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by paulri

This has been my personal experience with HP too. You don't have to use a web browser to finish the wireless print setup on it.

Is the Chromebook school-owned? If so and if it has a firewall on it then they probably disabled port scanning and you won't be able to finish the wireless setup. I have this issue with my users who use wireless printers at home with their company laptops.

The Chromebook is a personal one, not school owned.

The issue now is what is the easiest way to get the printer connected to the existing WIFI network. Assume that one needs to enter the SSID and password. How is that entered? From a Chromebook or Windows laptop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
The Chromebook is a personal one, not school owned.

The issue now is what is the easiest way to get the printer connected to the existing WIFI network. Assume that one needs to enter the SSID and password. How is that entered? From a Chromebook or Windows laptop.

I only have experience with the Windows installer that lets you put in the WiFi credentials if there's no WPS button on the router. HP's website states for android you may need to download the HP Print Service or AiO app from Google Play.

Last edited:
Back