Recommendations for Switch and Wireless router

If the piece of equipment you got from your ISP is a modem/router combo, but you have another router behind it you are doing double-NAT, which is a no-no. You only want one device doing NAT/PAT, so if there were security concerns with that unit it should be factory reset and setup from scratch with a strong password that it sounds best that the individual we are discussing doesn't know.

The "other" router/gateway can then be setup as an access point and placed upstairs to provide WiFi up there.
To do this:
- Login to the device
- Setup LAN subnet to be the same as the one on the main router/gateway, so if it is 192.168.2.0/24, then you'd set it to be in the same subnet and make its LAN IP something easy to remember for you in case you need to change the config, so, using the aforementioned subnet, I'd make it 192.168.2.254.
- Disable the DHCP server
- Setup and secure the WiFi (WPA2-AES, strong password)
- Plug the cable coming from the downstairs router/gateway into one of the LAN ports on this one

Voila! You have a cheap access point wth integrated switch.

If both devices have WiFi, if you set them up with the same SSID and passphrase clients can less than gracefully roam between them.
Spectrum provided Airris is only a modem. It can also work as the phone modem. Please define strong password. When the network switch and LAN cables arrive was just going to hook every thing up downstairs to confirm no issues. I was going to test it for a while before I move wireless modem and run new LAN cable upstairs. I read it is a good idea to update firmware on network switch. I occasionally update firmware on wireless modem but probably need to check it more often. The issue is I rarely use or read the technical language you use everyday. I read your post 3 times and will need more research to better understand what you wrote. As always, your input is appreciated!

If you are updating the firmware on it I'm skeptical that it is only a modem (the Arris). Can you give me the model #?

If you are updating the firmware on it I'm skeptical that it is only a modem (the Arris). Can you give me the model #?
I got the box out. Says Touchstone Telephony Modem. Instructions in box just shows how to connect the Arris modem to a Wifi router by yellow cable they provided. Has a place to connect telephone wires. One input for Spectrum cable to screw in. One yellow marked output to router.

I got the box out. Says Touchstone Telephony Modem. Instructions in box just shows how to connect the Arris modem to a Wifi router by yellow cable they provided. Has a place to connect telephone wires. One input for Spectrum cable to screw in. One yellow marked output to router.

OK, so you are or are not updating the firmware on this unit? Or was it the other box you were referencing? It's always a good idea to ensure your firmware is up-to-date on your WAN-facing device, which, in this case, sounds like it is your gateway/router.

Model TM1602A. I was not going to mess with that firmware. Just the TP-Link wireless router I have and switch I am getting.

A quick update. Amazon said delivery on 11th for switch and cables. Did not arrive, then received a "have not shipped" yet message. Ended up canceling that order and just picked up the same switch at Micro Center. Waiting for the Cat 6 cables from Ebay connected the TP-Link 8 port switch with a short cable. I did update firmware in my wireless router and could tell pages loaded faster on my dog Idea Pad. Now with everything connected with the Wifi router upstairs all seems well. Thanks again for everyone that contributed!

Back