Error: Service active hood system

Well, never heard of this code before. Pretty cool feature though, apparently since 2014 or so on Chrysler minivans:

Pedestrian protection automotive hood hinge assembly​

The hinge assembly lifts the rear of the hood to allow the hood to "catch" the pedestrian and absorb some of the impact.

"I have been getting the error "Service Active Hood System" in the EVIC intermittently. I connected an OBDII reader and got the DTC code B22A5-00 for the electronic pedestrian protection module (eppm)."

At this rate seems like they will put an airbag assembly on the front bumper to protect pedestrians. At the local university kids keep not looking up from their phones and get hit by cars. Usually by the mirrors though; thankfully most drivers try very hard to miss them. No fatalities but lots of injuries.

At this rate seems like they will put an airbag assembly on the front bumper to protect pedestrians. At the local university kids keep not looking up from their phones and get hit by cars. Usually by the mirrors though; thankfully most drivers try very hard to miss them. No fatalities but lots of injuries.

Because drivers are always attentive and never on their phones?

This is what it looks like on my Mercedes. It's also resettable. I don't see any connections that would set a code here though. Maybe at the front of the hood?

Hinge.jpg

I think it was either Mercedes, Audi or BMW who did this as well.

BMW also patented a pyrotechnic battery disconnect - in case the car experiences a severe impact enough to set off the airbags, a small squib detonates to electrically disconnect the battery from the car. Of course, the fire department or whoever responds first will still cut the cables.

Back