Epoxy or Loctite 262(red) For Worn Faucet Handle Splines?

The handle splines, which engage the cartridge splines, are worn about 50%. It is a 40 year old Aquabrass faucet and the handle is not available any more. I replaced the cartridge, so its splines are new.

I have the Loctite 262 and epoxy. Which one will work better? Loctite Quick Metal or Form-A-thread might work better but I don't want to get them if I do not have to.

Attachments

• 000_0304.JPG
    000_0304.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Malcolm_Aquabrass Handle.jpg
    Malcolm_Aquabrass Handle.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22
I could get generic handles for the 8mm-20 spline cartridge but this is an expensive quality faucet with very attractive handles. If I can get the existing handles to work, then that is the route I want to take. The quality shows in how nice this faucet, used daily for the last forty years, looks.

Attachments

• Malcolm Aquabrass Widespread.jpeg
    Malcolm Aquabrass Widespread.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 28
Would a few wraps of Aluminum foil around the male splines add enough to close the gap while still acting as a spline?

A cheapish mod would be a threaded hole in the handle side and a recessed Allen set screw.

Hmmmph, You learn something new every day. I was gonna recommend JB Weld . But I didn't know they had a clear. Thank you for the follow up :cool:

If you glue the handles on you may have to break the valve stems when you want to replace the valve seals. Maybe a thin layer of aluminum duct tape over the splines is sufficient to increase friction between the splines and the handles. Can you drill and tap the handles so you can install set screws that engage the stems?

Back