Epic ignition coil failure

No.

Because when the ECU (at least, on six of my cars) detects the misfire, it no longer pulses the injector for that cylinder.

The car will run poorly, but it won’t damage the cat, or engine, because there will not be any unburned fuel to wash down the cylinder walls or load up the cat.

I wouldn't count on that. When that CEL is blinking like a christmas tree, you'd best pull over and call a tow truck.

I wouldn't count on that. When that CEL is blinking like a christmas tree, you'd best pull over and call a tow truck.
I appreciate your concern, but I do understand how my cars work. I have had a coil failure on two of the Volvos and on the S600. When a misfire happens, it is exactly as I describe.

The car is taken to my shop, hooked up to VIDA or XENTRY, diagnosed, and fixed. Not the end of the world.

I even keep a spare coil (Bosch) for the Volvos, a $70 part. The coils on the S600 are unique (left/right) and fire 12 plugs each. They list for $1,450 so, I don’t keep spares on hand, but my local dealer can get them in two days, at a discount.

All the cars and miles I have put on them the only coils I have ever had fail are on my riding mowers.
Probably just jinxed myself.

I appreciate your concern, but I do understand how my cars work. I have had a coil failure on two of the Volvos and on the S600. When a misfire happens, it is exactly as I describe.

Yes, but not all cars work that way, that was my point. And if the fuel injector is actually shut off preventing a "misfire that could result in catalyst damage", the CEL should not be blinking.

All the cars and miles I have put on them the only coils I have ever had fail are on my riding mowers.
Probably just jinxed myself.
My 996 had them hanging out the back right in the road spray.

I had one fail, 4 were close behind with housing cracks, and the 6th was new-ish. 160k miles though.

#1 in my BMW failed, pretty normal since it's right in the heat. Was about 100k on that one. Just changed the one.

it was epic because the car started jerking back and fourth, for some reason the coil did turn on and then turn off. On the road i seriously thought the catalytic converter clogged from running hdeo 15w40 🤣

it was epic because the car started jerking back and fourth, for some reason the coil did turn on and then turn off. On the road i seriously thought the catalytic converter clogged from running hdeo 15w40 🤣

Was there a Check Engine Light before this happened?

At least it didn't start jerking back and fifth. That would have been worse.

Yes, but not all cars work that way, that was my point. And if the fuel injector is actually shut off preventing a "misfire that could result in catalyst damage", the CEL should not be blinking.
that was my understanding, if CEL blinks shut the car off. My wifes BMW had a faulty coil. No CEL flashing so I drove it home about 15 miles without issue

I don’t own an MDS a car, but I had thought the valves stay closed, so that the cylinder is sealed to minimize pumping losses. More of a spring (compression and extension) than a pump moving air through.
That could very well be true. I have a 5.7 HEMI with MDS, but I have no idea how it works. As much as I have tried, I can't feel it cutting in or out. I couldn't even tell you if it's working or not, because there is absolutely no jerking or anything to give a sense of it operating. The 5.7 HEMI also has VVT, (Variable Valve Timing).
It deactivates the lifters for cylinders 1-4-6-7 and traps the last cycles exhaust within the cylinder to act as an air spring essentially. It also briefly unlocks the torque converter then relocks any time it goes into or out of MDS to absorb the change in torque (manual transmission equipped models don’t get MDS for this reason).

Edit - just saw these were older posts…. I’m sorry!

So today at around 4:30pm, I was going to get mad kombucha from the grocery store.

The beginning of the trip nothing was wrong, but about 1/4th the way to the store, the abruptly jerked. I was thinking I had hit something, so I was like oh well.

Half way towards the trip, the jetta started jerking like crazy on and off, I thought I was at a rock concert or something. Flashing CEL comes on, oh great what could this be?

I pull into the parking lot and next thing you know the engine sounds like it has a dead cylinder or two.

I turned the car off, on ignition, and put my cheap creader scanner in.

Misfires on cylinder 2 and 3.

Towed the car home, and found the ignition coil to be at fault. Ordered a new ignition coil and 4 bosch spark plugs from ecs tuning.
VW coils are the least reliable oem.
This is anything but epic.

I replaced the coil on my 1991 F-150 right before we moved here. I had changed out the plugs, wires, rotor and cap. So I figured why not change out the coil? It was the original, and has been broiling under the hood since I drove it home from the dealer. Besides, it was easy to get at, and the wire set came with a new coil wire.

I bought a new Accel High Performance Coil for just $58.00. So rather than wait for it to fail, I just swapped it out with everything else. Now everything for the ignition is new, from the distributor post to the threads in the cylinder heads. For a little over $50 bucks the peace of mind is well worth it.
You will be lucky to get 1/3 the life out of that Accel crap that you did with the OEM part.

Back