Ford Modular coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Friday night my wife drove through a lake of a puddle and the Expedition started running like a bag of poo. I figured she nuked one of the coils or got water down one of the plug wells. I've had that happen before.

Hauled out the scanner (Auto Enginuity) and it showed a code for #6 cylinder. I dug into it, and there was water all around that plug hole so I blew it out with air, took the boot off the coil, dried the works....etc. Greased it and put it back in. Cleared all the codes.

Got a pending code for #2 (and the truck was still running horribly) which I did the same procedure on. After another subsequent start, the CEL came back. Didn't know which cylinder it was at that point as the laptop battery died and it was late at night. I said screw it and figured I'd pick up a coil to start with.

Saturday came and the Ford dealer website said the parts department was open. It wasn't. So no progress all weekend.

Wife went to Ford this AM and grabbed a coil. I was unpleasantly surprised that the price on them had almost doubled since the last time I bought one. So she came home with that, and a tube of Motorcraft dielectric grease.

I went home for lunch, fired up the laptop, plugged in the scanner and there was a hard code for #6 cylinder again. #2 was again pending.

I swapped out #6 coil, fired it up and it ran fine, no missing. Now, when we were on our trip down east, when it was insanely cold, on some of the hills when it was holding a gear and not downshifting it would buck, which was a misfire of course. So I figure #2 coil is weak, but isn't misfiring enough to set a hard code, but is missing enough that it has caused a pending.

She's going to go pick up another coil (for #2) this aft and I'll probably change it when I get home from work.

This means 5 of 8 coils have now been replaced on that engine once I swap out #2.

Those unfamiliar with Ford's cylinder numbering:

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
FRONT

#4 - It got shot out when the plug popped but had been replaced for catching the dead before that.
#8 - Replaced due to misfire
#7 - Replaced due to misfire
#6 - Replaced due to misfire
#2 - Replaced due to misfire

I'm surprised #3 hasn't died, as 4, 3 and 2 have the rear coolant lines running right over top of them so they get HOT.

I'm contemplating just replacing the remaining 3x OEM coils as preventative at this point. The odds seem to be in favour of them dying at an inopportune moment in the middle of a trip or something and that's a problem I'd rather avoid. Seems a sound investment given the truck otherwise runs like a Swiss watch.

Yours actually throws a code when there is a misfire from a dead coil / missing spark plug?

I have blown / drove a few Fords with a bad coil or two and they NEVER set codes!

I cannot explain why these give some folks fits and others never have the issue.

Every truck in our lot has a coil on the valve cover with a stub wire to the plug, and they swim through Florida rainy season a LOT, I've easily had water up to the hood before.

But it is true that the wet weather can bring out the worst in any vehicle with some miles on it...

Hello, The OP's Expedition must have the 5.4L or another V-8 with separate coils.

My friend's 4.6L (in a 1997 F-150) has a "quad-coil" at the front of each valve cover. No probs yet. How hearty are those combo coils? I don't know the generic name for them. Kira

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I cannot explain why these give some folks fits and others never have the issue.

Every truck in our lot has a coil on the valve cover with a stub wire to the plug, and they swim through Florida rainy season a LOT, I've easily had water up to the hood before.

But it is true that the wet weather can bring out the worst in any vehicle with some miles on it...

My father's 01 F350 stumped the dealer a few times. Not only did it not throw a code for misfire, it didn't even have any data logged for it. As far as the computer was concerned, everything was working 100% Blowing coils seems to be a Ford problem.

The dealer had to find the bad coil by checking temperature.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, The OP's Expedition must have the 5.4L or another V-8 with separate coils.

My friend's 4.6L (in a 1997 F-150) has a "quad-coil" at the front of each valve cover. No probs yet. How hearty are those combo coils? I don't know the generic name for them. Kira

Coil packs. Ford didn't seem to have problem with the coil packs.

how much was the dealer? motorcraft at rock auto were 42$ and aftermarket 15$

kira: i beleve they are called coil packs.

We currently have 4 mods in service with us, and I have came to the conclusion that the coils plan elaborate schemes to go out at the most inopportune times. My truck has 140k on it with 2 of the original coils still working fine, I just keep a spare in my toolbox.

I have noticed one of the biggest things that does kill is moisture from bad/leaky boots. I wouldn't replace the coils that are working fine just for the age, but I would definitely grab some new boots and replace those. On a V10 we have been replacing boots ever 50k, currently have 220k on the 5 coils that are original doing this.

Sound like a HG - She ate water.
Coils should be pretty much H20 PROOF - UNLESS IT WAS SALTY. Oh its a FORD. Are the Coils stick coils DENSO sourced or some FoMoCo OE?

My Fit is known to eat coils - the Honda dummies stuck 'em right between the EX ports and the car has a HOT head cast in Al runners with NO exhaust manifold whatsoever other than a turnout to the cat.

Last edited:
I have several 5.4 2v and 3v in our fleet..all coil on plug...been through this several times trying to find/fix the one culprit..I would replace them all with all the plugs...saves lotsa headache...

Originally Posted By: Rand
how much was the dealer? motorcraft at rock auto were 42$ and aftermarket 15$

kira: i beleve they are called coil packs.

$80.00. I used to get them for $45.00.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Sound like a HG - She ate water.
Coils should be pretty much H20 PROOF - UNLESS IT WAS SALTY. Oh its a FORD. Are the Coils stick coils DENSO sourced or some FoMoCo OE?

My Fit is known to eat coils - the Honda dummies stuck 'em right between the EX ports and the car has a HOT head cast in Al runners with NO exhaust manifold whatsoever other than a turnout to the cat.

The headgaskets are fine. It has been through deep water many a time, it grabs air from inside one of the inner fenders, completely separate from under the hood, wheel well.....etc.

No idea on the OEM for the coils, they just have a Ford part # on them, no other brand.

Originally Posted By: DSparks
I have several 5.4 2v and 3v in our fleet..all coil on plug...been through this several times trying to find/fix the one culprit..I would replace them all with all the plugs...saves lotsa headache...

Finding them hasn't been much of an issue, but they aren't fun to replace (especially the rear ones as I'm sure you are acutely aware).

Truck is only on its 2nd set of plus, it isn't due for another set for another 50,000Km IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Id buy aftetmarket coils since the oe ones are known to fail.

The aftermarket ones apparently fail even more frequently, LOL!
grin.gif

The DG-508 coils have had a few different vendors over the years. For a while Visteon was the vendor, however I haven't had to return a failed unit to vendor in a few years to know who the current one is. The aftermarket ones are just as susceptible to failure as the factory ones.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

grin.gif

I changed all 8 after one let go. I used Standard Red Box Made in the USA, they are still going strong after 5 years.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

grin.gif

I changed all 8 after one let go. I used Standard Red Box Made in the USA, they are still going strong after 5 years.

Good to know Trav! I had heard many a horror story about aftermarket ones dying early on the Ford truck forums.
smile.gif

Is the COP on the 5.4 the same as the COP on my Duratechs? Both engines have been trouble free.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Is the COP on the 5.4 the same as the COP on my Duratechs? Both engines have been trouble free.

Probably similar. The layout however is different. These are setup like the old 427 SOHC with the plugs being down deep wells on the intake side of the head. This means that they are "sealing" against the boss on the head (flat surface) with no cover or anything on them, and the water can't readily run off, since they aren't on an angle and there's flat space there for water to sit on.

I would think that perhaps the DOHC modulars have fewer coil failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back