EPA to seek ban on lead tire weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness though... I think it is a good thing... I mean we can make the weights out of other things like Aluminum or steel, Pewter.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Why is this a bad thing? Lead is known to cause developmental issues in children and can cause major problems in adults, too.

If it was an inert metal then lost wheel weights would not be an issue but it can and does get into the drinking supply and contaminate it.

There are already enough idiots around here WITHOUT the benefit of lead. Just think what it would be like if lead were allowed to run amok.

Originally Posted By: froggy81500
I'm just suprised that it took so long for them to finally think about lead wheel weights. I mean lead paint was banned in what, the 1970's?

Lead paint was largely phased out in the 30's due to obsolesence. The latex paint popular after WWII never had more than a trace of lead in it. The regulations of the 70's reduced the limits for household paint from 0.5% to 0.06%. There were studies at that time showing that paint with up to 2% lead had no effect on blood lead levels when ingested. Increased costs with zilch in benefits.

I don't see non lead wheel weights being a big expense to produce little or no benefits.

I cast handgun bullets by the 10's of thousands every year and shoot the same. Many people think breathing fumes from casting bullets is haz. but one does not get to a temp. high enough for vaporising lead at casting temps. Handling lead in a solid form is not haz. as long as one uses common hygine and washes their hands. The shooting club I belong to has had a rifle and pistol range since the 1930's, we now are required to have our water tested on a monthly basis. So far have yet to have any lead readings to even be concerned about. As far as myself my blood is checked every 6 months for other reasons but they do the lead test anyway. My readings are always in the low single digits. Thats way below having to worry about.

This scare tactics regarding lead is unfounded. Granted lead is a harmful substance especially for young children, but all in all one stands a much greater chance of death and injury from many other sources.

We continue to allow drunk driving, cell phone use while driving, private swimming pools in peoples back yards and we're worried about Wheel Weights. Are we all idiots being lead by idiots?

And the next thing to be attacked by these idiots will be lead bullets.
mad.gif

Another way to destroy our bill of rights.

The sheeple will not care. They want what is "best" for the world...
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I cast handgun bullets by the 10's of thousands every year and shoot the same. Many people think breathing fumes from casting bullets is haz. but one does not get to a temp. high enough for vaporizing lead at casting temps. Handling lead in a solid form is not haz. as long as one uses common hygiene and washes their hands. The shooting club I belong to has had a rifle and pistol range since the 1930's, we now are required to have our water tested on a monthly basis. So far have yet to have any lead readings to even be concerned about. As far as myself my blood is checked every 6 months for other reasons but they do the lead test anyway. My readings are always in the low single digits. That is way below having to worry about.

This scare tactics regarding lead is unfounded. Granted lead is a harmful substance especially for young children, but all in all one stands a much greater chance of death and injury from many other sources.

We continue to allow drunk driving, cell phone use while driving, private swimming pools in peoples back yards and we're worried about Wheel Weights.

Are we all idiots being lead by idiots?

Thank you!
11.gif

But too much common sense for most sheeple.

Facts confuse most.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Some manufactures are already making fishing weights out of iron. I don't see any issues with getting rid of lead wheel weights.

Me neither. It's a great idea.

Originally Posted By: labman
I wonder if the science behind this is any better than the absurd 1978 legislation on lead in paint. That greatly increased costs, reduced the value of older homes, while adding nothing to the safety of children.

The science behind lead paint, is same as lead in gasoline. Lead is an insidious toxin, and lead fumes/paint dust are as good a source of lead as any other.

Lead paint will slowly shead micro-particles of lead oxide as the paint film breaks down/errodes.

Lead weights in the enviroment will slowly leach lead whenever exposed to water with solublizing anions. Soil is full of such things.

Originally Posted By: froggy81500
I'm just suprised that it took so long for them to finally think about lead wheel weights. I mean lead paint was banned in what, the 1970's?

Lead paint was largely phased out in the 30's due to obsolesence.

Are you nuts? Lead oxide is/was a wonderful base pigment for making white paint. Much cheaper than TiO2. Ditto for other lead pigments. In addition, the lead improved "drying" qualities of the base oil/alkyd stock.

Quote:
The latex paint popular after WWII never had more than a trace of lead in it.

Uhhh no. And what's important is the amount of lead in the paint film left behind.

Quote:
I don't see non lead wheel weights being a big expense to produce little or no benefits.

No harder to produce that little steel pellets.

I cast handgun bullets by the 10's of thousands every year and shoot the same. Many people think breathing fumes from casting bullets is haz. but one does not get to a temp. high enough for vaporising lead at casting temps.

If its hot enough to melt the lead, its hot enough to produce lead fumes.

Quote:
Handling lead in a solid form is not haz. as long as one uses common hygine and washes their hands.

Little bits of lead are constantly being abraded of any solid piece of lead.

Quote:
My readings are always in the low single digits. Thats way below having to worry about.

Not really. :)

Canfield RL, Henderson CR, Cory-Slechta DA, Cos C, Jusko TA, Lanphear BP. Intellectual impairment in children with blood lead concentrations below 10 microg per deciliter. N Engl J Med 2003;348:1517--26.

Quote:

So, exposure to lead pollution is involuntary and has huge but subtle social costs.

Last edited:
That's why i now hand fabricate all off my wheel weights out of depleted uranium.

I go out and my driveway and use a grinder. Takes about 4 lbs of depleted uranium and 3 or 4 man hours to make just a single 1.5 oz. weight.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Why is this a bad thing? Lead is known to cause developmental issues in children and can cause major problems in adults, too.

crackmeup2.gif
Agencies keep taking away what causes developmental problems and we see MORE developmental problems than BEFORE!

Quote:
My readings are always in the low single digits. Thats way below having to worry about.

Not really. :)

Canfield RL, Henderson CR, Cory-Slechta DA, Cos C, Jusko TA, Lanphear BP. Intellectual impairment in children with blood lead concentrations below 10 microg per deciliter. N Engl J Med 2003;34

Hey guy READ MY POST. I said MY meaning my levels no one elses, is that so hard to understand.

I cast handgun bullets by the 10's of thousands every year and shoot the same. Many people think breathing fumes from casting bullets is haz. but one does not get to a temp. high enough for vaporising lead at casting temps.

If its hot enough to melt the lead, its hot enough to produce lead fumes

You need to do a little study, molton lead is not like a pan of water evaporating. Fumes of any consequense are only released when temps approach over 1,000 to 1,500 degrees. Casting is done at around 800 degrees, any hotter than that and it takes to long for the bullet to harden in the mold, slowing the process way down.

Little bits of lead are constantly being abraded of any solid piece of lead.

Quote:
My readings are always in the low single digits

Correct, and they claim our money is tainted with cocaine, but have never heard of anyone being affected by it.

With the amound of lead I smelt and number of bullets I produce, atoms of lead going thru my skin is the least of my worries.

BTW, been doing this since the later '50's. No problem yet!!!

Nobody denies lead is a problem. However it is just plain stupid spending fortunes to remove lead that isn't a cause of the problem. Those resources could better go to identifying the real problem and correcting it.

My grandson was found to have excess lead. while they identified several sources of lead in the house, most likely the problem was the necklace my daughter bought specifically designed to give the baby something to play with while nursing.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
In all seriousness though... I think it is a good thing... I mean we can make the weights out of other things like Aluminum or steel, Pewter.

LOL, could also make "anti weights" out of helium or hydrogen while we are there.

My grandson was found to have excess lead.

Just curious as to the symptoms your young grandson exhibited that led them to suspect lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back