Enhancing SF oil to SG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found some old bottles of Motomaster 10W30 and 10W40 in the garage. I'd like to get them used up, but they're SF grade and my baby needs at least SG. Is there something I can add to make them passable? I've looked around the Web for any company selling a magic mixture that'll do the trick but I don't see any.

I'm speculating that I can just mix it (50/50?) with some SL or SM grade oil and that should be good enough. But I can't find specific data on what the difference is between the API grades so I've been reluctant to try it. I don't mind if it's not really an optimal mixture, just don't want to throw out useable oil if I don't have to. But I don't want to end up with engine damage either. Hoping someone can help me out. If it makes a difference, I'm driving a... uh... ok it's a '94 Geo Metro. But come on, it's got a racing stripe on the side! Vroom vroom!
grin.gif

Go ahead and toss that old oil in the Geo. Those Suzuki engines are rugged little buggers. Just change out the oil at 3000 miles and you'll be fine. I had a 93 Geo Metro and I loved that car, but one day I got mad at the poor thing and decided to sell it. That was a big mistake on my part. I could have fixed that thing for a few hundred bucks. Is yours the 3 or 4 banger? Stick or auto? Make sure to check out www.teamswift.net if you haven't already.

Thanks for the website, I'll check it out. Didn't realize there were such dedicated Metroheads!

I've got the mighty 3 cyinder engine, stick of course. Actually when I was car shopping I had my heart set on a Geo convertible, just the neatest thing. But my dad suggested they might leak in the rain, and it rains a lot out here, so I reluctantly gave up on it. But I'm happy with this one, very low maintenance.

It's starting to use more oil than before though. It took a couple months to use up a liter of oil when I first got it, now it only takes a month or so. It's got a fair bit of mileage (170,000 km). Would HM oil be helpful? I noticed Valvoline Maxlife is on sale cheap, had my eye on it yesterday. What about Maxlife filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back