Enginemasters new episode 4/30 oil filter showdown!

Just started watching. Available on the MT on demand app. Looks like they tear through fram, wix, and MC.

FCD5A839-1913-4D0C-8B50-90142D006809.jpg

Video shows oil flow varying from 7.2 to 8.1 gallons a minute.... So much for those positive displacement pumps.

Cardboard end caps? Really? Try again... fiber end caps. And just fine when the media doesn't need 'support' from the end caps. We're using cardboard, aka, fiber/cellulose media. So, lets slam the 'end caps' on Fram.

Video shows oil pressure varying from 74.9-79 psi in engine... Poking the PD pump theory junkies some more! Imagine if engine or pump or both were a little tired. And, we wonder why some have quieter/louder engines, or flickered oil light or not, depending on filter....

Micron rating is meaningless marketing from filter brand. Foolish conclusion on what filter to use based on it. Should've tossed a few grams of filter test dust and repeat, along with particle counts to see what the real filtration level is.

I really did hope and wish that more filters would be tested.

And, keeping a constant, like the block bypass valve working, would give more meaningful results if the filter PN chosen was one without a bypass. It was disabled for the remotely mounted PH8As.

So, A+ for effort. D for video usable info!

I really expected more from these guys and this episode. It could've been another shadetree backyard Youtube video. The "data" they collected shows nothing meaningful. No consideration for how micron ratings are advertised. Refers to the Fram end caps as "cardboard". 🤦‍♂️

I'm actually surprised they didn't use an Amsoil filter considering they are sponsored by them... or maybe they did, didn't give the results they hoped for, and they intentionally left it out of the final cut. Who knows. They really let me down in this episode in both how they conducted it and their knowledge of filters.

Last edited:
Sad is that forums all over the web will be quoting that video since they don't know any better. Its no better than useless opinions from all the cut-open videos/website that many like to link to. These so-called "experts" will be quoted often.

I was hoping for controlled temp hot engine oil 'idle pressure/flow' too, since my engine rarely spends anytime at redline, and much time in traffic.

Why isn't K&N a gimmick?

Answer these questions:
Gram holding capacity? Unknown
Single and multi pass micron efficiency? Unknown
Full synthetic media? Nope!

Some of want more than marketing.

Not many of those things matter on a street/race car because of short OCI's. I would be worrying more about media tears and hostile rogue ADBV's. All the K&N filters are well made even the overseas manufactured ones and are well priced as well.

All my Fram, Wix, Champ, Purolator filters were well made too. And, never had media tears in the last 30 years of cutting open all my prefilled filters. Don't have an hostile rogue ADBV's since I only use filters that use silicone ADBVs. Non-KN filters must be really scary where you are... I only worry about monsters in the closet, dreams involving Freddy Krueger, and boogiemen under the bed.

Doesn't matter on a street or race car? Then why use a filter at all. Of course it matters whether you want to believe it or not. And, not everyone is doing short OCIs. I'd also wager that most of their filters are sold to consumers and not used on race cars.

So, you are saying if you use them as directed they are good filters. I think Fram has had some issues with silicone ADBV's recently and every time I use a Purolator they fail or cut. Check my C&P. Best filter are the royal purple if you want to get right down to it but you really only need them on long OCI's. The most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail.

So, you are saying if you use them as directed they are good filters. I think Fram has had some issues with silicone ADBV's recently and every time I use a Purolator they fail or cut. Check my C&P. Best filter are the royal purple if you want to get right down to it but you really only need them on long OCI's. The most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail.
Can you elaborate on the fram adbv issues? I've only seen one isolated case.

I was hoping for controlled temp hot engine oil 'idle pressure/flow' too, since my engine rarely spends anytime at redline, and much time in traffic.
If a filter goes into bypass, or an oil pump goes into pressure relief at idle or low RPM with hot oil, them something is very wrong. I've used 5 different filter brands and never saw any oil pressure difference from idle to near redline with the same brand & weight hot oil.

Last edited:
Don't care about bypass or pressure relief at IDLE.
Like I said, I would love to see the same filter flow/psi comparison provided at idle obviously with hot engine oil...

You just can't admit being wrong. PD addict. As I said before, not as PD as you want it to be. Not a perfect world. Positive displacement pumps, pump reliefs, media flow, media bypass do not work in perfection. Accept it! Video proves that filter flow affects pump flow. Filter flow affects after filter pump PSI. No one has proved otherwise yet. Really sad is those that want to use filters multiple times, and aren't measuring after filter flow or PSI. Little hint.... when the media starts loading up, guess what happens to after filter flow and pressure... guess... figure it out and I promise you it isn't a good thing.

Can anyone else here think open minded enough to understand what I am saying. If you can see almost a 5 psi and almost a gallon of oil flow lost per minute when comparing freeflowing or no filter to a restrictive(working) filter, what would happen at idle? The same thing! But, it probably won't be as drastic. And, it could definitely be the difference between a flickering low pressure idiot light on the dash on no idiot light flashing. Even an automaker agrees.... use a freeflow filter if you have a problem with the pressure or related CEL. Thats rocket science for those without uncommon sense. Another option, a few more oil visc cst to make up for it helps too, but offends the MPG crowd.

Back