EngineFlush.Reasons not to use the full bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use the full amount and use it in a HOT engine. Drive for at least 20 min then add the flush and idle it. I like to slightly rev the engine to get more splash going into the valvetrain.

Amsoil flush
LiquiMoly flush
BG109

I've used the silver Gunk brand flush too, it got some chunks out on drain.

A qt of kerosene added to the oil with a 15-20 min idle seems to do some cleaning also

Kreen best, BG109 good. Other ideas, not so great.

If you do Kreen, follow their directions.

If you do BG109, add full can and run the last 100 miles out on your oil change. Change oil and filter.

Put in 1/2 can in with new oil and drive with new combo for normal oil change interval. Add 1/2 can last 100 mile before change.

Do it again. You'll get it as tick free as you can
smile.gif

I'd not do anything. Seems to be an old favorite religious past time for many BITOG'ers.

But what is achieved? In most cases nothing. Just a warm fuzzy feeling like you cleaned the engine magically and it is now somehow operating better. How is a slightly fuel diluted sump going to clean all these nasty sludged areas?

I'd just run some cheap oil in your desired viscosity for shorter OCI and leave it as that. It won't clean much but also won't harm much either.

And I'll give my monthly statement on the matter which is; Give us some before and after pictures of at least the valve train area so we can prove these engine flushes do more than flush the change from our wallets.

I used Kreen also. Still have my free can of kroil. IMO the Kroil was awesome, the Kreen was no better, no worse than the rest that I could see obviously. I could see obvious results using M1 HM.

Originally Posted By: PalmSpringsSCal
Ya know I havent, Ill look into it.
Ive heard of putting a quart of diesel in the oil,you or anyone else done that?

I have done this in the past, when (British) cars were mostly running treacly 20w/50 dino oil and not getting it changed often enough. Btw I used a pint of diesel fuel in engines with an oil an capacity typically around 3-4 quarts.
I would pout the diesel into the filler and let the engine run at fast idle for 10 minutes or so.
Of course what came out was black and stinking, but subsequent checks showed the oil was staying clear for much longer. I didn't carry out any rigorous controlled conditions testing, but it appeared to help with high mileage engines with a poor maintenance history. Never had an engine fail soon after this treatment either. This was when 100k miles was a reasonable expectation of useful service for most engines.

I wouldn't recommend it for modern catalyst equipped cars, but it's fair to say both engines and lubricants have improved vastly since those days.

Claud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Claud
PalmSpringsSCal said:
Ya know I havent, Ill look into it.
?

YOUR QUOTE
I would pout the diesel into the filler and let the engine run at fast idle for 10 minutes or so.

I think it works well enough without pouting it on. You must be a very experienced pouter,cause I tried it and it didnt help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back