engine oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 88 civic with 121k and most of the its life its been on penzoil..

Anyways someone told me penzoil is not very good..

I know this is going to be bias but what do do you think are the 3 best motor oil brand for a civic?

10w-40 is it thicker or thinner than 10w-40?

how do you edit on this forum?

anyways my car is burning some oil..maybe 1-2 quarts @ 3k miles..

what kind of oil do you recommmend???

please help

you may want to consider a 10w30 hm oil after an auto rx. some people like it but i have no experience with it.

nothing wrong with pennzoil. its hard to get a bad oil today.

I'm afraid I have the same question as you. My wife's Aerostar 3.0 consumes over 2 quarts in 3000 miles. No blue smoke. Runs great. Has good power (as good as a 3.0 can have I guess). But does have a ping under heavy load, which I guess may be the oil getting past the rings and lowering the octane (just a guess though).

i dont see blue smoke but i have grey smoke..tallpaul do you have grey smoke?

can someone link the auto rx stuff?

how can i stop engine oil burning?

Here ya go!
grin.gif

ck8788
Member # 9354

posted 20 January, 2006 07:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an 88 civic with 121k and most of the its life its been on penzoil..

Anyways someone told me penzoil is not very good..

I know this is going to be bias but what do do you think are the 3 best motor oil brand for a civic?

10w-40 is it thicker or thinner than 10w-40?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 11 | From: cali | Registered: Oct 2005 | IP: Logged |
Tell that somebody this
lol.gif
pennzoil is one of the best dino's you can buy. I would also follow the recommendation of an Auto-RX. Try the 10W-30. As far as best brand for your car your not going to find the "BEST". It all to personal preferance.

ck8788 auto rx will help if your recondition your valve seals and clean your ring pack. So if this is what is causeing the problem it will help but if your motor needs mechianical repair there is nothing auto-rx can do about that but it will slowly clean 18+ years of crud in your engine.

A-Rx worked on my 140,000mi '93 D15B7. Mileage went up as well as power. Gray smoke usually means it is running rich. Blue smoke means burning oil. How have you treated the motor? Have you done any mods? If something is mechanically damaged, A-Rx WILL NOT fix it.

i dont think there is anything dmged..the car is stock

running rich? my car gets 290 miles in the city on a full tank and prob 350 on the highway

can you explain more about the running rich factor?

my car does burn oil but at the same time it smokes grey not blue smoke..

The Aerostar does not smoke at all.

I always thought it was black smoke for too rich, blue smoke for oil, and white smoke was a cold engine in winter or an ATF leak into the vacuum system (only if you have a vacuum shift modulator). I have no idea what grey would be unless a combo of white and blue.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back