Engine Flush with 8 quarts of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to flush my V8 engine with the cheapy gunk motor flush. The capacity of the engine holds about 8 qts of oil. But the gunk motor flush said it's safe to flush any 4 banger. So, I assume that I'm decreasing the efficiency of the gunk by half because my engine hold about double the oil capacity.

if I gradually add the gunk motor flush, like, half a bottle and idle it for 5 minutes, then another half bottle for another 5 minutes. Is it a good idea? Or I should just do half a bottle for 5 minutes and call it a day?

no - autorx, mmo etc. Just gunk motor flush.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Just do full bottle for 10 minutes with medium high RPM at around 2000-2500.
+1 but make sure your engine is at full operating temperature first, for best results...

If you are dead set on using the Gunk brand flush, (there are alot of other brands I would prefer to the guck product), I would follow the directions as stated on the bottle.

Well, it said just let it idle and full bottle.
but you'll always have this kinda thoughts tinkling in your mind saying - let's try something out... instead of following the instructions

DONT DO IT. Why would you put that [censored] in your engine? I did it once, followed directions, and the next morning POOF, I had blue smoke on all startups from then on. Why are you doing this?

I did it to an old caddy, that never smoked, but after the gunk flush, it always smoked blue.

I used Gunk engine flush (the 1 quart gray bottle) on my old 93 Corolla wagon. Instructions said to leave it in for 10 minutes at idle, I left it in for 15. I think the engine rattled a bit when I drove the car up on to the ramps, shoulda put the car up on the ramps first I guess. I let the oil drain for about half an hour then put the new filter on and filled up with new oil and all was well. Never had any problems with smoking as long as I had it. About 10 years ago when my mom had her decrepit old 89 Dynasty with the 3 liter, I changed the oil and used an engine flush. The engine seemed to smoke a fair bit worse after that oil change.

If you go the gunk route, follow the directions. Add it after the engine is warned up. I would then do a short OCI after the gunk treatment, and get any residual gunk out of the engine, and any additional [censored] that might have been freed up after the gunk treatment. JMO

AD

Running a short OCI after the gunk flush would pay for a cleaning and rinse with ARX. Slow, methodical cleaning with ARX over the full recommended OCI with dino results in no additional oil cost. The rinse is also for the recommended OCI on dino. So I guess I don't get it. Spend a few bucks on a quicky flush, followed by a short OCI, because there is likely to be some motor stopping deposits that might break free?

Not to point fingers at anyone in particular......

But everyone seems to want to do a quick flush for instant gratification. A lot less chance of problems with RX......

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Running a short OCI after the gunk flush would pay for a cleaning and rinse with ARX. Slow, methodical cleaning with ARX over the full recommended OCI with dino results in no additional oil cost. The rinse is also for the recommended OCI on dino. So I guess I don't get it. Spend a few bucks on a quicky flush, followed by a short OCI, because there is likely to be some motor stopping deposits that might break free?

The OP stated no MMO and no A-rX. Besides if the engine is really sludged up he'd need two A-rX applications which would be $45-$50 plus the oil and 4-8 filters if he changes them midway as some do. It could take him over a year to accomplish this. Maybe he doesn't want to wait that long. Besides IIRC a short OCI after the gunk flush might not be needed, and a short OIC would be the same 3000 miles as the A-rX rinse phase is, so it would be a wash.

He asked about Gunk engine flush not A-rX. Sorry but it seems all these threads end up with an attack of the product the OP wants to use unless it is A-rX.

BTW I am not a fan of quick flushes but they have worked for many people. Amsoil makes a good one.

AD

Last edited:
Guys, take it easy...

I'd the flush and let it idle for 10 minutes. The filter had small amount of black gunk, no real world gain on my V8, but i can see the gunk trapped in my filter. So it's all good. No smoke so far and no drama.

I'm running about 8 quarts of oil so need no short OCI to clean out the rest of the chemicals. It shouldn't hurt much. But my engine is still relatively low mileage 72K miles. So, it's all good.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Not to point fingers at anyone in particular......

But everyone seems to want to do a quick flush for instant gratification. A lot less chance of problems with RX......

nuthin beats a quicky from time to time hehe

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I've never seen a problem with a flush.

I've heard odd squeaking noises upon initial startup after flush... But more importantly, I've never really seen anything get cleaned from a flush, either.

Glad I have a couple of nice new cars to KEEP clean and a used one that I have to spend all my time trying to undo someone else's neglect...

Originally Posted By: c3po
I cannot see how a 15 minute Gunk Flush is really going to do anything.

The only thing it really does is to thin the oil so the old oil drains more completely. No big deal, no big benefit, no big problem (usually). I would NEVER use a solvent type flush in an engine that I knew was sludged. No way do I want the sludge loosened and sucked into the oil pickup screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back