End of an Era. The last 747 will roll out this evening.

So, what was it like to fly?

I started training on the 747-400 in 1997. Let's start with a look at the airplane itself.

Configuration: Back then, we configured the jet with 320 economy, 80 business, and 18 first class (in the nose, upper deck was business class). In later years, as we added economy plus, business class shrank, and the final configuration was 12 first, 52 business, 310 economy plus/economy.

The upper deck stayed business class until the jet was retired from my airline in 2015.

The jet had four P&W 4056 engines. It was glass cockpit, designed to be flown by 2 pilots.

The cockpit had two jumpseats, a business class rest seat, and an adjoining crew rest facility which had two bunks, each big enough to allow me (6'1") to stretch out comfortably, and each equipped with a temperature control, reading light, and wake-up alarm.

Forward of the vertical tail, in the space above the aft galley and luggage bins, was a flight attendant crew rest area with 8 bunks. It was accessed by a stairwell in the aft galley.

Specifications:
Operating empty weight (varied with cabin configuration, but included oil, hydraulic fluid and all service items) 408,000 - 410,000.
Max zero fuel weight: 535,000
Max landing weight: 630,000
Max takeoff weight: 875,000
Fuel capacity: 388,715 lbs
Max altitude: 45,100
Max Mach Mmo: 0.92
Max Airspeed Vmo: 365 KIAS
Max flap extension: 280 KIAS
Wingspan: 213 feet
Length: 232 feet
Height at the tail: 63 feet
10 main deck doors, each with escape slide/raft
2 upper deck doors, each with escape slide (a very long slide, not a raft, and not recommended)

General:
  • Four 90KVA engine driven generators
  • Four AC busses. Four DC busses. Essential, ground handling and utility busses.
  • Four hydraulic systems, each with an engine driven pump and an air demand pump (there was also an electric pump on system 4, to allow brake accumulator pressurization on the ground).
  • One APU with 290KVA generators (which couldn't be started in flight, oddly, but with four engines, you shouldn't ever need to).
  • Fuel is contained in four main wing tanks, a center wing tank, and two wing reserve tanks. An additional tank is installed in the horizontal stabilizer and has a capacity of 22,440 pounds. Any engine can be supplied from any main tank or the center wing tank. The engines can suction‑feed from the main tanks only. A fuel jettison system allows automatic fuel jettisoning to a selectable FUEL TO REMAIN level.
  • Triple ring laser gyros, dual GPS, CPDLC/FANS capability, triple autopilots, 3 VHF, 2 HF, 2 SATCOM radios. Honeywell - 4B radar with predictive windshear was installed in 1998.
  • Conventional flight controls with four elevators, inboard and outboard ailerons, spoilers, slotted leading edge slats, slotted trailing edge flaps. Outboard ailerons are locked out with flaps up above 235 knots. The aileron lockout system prevents overcontrolling at high airspeeds and provides the required roll authority at low airspeeds.
  • Four main landing gear trucks with four wheels each. Two in the wing root, and just aft of those, two in the body.
  • Nose gear steering via rudder input (up to 7 degrees) and at low speed, tiller (up to 70 degrees) with a tiller for each pilot. At low speed (

Been on several. I never knew they were quite fast until the recent spate of "747 obits".
I was such an infrequent flyer, I couldn't fathom people actually caring about which plane they were on.
It was all about maintaining schedule and not losing baggage to me.

Then I changed. I felt like Benedict Arnold when I took an Airbus 300 to Germany.

Also, you can't think of the Canary Islands without remembering those two ill fated 747's. That was one all too human, horrific event.

Also, the length of the Wright brothers first flight can be doubled INSIDE the 747's fuselage .
I think the inside height of the Jumbo Jet (proper name, right?) was just 2 feet shy of doubling the altitude of that historic Kill Devil Hills flight.

Q: Have the retired 747's been converted to freight use? If not, why not?

Hey Auto Mechanic: How many license plates can be made from one scrapped 747?

Last edited:
The fuel system itself was incredible. 16 pumps. Automatic sequencing for CG and structural load considerations.

Here's what the flight manual said:

FUEL SYSTEM OPERATION GENERAL Fuel management is highly automated to reduce pilot workload.

Fuel system management cards (FSMCs) command fuel valves open or closed and fuel pumps ON or OFF according to fuel management logic. PREFLIGHT When the fuel pump switches are OFF before engine start, low pressure lights are illuminated on the main tank pump switches, and extinguished on the override, center tank, and stabilizer tank pump switches.

OPERATION WITH FUEL IN CENTER TANK Prior to start, all crossfeed valves are opened, and all main tank boost pumps and main tank 2 and 3 override/jettison pumps are turned ON. Center pumps are turned ON or remain OFF depending on fuel quantity (see Normals chapter for center tank pump management). If there is fuel in the stabilizer tank, the stabilizer transfer pumps remain OFF until established in cruise. Stabilizer transfer/jettison pumps ON during fueling can result in transfer of stabilizer fuel. Other operating fuel pumps have no effect on fueling operations.

The FSMCs close crossfeed valves 2 and 3 when the flaps reach a takeoff position on the ground. Pressure from both center tank override/jettison pumps inhibit 2 and 3 override/jettison pumps, so center tank fuel is used before wing tank fuel. However, one center tank pump alone does not inhibit 2 and 3 override/jettison pumps. The center tank override/jettison pumps provide fuel to engines 1 and 4, and main tank pumps 2 and 3 provide fuel to their respective engine.

The FSMCs open crossfeed valves 2 and 3 when the flaps are no longer in a takeoff position. The center tank override/jettison pumps now provide fuel to all four engines.

When center tank fuel quantity decreases to approximately 80,000 pounds, the FSMCs open the appropriate valves and activate the transfer/jettison pumps to transfer fuel from the stabilizer tank to the center tank.

During cruise, the EICAS message >FUEL PMP STB L (R) displays when tank quantities are greater than 1000 pounds. Pushing the fuel pump STAB L (R) switch(es) ON begins transfer of fuel from the HST to the CWT. When the FUEL PRES STB L (R) message displays, and tank quantity is 2000 pounds or less, the STAB L (R) pumps are switched off. Under some conditions, fuel may be left in the stabilizer tank. If after approximately 5 minutes fuel is still indicated in the stabilizer tank, the stabilizer pumps can be turned ON to transfer the remaining fuel. Both pumps are turned off when the first FUEL PRES STB message displays.

The EICAS advisory message FUEL LOW CTR L or R is displayed when a predetermined amount of fuel remains in the center tank (3000 or 7000 pounds depending on the fuel quantity prior to engine start. See Normals chapter for specific procedures). The center tank pump switches are pushed OFF when either FUEL LOW CTR message is displayed and center tank fuel quantity is less than 3000 or 7000 pounds.

While the center tank pumps have intermittent low pressure, some fuel feeds from tanks 1 and 4 (approximately 2000 pounds from each tank). APU fuel is supplied from main tank 2. When AC power is available, fuel is supplied by aft main pump 2; aft main pump 3 operates to prevent tank to tank transfer and provides fuel if main pump 2 aft fails. If AC power is not available, a dedicated DC pump in main tank 2 supplies fuel to the APU.

The FSMCs activate override/jettison pumps 2 and 3 when low pressure is detected from either center override/jettison pump. Override/jettison pump 2 provides fuel to engines 1 and 2, and override/jettison pump 3 provides fuel to engines 3 and 4. The FSMCs open the reserve transfer valves when main tank 2 or 3 fuel quantity decreases to approximately 40,200 pounds. Fuel transfers from reserve tanks 2 and 3 to their respective main tank.

The EICAS advisory message FUEL TANK/ENG is displayed when main tank 2 quantity is equal to or less than main tank 1 quantity, or when main tank 3 quantity is equal to or less than main tank 4 quantity. Crossfeed valve switches 1 and 4 and the override pump switches 2 and 3 are pushed OFF after confirming tank quantities.

Main tank pumps provide fuel to their respective engine until engine shutdown.

We went tank to engine at 120,000 lbs.

747-400 Fuel system diagram.jpg

I always said if I ever fly a plane I want it to be a 747. Nowadays my mindset is I’ll never get near a plane other than taking a picture or maybe sitting in one if given the opportunity. I would never go in the air in one. I’m too chicken lol. I know they say it’s safer but I’d rather risk it in a car. I especially would not want to go down in a plane in water I’d rather hit solid ground at least then I have a more likely chance to be found. Everyone thinks it’s crazy I’ve never been on a plane personally I have no desire too. My main thing is I hate heights. The only 747 I’ve seen at my airport are the military ones and they have to take off past the building next to the run way otherwise they will take the building with them lol. The other runway isn’t long enough to accommodate them.
If you find yourself in Jupiter, FL, you have a standing flying invitation.

I always said if I ever fly a plane I want it to be a 747. Nowadays my mindset is I’ll never get near a plane other than taking a picture or maybe sitting in one if given the opportunity. I would never go in the air in one. I’m too chicken lol. I know they say it’s safer but I’d rather risk it in a car. I especially would not want to go down in a plane in water I’d rather hit solid ground at least then I have a more likely chance to be found. Everyone thinks it’s crazy I’ve never been on a plane personally I have no desire too. My main thing is I hate heights. The only 747 I’ve seen at my airport are the military ones and they have to take off past the building next to the run way otherwise they will take the building with them lol. The other runway isn’t long enough to accommodate them.
AM,

We all love you here like a nephew.

Going to follow up on something Astro posted about informally. Maybe consider expanding your horizons a bit, get out of your comfort zone.

Right now, the Army is hurting for young adults to enlist. One can enlist for as little as two years. Two years is nothing. Go enlist, be a mechanic, be a drone operator, be whatever you want. You will fly different airframes, you will cry (at basic training and Advance Individual Training), and in two years, you will look back and have had a great time, will have made future lifelong friends, and be a whole lot more confident and capable.

Just Do It.

I thought Auto Pilot did the work..............
I know of a pilot who prides himself on getting the autopilot on within seconds of takeoff. It is rather funny to watch him do this, as it's gear up, flaps up, autopilot on. He then boldly states, "my job is done". Leaving the other guy to talk on the radio and make FMS/altitude and heading inputs.

Reactions: GON
So, what was it like to fly?

I started training on the 747-400 in 1997. Let's start with a look at the airplane itself.

Configuration: Back then, we configured the jet with 320 economy, 80 business, and 18 first class (in the nose, upper deck was business class). In later years, as we added economy plus, business class shrank, and the final configuration was 12 first, 52 business, 310 economy plus/economy.

The upper deck stayed business class until the jet was retired from my airline in 2015.

The jet had four P&W 4056 engines. It was glass cockpit, designed to be flown by 2 pilots.

The cockpit had two jumpseats, a business class rest seat, and an adjoining crew rest facility which had two bunks, each big enough to allow me (6'1") to stretch out comfortably, and each equipped with a temperature control, reading light, and wake-up alarm.

Forward of the vertical tail, in the space above the aft galley and luggage bins, was a flight attendant crew rest area with 8 bunks. It was accessed by a stairwell in the aft galley.

Specifications:
Operating empty weight (varied with cabin configuration, but included oil, hydraulic fluid and all service items) 408,000 - 410,000.
Max zero fuel weight: 535,000
Max landing weight: 630,000
Max takeoff weight: 875,000
Fuel capacity: 388,715 lbs
Max altitude: 45,100
Max Mach Mmo: 0.92
Max Airspeed Vmo: 365 KIAS
Max flap extension: 280 KIAS
Wingspan: 213 feet
Length: 232 feet
Height at the tail: 63 feet
10 main deck doors, each with escape slide/raft
2 upper deck doors, each with escape slide (a very long slide, not a raft, and not recommended)

General:
  • Four 90KVA engine driven generators
  • Four AC busses. Four DC busses. Essential, ground handling and utility busses.
  • Four hydraulic systems, each with an engine driven pump and an air demand pump (there was also an electric pump on system 4, to allow brake accumulator pressurization on the ground).
  • One APU with 290KVA generators (which couldn't be started in flight, oddly, but with four engines, you shouldn't ever need to).
  • Fuel is contained in four main wing tanks, a center wing tank, and two wing reserve tanks. An additional tank is installed in the horizontal stabilizer and has a capacity of 22,440 pounds. Any engine can be supplied from any main tank or the center wing tank. The engines can suction‑feed from the main tanks only. A fuel jettison system allows automatic fuel jettisoning to a selectable FUEL TO REMAIN level.
  • Triple ring laser gyros, dual GPS, CPDLC/FANS capability, triple autopilots, 3 VHF, 2 HF, 2 SATCOM radios. Honeywell - 4B radar with predictive windshear was installed in 1998.
  • Conventional flight controls with four elevators, inboard and outboard ailerons, spoilers, slotted leading edge slats, slotted trailing edge flaps. Outboard ailerons are locked out with flaps up above 235 knots. The aileron lockout system prevents overcontrolling at high airspeeds and provides the required roll authority at low airspeeds.
  • Four main landing gear trucks with four wheels each. Two in the wing root, and just aft of those, two in the body.
  • Nose gear steering via rudder input (up to 7 degrees) and at low speed, tiller (up to 70 degrees) with a tiller for each pilot. At low speed (
United had a lot of 747-400‘s.

Massive fleet of airplanes , very impressive.,
We once had 44 747-400s and 25 747-200s. Along with 50 777. Narita in the 90s often looked like a United hub, when we had twice as many jets at the gate as JAL.

Right now, we have over 200 wide bodies. 777 and 787.

I anticipate a big widebody order next week.

While the new jets will be great - I still miss the 747.

Last edited:
And there she goes. The last production 747 just took off from Paine Field in Everett WA for cargo duty at Apex.

Fast forward to around the 36 minute mark for the taxi and takeoff. Unfortunately someone’s head gets in the way at the exact moment.

Agreed. The A380 won’t be winning any beauty pageants ( on the outside …..great Cabin inside I am sure ).

Very curious how each plane differs in performance ( cruise Mach, climb performance , etc ).

As far as I am concerned, any pilot who was fortunate enough to fly the 747 , Concorde , was a very lucky pilot.

My airline sold It’s 747s sometime around 2005?

Edit: Air Canada last 747 flight was October, 2004. They bought their first 747 in 1971 when AC was a govt run airline.

A340 replaced the 747 at my airline ( under powered except the super powerful , fantastic A340-500 ).

Your post got me thinking about the "Gimli Glider", flight 143 out of Winnipeg in 1983. That was a 767, sort of an over grown 737.

I asked a retired Air Canada pilot that had worked there since the TCA days flying Vangards if he ever saw in his 35 years up there, anything like a UFO ?
" Well, we were headed east over Nevada on a flight from LA (X) to Winnipeg, we could see the lights of Vegas on our right and something
passed us like we were standing still. We both looked at each other and said; what the _____ was that?"
His wife backed up the story, because that's all he talked about for a week.
I didn't think that USAF aircraft were allowed to buzz commercial airliners. So what could it have been?

I was at CVG when it landed last night. On the first approach they did a go around, so I got to see it come in twice. On the second approach a flock of geese came in from the left... I was concentrating more on getting the video but as I was listening to them honking and watching them come in to view out of the corner of my eye the only thing I could think of was "well this could get really ugly". After reviewing the video it was clear that they were plenty low enough but as it was happening it give me some momentary heebie jeebies. Beautiful plane.

geese.jpg
747 atlas.jpg

Back