End of an Era. The last 747 will roll out this evening.

I always said if I ever fly a plane I want it to be a 747. Nowadays my mindset is I’ll never get near a plane other than taking a picture or maybe sitting in one if given the opportunity. I would never go in the air in one. I’m too chicken lol. I know they say it’s safer but I’d rather risk it in a car. I especially would not want to go down in a plane in water I’d rather hit solid ground at least then I have a more likely chance to be found. Everyone thinks it’s crazy I’ve never been on a plane personally I have no desire too. My main thing is I hate heights. The only 747 I’ve seen at my airport are the military ones and they have to take off past the building next to the run way otherwise they will take the building with them lol. The other runway isn’t long enough to accommodate them.

I always said if I ever fly a plane I want it to be a 747. Nowadays my mindset is I’ll never get near a plane other than taking a picture or maybe sitting in one if given the opportunity. I would never go in the air in one. I’m too chicken lol. I know they say it’s safer but I’d rather risk it in a car. I especially would not want to go down in a plane in water I’d rather hit solid ground at least then I have a more likely chance to be found. Everyone thinks it’s crazy I’ve never been on a plane personally I have no desire too. My main thing is I hate heights. The only 747 I’ve seen at my airport are the military ones and they have to take off past the building next to the run way otherwise they will take the building with them lol. The other runway isn’t long enough to accommodate them.
Well, many people ( not on BITOG of coarse ) would think I am crazy because I have never changed my own oil.

In discussion about this My boss laments it more than most. when not flying private he spent a ton of up front time in 787's

Unknown-2.jpeg

I last flew the 747 about twenty years ago. I flew and taught the airplane for about five years. I remember it very well.

I’ve got some spare time tomorrow to reminisce, and I’ll post up a few thoughts.

I’ll reiterate what I said previously - a great airplane to fly. A real pilot‘s airplane.

I flew on UAL's 747's a few times, mostly to/from China. My last flight on one was a bummer, I had dinner in the Air China lounge in PVG (Shanghai) before the flight and got some serious food poisoning. I was in the lav for probably 7-8 hours. What struck me as interesting, I was upper deck in business and stayed in the front lav next to the cockpit for hours, and no one even checked on me. One of the least interested FA crews I ever experieinced, and 99% of the UAL international crews are outstanding!

• Sad
Reactions: GON
I flew on UAL's 747's a few times, mostly to/from China. My last flight on one was a bummer, I had dinner in the Air China lounge in PVG (Shanghai) before the flight and got some serious food poisoning. I was in the lav for probably 7-8 hours. What struck me as interesting, I was upper deck in business and stayed in the front lav next to the cockpit for hours, and no one even checked on me. One of the least interested FA crews I ever experieinced, and 99% of the UAL international crews are outstanding!
C502C,

Sorry that happened to you. That is a horrible situation to have extreme pain from food poisoning on a 12-hour flight.

As for UA's upper deck business, only time I flew UA upper deck the seats were the old-style business, I had a window and could not get out to go the bathroom, as the man in the aisle slept with his seat extended. In the old configuration, the upper deck business seats at the window is not great with the curvatures of the fuselage.

C502C,

Sorry that happened to you. That is a horrible situation to have extreme pain from food poisoning on a 12-hour flight.

As for UA's upper deck business, only time I flew UA upper deck the seats were the old-style business, I had a window and could not get out to go the bathroom, as the man in the aisle slept with his seat extended. In the old configuration, the upper deck business seats at the window is not great with the curvatures of the fuselage.
I was in exactly that same configuration in the window seat. The guy on the aisle was rightfully upset that I kept getting up, so I just stayed in the lav.

• Sad
C502C,

It‘s been difficult to get business class seats “just right“ up in the hump - Cathay’s fishbone could have been nice if they had not put too many up there (narrow) - I mostly took the other deck for aisle access and nobody crossing me …

• Helpful
It‘s been difficult to get business class seats “just right“ up in the hump - Cathay’s fishbone could have been nice if they had not put too many up there (narrow) - I mostly took the other deck for aisle access and nobody crossing me …
4WD,

RGR that. I made a huge mistake when I checked in. UA offered to upgrade me from business seat to first class seat, and I declined as I wanted to try the upper deck. I blew it as it was not a comfortable seat, and I was captive in it with the guy in the aisle camped out.

I flew 747 about a half dozen times since, Cathay, Quantas, KLM, Pacifc (formally Fiji), and no avoid the upper deck. For a short flight, upper deck is fun. For a 14 hour flight- upper deck not so fun.

Agreed. The A380 won’t be winning any beauty pageants ( on the outside …..great Cabin inside I am sure ).

Very curious how each plane differs in performance ( cruise Mach, climb performance , etc ).

As far as I am concerned, any pilot who was fortunate enough to fly the 747 , Concorde , was a very lucky pilot.

My airline sold It’s 747s sometime around 2005?

Edit: Air Canada last 747 flight was October, 2004. They bought their first 747 in 1971 when AC was a govt run airline.

A340 replaced the 747 at my airline ( under powered except the super powerful , fantastic A340-500 ).

I found A380’s just used the same seats as other aircraft and it was a mad rush to get that many PAX to customs …
as for the A345 - very fuel thirsty - so got displaced by more efficient planes - but I did enjoy the 100 seat SQ version for several very long flights …

4WD,

RGR that. I made a huge mistake when I checked in. UA offered to upgrade me from business seat to first class seat, and I declined as I wanted to try the upper deck. I blew it as it was not a comfortable seat, and I was captive in it with the guy in the aisle camped out.

I flew 747 about a half dozen times since, Cathay, Quantas, KLM, Pacifc (formally Fiji), and no avoid the upper deck. For a short flight, upper deck is fun. For a 14 hour flight- upper deck not so fun.
The upper deck on Lufthansa 747-400s was First Class many years ago. Very exclusive, quiet experience. Great flight attendants. Like being on a private jet. Really wonderful.

The upper deck on Lufthansa 747-400s was First Class many years ago. Very exclusive, quiet experience. Great flight attendants. Like being on a private jet. Really wonderful.
Yup - had lobster in an LH B744 … However LH Business Class got behind some that went 1-2-1 …

Picture taken at HND airport earlier today, in what I speculate may have been JAL's first 747 being welcomed to the JAL team, and maybe the Japanese people.
PXL_20221210_073749257.jpg

Go for a plane ride, Flying is incredible.

Back