End of an era... 2007 Impala

Back story: circa 2008-ish, my parents needed a replacement for their aging Town & Country. My mother loved the van for it's space, however she also loved the fact that (at the time) they still sold sedans with front bench seats. We ended up with a rental spec 2008 Chevy Impala LT, 3500 V6, maroon on grey with the 6 passenger seating. 25k miles on the clock at purchase.

Through the years the car bounced between my mother, my aunt, my sister, and finally myself before I sold it for a cool G to a good friend. At that time, the odometer was sitting around 197k miles and the transmission was exhibiting the common 4t65 "2nd gear start" issue.

I ran into said friend this evening and asked her about the car. A look of sadness came over her face as she admitted to me that she just recently had to replace the Impala at 270k miles! Still ran and drove, evidently, but she'd (understandably) lost confidence in it's reliability. I believe my parents paid something like $12k in 2008 for the thing, and the single biggest repair it needed was an AC compressor. Long live the W-body!

We (or technically, I) have a 2002 Impala..... It was my parents' but they died in 2011 and 2021 respectively and I wound up with it (my brother had no interest in anything that's not a big fancy SUV). The car is a real trooper and just runs and runs! Obviously it has needed some repairs but it's so easy to work on and it runs so well I just can't get rid of it. It makes a good reliable backup car.

A very good car that got very good gas mileage for it's size. 270k is a good run for any vehicle.

I bought a year old 2008 Impala LT from a local dealership with 25k miles. Turns out the car was an Enterprise rental unit ( they had several in stock). Apparently GM had agreed to provide a "delete" package removing the side curtain airbags and abs from the cars to reduce the price (didn't realize it when I bought the car). The car blew it's head gaskets at 65k and it was repaired under warranty by the dealer. Shortly after I traded the Impala for my 2010
Nooooooooooooooo!

*Looks up and shakes fist in the air as the camera pulls back*

Suzuki Kizashi (which I still own and drive with just shy of 109k miles...car has been phenomenal despite Suzuki bailing in 2013 and the car being essentially worthless). I was later notified that as a settlement for the airbag/abs delete class suit I was entitled to $100 off my next Enterprise rental (!). I have not owned a GM vehicle or rented one from Enterprise since that debacle.

I bought a year old 2008 Impala LT from a local dealership with 25k miles. Turns out the car was an Enterprise rental unit ( they had several in stock). Apparently GM had agreed to provide a "delete" package removing the side curtain airbags and abs from the cars to reduce the price (didn't realize it when I bought the car). The car blew it's head gaskets at 65k and it was repaired under warranty by the dealer. Shortly after I traded the Impala for my 2010.
Imagine the huge settlement a family would get if their loved one was killed or paralyzed because "GM agreed to provide a 'delete' package to reduce the price".

my dad had a 2005 impala maroon with the gray interior, company car had it for a couple years. he didnt like because he had the grand prix before that and he seemed to like driving that car much better. i had a 2005 grand prix, drove it from 2007 to 2018 and put 140k miles on it. traded it 250k, still ran fine, just needed some work and i was ready for something new.

I bought a year old 2008 Impala LT from a local dealership with 25k miles. Turns out the car was an Enterprise rental unit ( they had several in stock). Apparently GM had agreed to provide a "delete" package removing the side curtain airbags and abs from the cars to reduce the price (didn't realize it when I bought the car). The car blew it's head gaskets at 65k and it was repaired under warranty by the dealer. Shortly after I traded the Impala for my 2010

That was exactly how ours was built: no ABS, no side airbags, bench front seat. To be honest, my mother actually preferred not having ABS (as do I). Being a child of the 50's, my mother spent a huge chunk of her driving career navigating our MN winters in everything from the family wagon to a Karmann Ghia. She hates ABS to this day.

Back