Emergency transponder for garage

Will be working at a garage by myself, with a lift, jacks, jackstands, and oxy acetl torches. There is no land line services or internet, however cell svc is ok. If there a necklace or a pendant that you can wear and press if you get stuck under a car for 911?

sis-ads-4.jpg

All I know about this product is from the last couple minutes of google searching and skimming the website, but it looks promising. There are paid options for the app, but it looks like the free version does what you're after.

Of course, devices like Apple watches have this functionality built in, and can also monitor for falls, car crashes, etc.

Knowing what it feels like to fail at bench-pressing, I would not expect being able to fumble for and operate an emergency alert device or phone after having been pancaked by a few thousand pounds. Of course, you may only pin a leg or an arm.

I will second the Apple Watch recommendation. I have an Apple Watch, and to be honest I really don’t care for it - the charge only lasts a day, and despite my turning off notifications, it buzzes beeps and squeals all the time. It nags me about standing up, and it is always nagging me about moving, because I leave it on the nightstand when I’m awake. So it sits doing nothing for 16 hours a day and it presumes that I’ve done the same thing. Every time I go through the software and turn off all the notifications, a software update comes out, and sets them all back on

That said - it pairs easily with my phone, it does have crash, recognition, and it is worn on my wrist, and because I don’t care about it, I am more likely to wear it if I’m working on a car.

Siri can be enabled, and it can make emergency calls from your phone if your phone is nearby.

do you have to push a button on the watch? if you are stuck under a car.. likely not possible.
However if I felt there was any chance of the car moving I wouldnt be under it. or have something taller than me stuffed under it.

WiFi hotspot an Alexa or Google smart device
I know Alexa can be instructed to call Alexa Emergency Assist
Most recent smartphones if within earshot can be voice triggered to call 911 thru Siri or Google Assistant

It's $6 a month, or $60 for the year

Nest Aware also offers 911 Assist, for a fee
You can link up a Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detector, which in a closed garage might be worth it

+2 on the voice activated phone.

Beware, if you're being crushed, you might not be able to breathe in. Make your one breath out, count.

Me: "ALEXA! gurgle, gurgle gargh."

ALEXA: "I didn't quite catch that. Can you please repeat what you said?"

Me: "gagh!"

ALEXA: " Gagh is a Klingon dish made from.serpent worms in the fictional Star Trek Universe. Would you like the recipe?"

Me: "ALEXA!!!!!"

Last edited:
Might be best just to go oldschool - call somebody just before you go under a vehicle or other hazzard and ask them to come check on you if you don't reply in x number of minutes. Or get a blue tooth headset/ear piece where touching it will dial the last number called.

Me: "ALEXA! gurgle, gurgle gargh."

ALEXA: "I didn't quite catch that. Can you please repeat what you said?"

Me: "gagh!"

ALEXA: " Gagh is a Klingon dish made from.serpent worms in the fictional Star Trek Universe. Would you like the recipe?"

Me: "ALEXA!!!!!"
It's funny 'cause it's true.....

Fall detection on an Apple Watch doesn’t detect garage mishaps but a long press on the side button with the latest watchOS and a swipe on SOS will summon help.

Might be best just to go oldschool - call somebody just before you go under a vehicle or other hazzard and ask them to come check on you if you don't reply in x number of minutes. Or get a blue tooth headset/ear piece where touching it will dial the last number called.
That’s what I do with my wife. And if I have a kid along, I have them stay away if I’m doing something dangerous like compressing springs. After verifying that they know what to do…

I will second the Apple Watch recommendation. I have an Apple Watch, and to be honest I really don’t care for it - the charge only lasts a day, and despite my turning off notifications, it buzzes beeps and squeals all the time. It nags me about standing up, and it is always nagging me about moving, because I leave it on the nightstand when I’m awake. So it sits doing nothing for 16 hours a day and it presumes that I’ve done the same thing. Every time I go through the software and turn off all the notifications, a software update comes out, and sets them all back on

That said - it pairs easily with my phone, it does have crash, recognition, and it is worn on my wrist, and because I don’t care about it, I am more likely to wear it if I’m working on a car.

Siri can be enabled, and it can make emergency calls from your phone if your phone is nearby.
I too have an Apple Watch. I prefer mechanical watches and still wear them because of some of the places I work. But I like my Apple Watch. Do you use theater mode? It does still ask about standing up and things like that because I like it to. But the rest of the time the screen stays off and it doesn’t bother me much.

Back