'Emergency' Catalytic Converter Trouble Code Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Anyone else ever consider the massive waste of fuel and added pollution of the EPA system?

My favorite is not the EPA so much as the (probably) oil companies that apparently pay off city officials to make sure you rarely hit a green light--even though you are on the main trafficway. A statistical impossibility that this is random traffic light timing.

Slightly off topic but my TL has a "smog abatement fee". Since it doesn't require a smog check for the first 6 years, they charge me a fee anyway when I get my tags.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Slightly off topic but my TL has a "smog abatement fee". Since it doesn't require a smog check for the first 6 years, they charge me a fee anyway when I get my tags.

Their moto is "You can pay me now or you can pay me now."

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
These cats are a little smaller than the factory cats, so we'll see how long they last.

If you live in California, there lies the problem. You have to get your replacement from the factory.

That's an exaggeration.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

What were the rules before 01/01/2009?
Sounds like you either buy a cat from the factory or you buy a cat that is just as expensive because the factory no longer supports it.

Last edited:
I just went through this as I thought I might need a catalytic converter as my car failed due to high Nox. It turned out it was a bad EGR valve.

I live in California in an area that does the enhanced testing meaning it has to be on a dyno under load at 15mph and 25mph test speeds.

He said if I needed a new cat, it had to be part number specific to the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Anyone else ever consider the massive waste of fuel and added pollution of the EPA system?

My favorite is not the EPA so much as the (probably) oil companies that apparently pay off city officials to make sure you rarely hit a green light--even though you are on the main trafficway. A statistical impossibility that this is random traffic light timing.

Ain't that the truth...Just last night I hit 20 red lights out of 19..These were all on busy main trafficways in Broward County..The same exact thing happens in Miami Dade County and through out the entire State of Florida including the Keyes.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Ain't that the truth...Just last night I hit 20 red lights out of 19..These were all on busy main trafficways in Broward County..The same exact thing happens in Miami Dade County and through out the entire State of Florida including the Keyes.

Gotta be a payoff somewhere , I think.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back