electronics are overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vacuum tubes got pretty sophisticated towards the end of their rein. I remember reading they used them in undersea cables for repeaters. They ran de-rated and had something like a 50 year life expectancy.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I can't get my self to spend money on electronics. maybe i'm old fashioned, but all the gadgets don't cut it for me. my iPod [censored] out after 2 years. I haven't replaced the stupid thing, probably never will. I should go live in a cave somewhere!

I'm tired of "devices." I'm tired of seeing everyone walking around fumbling with their "device" while not even paying attention to those around them. I'm tired of fumbling with "devices" causing accidents, etc. I'm tired of being continually cut off in a face-to-face conversation because their "device" beeped, whirred, etc. Get a life folks.

John

I agree to certain degree. I take exception for a singular device: My Netbook. No, it's not one of those stupid Winlite things with 1 GB Ram and 10" screen that basically ruined the market for a truly portable PC. And no it's not a huge supposed laptop with 22 minutes of battery life and 18" screen. My 12" Netbook with 64 bit Win 7 and 4 GB ram is amazing! Very light, very long battery life and it just screams. I can really work anywhere. What's missing is a more secure system of wireless and websites.

I hear you! What's disheartening to a kid who grew up in the 70's taking apart radios, tv's, building Heathkits, etc. is the junk that goes for consumer electronics these days. The old stuff was repairable, the new we just toss.

I still have my tube TV's from 25 & 20 yrs ago. Great picture. Never had cable or satellite. I get it the old fashioned way: Off-the-air. I rent movies for free from a local library. Modern TV hurts my eyes with all the flash-dash-potash. You can tell the marketing, advertising, & graphics people all grew up on video games, sugar & cafeine. It's so hyper! Styx wrote a song about this decades ago: "The Grand Illusion".

I enjoy building loudspeakers, audio amps, active filters, and restoring old audio gear. Over the years I've bought high-end audio gear for cheap on the used market and keep it going. I still have two Pioneer Silver receivers, one I've owned for 32 years and I bought it used then!

No I don't own a cell phone either. There is so much noise in the media/entertainment/news digital domain these days, I enjoy unplugging and woodworking in the analog domain. I'm a tool user and my hands get rather bored with a keyboard & a mouse.

I use to enjoy computer stuff, but now just want it to work. I'm a fix-it guy living in a throw-it-away society!

God, do I sound old....yikes!

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: crinkles
I can't get my self to spend money on electronics. maybe i'm old fashioned, but all the gadgets don't cut it for me. my iPod [censored] out after 2 years. I haven't replaced the stupid thing, probably never will. I should go live in a cave somewhere!

I'm tired of "devices." I'm tired of seeing everyone walking around fumbling with their "device" while not even paying attention to those around them. I'm tired of fumbling with "devices" causing accidents, etc. I'm tired of being continually cut off in a face-to-face conversation because their "device" beeped, whirred, etc. Get a life folks.

John

There's now a whole new catagory of OCD and beginning generations that are addicted to their devices. Clueless to their surroundings. People driving 50mph on the freeway, while talking on the phone, then suddenly want to get off realizing they're about to miss their exit. Just clueless . . and very dangerous.

It's digital crack.....obsessive, compulsive & highly addictive!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I hear you! What's disheartening to a kid who grew up in the 70's taking apart radios, tv's, building Heathkits, etc. is the junk that goes for consumer electronics these days. The old stuff was repairable, the new we just toss.

I still have my tube TV's from 25 & 20 yrs ago. Great picture. Never had cable or satellite. I get it the old fashioned way: Off-the-air. I rent movies for free from a local library. Modern TV hurts my eyes with all the flash-dash-potash. You can tell the marketing, advertising, & graphics people all grew up on video games, sugar & cafeine. It's so hyper! Styx wrote a song about this decades ago: "The Grand Illusion".

I enjoy building loudspeakers, audio amps, active filters, and restoring old audio gear. Over the years I've bought high-end audio gear for cheap on the used market and keep it going. I still have two Pioneer Silver receivers, one I've owned for 32 years and I bought it used then!

No I don't own a cell phone either. There is so much noise in the media/entertainment/news digital domain these days, I enjoy unplugging and woodworking in the analog domain. I'm a tool user and my hands get rather bored with a keyboard & a mouse.

I use to enjoy computer stuff, but now just want it to work. I'm a fix-it guy living in a throw-it-away society!

God, do I sound old....yikes!

It's ironic that you turned on a computer and posted that on the internet.

Originally Posted By: Beachboy
I'm stocking up on older CRT style TV's as they show up ridiculously cheap on Craig's List.

This time last year, my wife and I only had three CRT TVs. I'm up to 8 TVs now, people just keep giving me their TVs to upgrade. I just bought a house, so I have a TV in every room now. My sister has given my dad three CRT tvs in the past couple of years, the third CRT TV is coming because she bought her 13 year old son a flat screen for xmas. everyone is upgrading and no one wants these big CRT TVs, but they feel bad about throwing them in the dumpster and hurting the environment. So they look for a tightwad like me and offer me their free 36 inch CRT tv. It was an offer that I couldn't refuse.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back