electronics are overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get my self to spend money on electronics. maybe i'm old fashioned, but all the gadgets don't cut it for me. my iPod [censored] out after 2 years. I haven't replaced the stupid thing, probably never will. I should go live in a cave somewhere!

Agreed, I had an Android phone but it was so irritating that I "downgraded" to a regular phone. A phone should not crash and reboot during a conversation or turn off the ring-tone at random. I hated that thing with a passion. Although, my second generation has been going on strong for many years now. I like the ways of the old-school.
laugh.gif

Oops, I meant to say second generation Ipod in my previous post. An Android is a type of smart phone. They do not have them in Australia? This is what mine looked like:

motorola-verizon-droid.jpg

I know what you mean. The other day at work, I had to cycle power on the coffee maker because the microcontroller in it tumbled, then later I noticed I had to wait (not long) for the tape dispenser to boot-up (not kidding). The world's getting a bit goofy.

Yep - some electronics can be frustrating, but quality electronics, when they work
smile.gif
can be very useful and entertaining, too.

A lot depends on what category of electronics one means: I am pretty ignorant on phones (have a now extinct Blackberry Pearl), but very particular about audio (I am an audiophile I think hehe - and my audio needs can be pretty extensive), and to a lesser amount video (I only want excellent pic quality, not gimmicks), and very simple about mp3 players and such: I don't have one at all. (only wife has an antique 2nd gen ipod mini that STILL works like a champ).
Laptops: still use 2004-ish ThinkPad - don't care as long as it works, but keep it in best shape.
Cameras: I am sort of in the middle - don't have a "main" camera yet, just a P/S Nikon that cost $100 ... i am interested in photography, but need to get a good starter camera - again, my main intention is less gimmicks, good zoom, good pic quality.

Last edited:
I was into it more when I was a kid with paper route. (Imagine Kevin Spacey in American Beauty saving up all summer for a stereo.) I saw my own customers setting up for yard sales saturday morning and got great deals on 70's electronics.

In college I had a radio show on their 100 watt FM transmitter and it was rather cool hitting a yard sale for a box of records for a few bucks. Every single one had Peter Frampton's "Come Alive."
lol.gif

In college I was thrilled to the gills to find a color VGA monitor in the dumpster because the pins were bent in its connector. I righted them with a pocketknife.
thumbsup2.gif
I was ahead of the game hooking up my record player to my computer in 1998 and burning compilation CDs.

Internet, HDTV and digital photography have been fun. It's nice editing video on a bargain PC.

But everything is Chinese junk; Moore's law has everyone waiting for Blu-ray players to hit the $30 mark set by CD and DVD. IMO this is part of why the economy is stagnant, we're all content to stay home and play "farmville" on facebook.

I'm glad I got into fixing cars for a hobby; hot rodding computers just seems to lack any creativity. Watch newegg, enter credit card info, stick card in slot, repeat.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Back to the future of vacuum tubes?

I sooooooooooooo wish I had a vacuum tube home stereo!!!!!! We`re talking audiophile quality there!
20.gif

Actually vacuum tubes never went away. They are still used in high-end audio gear and better guitar/instrument amps.

I really like the latter 70's era Pioneer Stereo equipment - now called the Pioneer Silver-Era. These things were heavy duty, heavy (weight-wise), and were built to last. I have a couple of receivers and a component system from that era. Sansui, Fisher, and JVC also made great equipment back then too. And as a plus, they sound better (for 2-channel stereo music) than 95% of todays digital boxes with cube speakers and a cheap sub.

How many of the Chinese electronics of today will still be working 35 years from now?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Cameras: I am sort of in the middle - don't have a "main" camera yet, just a P/S Nikon that cost $100 ... i am interested in photography, but need to get a good starter camera - again, my main intention is less gimmicks, good zoom, good pic quality.

P/s is not where its at then. A good camera is all about the glass. Id buy a Nikon D3000 with a 24-70 f2.8 lens.

Seemingly off topic, but that is why I like photography... Because while you can electronically gimmick the sensors, the processing, etc., at the end of the day it all comes down to light and composition, things that are "mechanical" and that you have total control of.

Originally Posted By: helix_rider
Actually vacuum tubes never went away. They are still used in high-end audio gear and better guitar/instrument amps.

I really like the latter 70's era Pioneer Stereo equipment - now called the Pioneer Silver-Era. These things were heavy duty, heavy (weight-wise), and were built to last. I have a couple of receivers and a component system from that era. Sansui, Fisher, and JVC also made great equipment back then too. And as a plus, they sound better (for 2-channel stereo music) than 95% of todays digital boxes with cube speakers and a cheap sub.

How many of the Chinese electronics of today will still be working 35 years from now?

Right on! That`s when stereo equipment was made right! I have two Realistic recievers from the mid-late 70s that are beasts! They`re both rated at 120 wpc,all analog (the way electronics should be),SUPER heavy,all metal,and the entire backs are covered in heat sinks. Also,they have separate power transformers for both the left and right channels. Mass-fi stereo equipment you get at Best Buy,etc is a total joke. None of that stuff has true power. I bet you`re lucky to get 25 wpc out of one that`s rated at 300 wpc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

P/s is not where its at then. A good camera is all about the glass. Id buy a Nikon D3000 with a 24-70 f2.8 lens.

Seemingly off topic, but that is why I like photography... Because while you can electronically gimmick the sensors, the processing, etc., at the end of the day it all comes down to light and composition, things that are "mechanical" and that you have total control of.

Very true, good glass costs good money however and even the good stuff is a compromise of some sort. Do you want lots of zoom range, minimum distortion, a faster lens, etc. You can't have it all. If you do much indoor flash photography a really good flash is critical as well.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I sooooooooooooo wish I had a vacuum tube home stereo!!!!!! We`re talking audiophile quality there!
20.gif

tubes are great.

check out Caryaudio.com if anyone's into tubes, but they are $$.
There are some very good tube amp makers that are also very affordable....takes a bit of searching.

www.audiogon.com is where i found 90% of my audio gear. Great trading/selling place to find new/old stuff for very good prices, and it's a very safe place, too. highly recommended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

20.gif

tubes are great.

X10!!!! Sound gear now, seems to concentrate on convience to me, more than true sound quality..IHMO of course, but I am planning on keeping my vintage stuff going as long as I can!

I'm starting to flaunt my dinosaur status. I don't have a cell phone and don't plan to. Same with Ipods and MP3 players. NO HD TV's either, I'm stocking up on older CRT style TV's as they show up ridiculously cheap on Craig's List.

I've gotten old enough that I simply don't need the latest toys to show I'm "cool" or have money. I'm tired of seeing my media move from 78 RPM records to LP's, then reel to reel tape, 4 and 8 tracks, cassettes, then finally CD's. Since in my opinion, no music worthy of listening to has been made since 1980, my current record and CD collection will do me nicely until they bury me.

I had a huge collection in VHS tapes, then that was obsoleted with DVD's. Now my DVD collection is being obsoleted by Blue Ray. I haven't even migrated to Blue Ray yet, and I hear that all home media itself is apparently obsolete and the future is going to be downloading everything off the internet. Netflix is phasing out its DVD-by-mail program in favor of instant downloads. Sorry Netflix, but my internet connection speed is way too slow to accommodate live streaming, and a faster connection would cost me around $200/month.

I plan on even losing my TV signal soon. I still have analog cable, but they're pressuring me to switch to digital, which requires my coaxial distribution system to be replaced with ethernet wiring and jacks. Sorry cable company, but my coax was installed when I built the house, and you can't neatly retrofit an ethernet distribution system.

Ain't technology wonderful? I can see why marketers don't target guys in their 50's like me....we're so fed up with obsolence that we flatly refuse to buy the next greatest thing, and just hold onto what works for us.

We also don't have cable. Never did. For entertainment, we rely on Netflix mail account AND streaming. For catching up on eve news, we get about 7-8 free over the air HD channels, and that's more than enough.

Some people might have the latest electronics to show off, but a lot of them might have them to actually use and enjoy them for themselves. Can't generalize like that. Compared to most I have little amount of electronics (see my previous post), but they're all mid-high quality and i can enjoy them without "showing them off". that's not the purpose of owning good electronics. Most people who "show off" their electronics aren't very knowledgeable about them, in my experience. I'd rather have a 40" LCD with excellent quality than some POS 60" TV with horrible quality.
Because I am very picky and find mid-high quality stuff, I usually don't upgrade until something is non-functional. I still have my 1st HDTV, and as long as it's compatible with what i use it for, and i am happy about the pic quality, i don't care what's latest.

If you're happy with what you have that's all that matters, but one person's ways are not the best for everyone. We all have different amounts of interest in different hobbies/areas. I am sure a lot of people don't care about oil either, but we enjoy being interested in oil, and we won't let those people say it's useless, right?
smile.gif
I belong to the crowd that enjoy good, high quality electronics without being over the top on the amount, and that shouldn't bother anyone.

HDTVs have become very cheap now, and if you do have DVDs, I don't see the point of hording CRT TVs, (if you still had VHS only, then that's fine). You could have probably gotten a LCD tv for the same amount of $$ and watched the DVDs in better quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back