Electrical oddness - Old Indiana House...

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Grandmas/ Moms/ Mine house in Northern Indiana
Renter left after 20+ years to get close to grandkids.

I remember hearing something about low voltage lighting, but not having stepped foot in this house for 45 years a few things came right back as being weird even then....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 12.29.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 12.29.14 PM.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 104
That outlet's actually 220. See how it's under a window? That looks like a NEMA 6-15R for an old energy guzzling AC unit, or, potentially, space heater.

Is that switch a standard 2-gang box size? Because it could be a weird proprietary style on normal 110 current.

It was a fad to switch outlets for lamps instead of overhead lights for a while (1970s)

Last edited:
The low voltage lighting controls was a hot thing in the 1960s and 1970s. These days there are few electricians who want to work on it beyond ripping it out. If I had low voltage lighting controls I would see if I could replace the old relays with WIFI or zWave switches. Would not need to rip apart walls to replace wiring.

Yep. I've looked at some homes like that and it was low voltage switching. Those push buttons run on 12-24VDC and activate a relay at each fixture that does the actual 120vac switching.

That outlet's actually 220. See how it's under a window? That looks like a NEMA 6-15R for an old energy guzzling AC unit, or, potentially, space heater.

Is that switch a standard 2-gang box size? Because it could be a weird proprietary style on normal 110 current.

It was a fad to switch outlets for lamps instead of overhead lights for a while (1970s)

The window was changed over time but as a kid I remember an AC unit in the window.

I think the main problem with low voltage wiring is that I think it's something like 18 gauge wire or whatever it is, it isn't 14 which is what you would need for regular 15 amp circuits so you'd have to rip that wiring out and replace it with 14 in order to do regular wiring. I've run into one house that had it and those relays burn out so now it's more expensive to go to a conventional setup.

The relays are usually at a central location, not at each fixture. Have someone press the button while you go around to listen for a "clunk" from the relay.

Parts for this system are still available. The old relays contained a substantial pool of mercury so should be disposed of properly.

I think the main problem with low voltage wiring is that I think it's something like 18 gauge wire or whatever it is, it isn't 14 which is what you would need for regular 15 amp circuits so you'd have to rip that wiring out and replace it with 14 in order to do regular wiring. I've run into one house that had it and those relays burn out so now it's more expensive to go to a conventional setup.

18 gauge wire is fine for LEDs just need to keep a proper breaker to match (10amp)

I believe 18gage is still grandfathered for lights but anything smaller than 14 gage is illegal in new building

The relays are usually at a central location, not at each fixture. Have someone press the button while you go around to listen for a "clunk" from the relay.

Parts for this system are still available. The old relays contained a substantial pool of mercury so should be disposed of properly.
I've seen them both ways. Either with a relay board of sorts or relays at the light fixtures.

Like said, the low voltage switching wiring itself was similar to doorbell or thermostat wire.

Retrofitting with a normal 120vac switch leg down from each fixture wouldn't be horribly expensive provided the walls are some sort of drywall.

Back