Electric Ratchet

In the market for an electric ratchet. Anyone have first hand experience? This will be primarily used for the myriad of torx bolts on the Giulia.

Was thinking something along the lines of this Husky.

You need to decide on 1/4 inch drive vs 3/8 inch drive. I’m quite happy with my Milwaukee 3/8 inch drive. I use it a lot. One battery is more than enough. Haven’t tried out Husky. With Milwakee the Fuel series is more robust but is larger in size and much more expensive. Some times the right answer is the tool that is small enough to actually fit in the area you want to use it in. Good luck.

In the market for an electric ratchet. Anyone have first hand experience? This will be primarily used for the myriad of torx bolts on the Giulia.

Was thinking something along the lines of this Husky.

That Husky looks like a good tool. I'm in the market also and figures this saves a bunch of time with hard to reach bolts etc. 35 ft lbs. should be enough I would imagine.
I like like that it's on the slender side also. I have some Ryobi tools and looked at their cordless wrench, but who wants a huge battery on the end. Not me.

id get milwaukee non-fuel m12 series. very handy works great.

fuel is too big, and you loosen/tighten with arm.. like a ratchet.
so motor power is irrelevant

Last edited:
I did a 2:18 video on YouTube "Review of the Husky Cordless Ratchet".

I bought it at HD. It's strong. Though if you have the Milwaukee M12 battery and charger, I'd get that. I may have paid $75, ratchet, charger, sockets, case. I don't regret the purchase, it's terrific, saved me a lot of time.

Milwaukee M12. Have both the 1/4” and the 3/8”. Both work great. Similar torque. Quite compact.

Buy whichever one fits your torx sockets...or buy two...
4667315C-40EA-4688-91F5-9DB50D2A5257.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Milwaukee M12. I use it a lot. Not terribly strong, but incredibly convenient.

The thinner and shorter it can be, the better...

You need to decide on 1/4 inch drive vs 3/8 inch drive. I’m quite happy with my Milwaukee 3/8 inch drive. I use it a lot. One battery is more than enough. Haven’t tried out Husky. With Milwakee the Fuel series is more robust but is larger in size and much more expensive. Some times the right answer is the tool that is small enough to actually fit in the area you want to use it in. Good luck.
I went with the 1/4 fuel because of the smaller size and it's faster. It has broken lose more bolts than I thought would even with the 40 ft.lb. I really like it when I'm putting something back together and with Subarus, they use a lot of fine threaded nuts and bolts in tight spaces so this saves a lot of time.

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I’ll have to take a closer at the Milwaukee options.

The 1/4 inch drive electric ratchets are wonderful for working on aircraft. As any bit ever made is easily adapted. Gets inside tight spots and removes/starts screws with ease.

I didnt like the Milwaukee when I demoed it. I really didnt like how it felt in my hand and I didnt like the trigger. I wound up buying the snapon 14.4 3/8 and 1/4. Now bear in mind that I am a pro and use these every day so feel is incredibly important to me.

I have a Milwaukee M12. I use it a lot. Not terribly strong, but incredibly convenient.

The thinner and shorter it can be, the better...

Same here. Use it all the time. Mine is a 3/8" but came with a 1/4" adapter. My usage is probably evenly split between the two drives, but I've never felt like I should have a separate 1/4" drive unit.

That Husky looks thick in the handle, but I have fairly small hands. I hate to say it, but I like the shape of the HF Earthquake ratchet. Never used one though.

Same here. Use it all the time. Mine is a 3/8" but came with a 1/4" adapter. My usage is probably evenly split between the two drives, but I've never felt like I should have a separate 1/4" drive unit.

That Husky looks thick in the handle, but I have fairly small hands. I hate to say it, but I like the shape of the HF Earthquake ratchet. Never used one though.

I absolutely LOVE 1/4 drive. I use it as much as possible. But the reason why is because it is small and light. So I run a really small and light 1/4 ratchet, and the sockets - just enough for what I need.

1/4" air or electric ratchet, to me, would add bulk and detract from the major benefit of wrenching with 1/4".

I know some vehicles require 1/4 for other reasons, and then the thinking may be different. For what I do, a 3/8" electric and ratchet, and then a 1/4" ratchet fit the bill.

Example with ubiquitous 13mm sockets; top is my go to SK 1/4", the other two are 3/8":

95E43A43-69F8-4CE5-841D-98C107B7366E.jpeg

My M12 3/8 ratchet is offsite, but it’s at least as long as the SO ratchet on the bottom of the pic, and MUCH larger diameter.

EDIT: had a look at the HF Earthquake. Looks like its longer and slimmer. That might be a useful form factor. It also claims 60 ft-lb. I dont know that Id believe it, since most others seem to be 25-35 ft lb, but if its true, Ill be the first to say that a bit more torque would be desirable IMO... so that might be a winner!

Last edited:
Kobalt is selling one now as well... 24v so it might be on the large size...?

Yeah it looks a bit bulky, but I’ve had good experiences with Kobalt so it did grab my attention.

I think I’ll make the rounds this weekend and try to get my hands on a few to see which feel right.

EDIT: had a look at the HF Earthquake. Looks like its longer and slimmer. That might be a useful form factor. It also claims 60 ft-lb. I dont know that Id believe it, since most others seem to be 25-35 ft lb, but if its true, Ill be the first to say that a bit more torque would be desirable IMO... so that might be a winner!

m12 fuel is 55 so 60 seems possible.. but the m12 fuel is so much LESS usable even with the extra torque.. due to size. you can still use the electric ratchet with your arm like a regular one so I am looking for the smallest thinnest one possible.. I'll probably snag a m12 1/2" drive non-fuel next time they have a good bare tool sale.

I wouldnt consider the HF just because i dont want a 4th battery system.

m12 fuel is 55 so 60 seems possible.. but the m12 fuel is so much LESS usable even with the extra torque.. due to size. you can still use the electric ratchet with your arm like a regular one so I am looking for the smallest thinnest one possible.. I'll probably snag a m12 1/2" drive non-fuel next time they have a good bare tool sale.

I wouldnt consider the HF just because i dont want a 4th battery system.

Pretty sure my M12 is rated at 35 ft-lb, though maybe its not the fuel one... Maybe there's a newer/stronger one out there from Milwaukee. I totally agree due to size, thus my desire t use 1/4 drive on a short ratchet when possible...

Agree on the number of battery systems... Doesnt bother me a ton if I can get the tools on a great deal, as it seems like sometimes the kits are a better value. But I dont want too many batteries around either...

Yeah it looks a bit bulky, but I’ve had good experiences with Kobalt so it did grab my attention.

I think I’ll make the rounds this weekend and try to get my hands on a few to see which feel right.
I was looking on Amazon... This looked good and the reviews also. It's half the cost of a Milwaukee and for my needs, may just do the trick. I like the "2" batteries also. Really though... with almost everything made in China/Taiwan these days.... It looks like a good deal. (Especially when you compare it to the Husky)
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71GjnFz5QTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well, I ended up going with the Makita as the price was good. Now I’ve got egg on my face as I thought my drill/driver was the 12v system. Nope! I’ve got the 18v LXT 🤦‍♂️.

Oh well, now I’ve got all my Makita battery options covered and can just grab and buy in the future 😂.

Back