Electric car sales down 58% in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/dec/04/gwiz-green-car-sales-slump
Quote:
a total of just 156 electric cars were sold in the UK from January to October 2008, compared with 374 for the same period last year. The vast majority of the sales (and the 58% slump) are G-Wiz cars, made by Indian car company Reva.

Richard Bremner, editor of cleangreencars.co.uk, who unearthed the electric car sales figures, said: "People have maybe woken up to the fact that the electric vehicles that have been offered to date, they're not hugely appealing other than for their green credentials and they're only suitable for short journeys around town."

Quote:
Vicky Wyatt, Greenpeace transport campaigner said the sales car sales slump was worrying. "Electric cars have a key role to play in tackling climate change as well as reducing our dependence on foreign oil supplies.

"Sales should be going through the roof, and the fact that they are declining points to a failure on the part of government and manufacturers to make them more attractive to motorists in the UK."

She said the government should introduce lower road tax and excise duty, free parking, closed-loop battery recycling and urban plug in points.

So in other words, they should subsidize and bailout the electric car industry. It's the government's fault these things aren't selling...
LOL.gif

they don't have a big enough government subsidy yet. Or the lobbiests haven't $uported their favorite politicians to make them manditory.

Hmmm.... no how much Europe hates capitalism the 'invisible hand' of the market always shines through. NICE!

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Hmmm.... no how much Europe hates capitalism the 'invisible hand' of the market always shines through. NICE!

I don't no!
212a2oj.jpg

So wait a minute, is this the same Europe that approved Kyoto and has been lambasting us for not doing the same; the same Europe that just enacted more enviromnental standards? I'm confused and befuddled (and am quitting now before I cross the "too political" threshhold.... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back