Electric Car Charger Vandalism Continues To Surge Nationwide

Right. But your comment was based on you saying it was half the price to charge than $2.99 gas. So thats nice, but its more money up front too, so there is no ROI there. If you want to drive it for other reasons, like I said, whatever works best for you.

Thats always the first argument from EV owners - there so much cheaper on fuel. Your really just pre-paying for the fuel. There is no justification for EV's being better based on fuel costs alone in most parts of the USA.
Depends on what you're buying. I'm not cross shopping a base Camry and a Model 3.

Depends on what you're buying. I'm not cross shopping a base Camry and a Model 3.
I agree.

But then why go to the "I pay less for electricity" route.

I drive an old pickup truck for a reason. If you gave me a model 3 and free electricity, I would drive it when I could, but most days it wouldn't do me a lot of good, too small, no cargo space, won't make it to the fishing hole, etc.

This is what I found; ?
View attachment 220432

Here is the information I copy pasted for you that does sound like 2022 and older qualifies. As long as the previous owner didn't get the tax credit. Now what I wonder is what if the original owner got the NEW EV tax credit, does it qualify for USED EV tax credit? This I do not know.

But now that the IRS gives the tax credit in form of an instant rebate at dealer point of sale, NOT later in your tax return, if the dealer is NOT giving you the $4K discount right then and there and you are NOT receiving a paper copy of the form showing they did the IRS thing, do NOT buy the car.

--------

To qualify, a vehicle must meet all of these requirements:

• Have a sale price of $25,000 or less. Sale price includes all dealer-imposed costs or fees not required by law. It doesn't include costs or fees required by law, such as taxes or title and registration fees.

• Have a model year at least 2 years earlier than the calendar year when you buy it. For example, a vehicle purchased in 2023 would need a model year of 2021 or older.

• Not have already been transferred after August 16, 2022 to a qualified buyer.

• Have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 14,000 pounds

• Be an eligible FCV or plug-in EV with a battery capacity of least 7 kilowatt hours

• Be for use primarily in the United States
The sale qualifies only if:

• You buy the vehicle from a dealer.

• For qualified used EVs, the dealer reports required information to you at the time of sale and to the IRS.

I agree.

But then why go to the "I pay less for electricity" route.

I drive an old pickup truck for a reason. If you gave me a model 3 and free electricity, I would drive it when I could, but most days it wouldn't do me a lot of good, too small, no cargo space, won't make it to the fishing hole, etc.
Because I pay less for electricity to move it than the other $40k car we were looking at. Too much if this then that goalpost moving here. Everyone’s situation is different. Saving $1,500 in fuel isn’t a small amount when the purchase price is near identical. You’ll never save money by buying a car.

You know, Im sort of surprised many car dealers still work this hard antiquated sales tactic. It's like pulling teeth getting answers from them with emails. Not kidding, the standard response is, the car is available when do you want to come in for a test drive. All they want to do is get you in the door, trying to get direct answers is annoying.
Anyway, the car 2 hours aways sounds REALLY nice. Leather the whole works, we are told the car is showroom, local one owner. I looked at a lot but I think I confirmed it was local NC registration.

SO I ask about the 4k rebate, would be a sweet deal if it was. It's a 2022, the answer is it "should" be eligible. Not a direct answer... but who knows maybe IF and only iff we want to take the drive I will call directly and find out because if we do drive and its everything they say, we would drive it home. Just dont know if we are motivated enough yet.
This is another story but I did both our cars with Sylvania headlight restore last weekend, wow, both cars look awesome and the Mazda we would be getting rid of looks as showroom as a 2012 car can. One little half inch mark on the read drivers side door. I know I can sell it in a moment just by putting a Facebook add in my community FB page.

Thanks for your reply I assume you are sure on this? ANY 2022 Bolt will qualify?

It's sad how car dealers are generally awful. They don't know or don't care about the tax credit. I don't get WHY they don't care when it's an instant $4K off for the customer that the dealer doesn't have to pay a penny for.

Because I pay less for electricity to move it than the other $40k car we were looking at. Too much if this then that goalpost moving here. Everyone’s situation is different. Saving $1,500 in fuel isn’t a small amount when the purchase price is near identical. You’ll never save money by buying a car.

Yep, walking is always cheaper, but last I checked my car can get me 250 miles in any direction at 92mph with climate control carrying up to 3 other people and/or a bunch of stuff. Can't do that when walking :)

No matter what, certain people have decided EVs are trash and worthless for everyone because the charging is never fast enough, the range is never good enough, the 10 year battery warranty is not good enough, the cost of fueling it is never cheap enough despite gas being expensive AF and even if power is cheap that's never good enough for them.

They should ask walmart for the surveillance video. I have heard of them providing it case of an incident. Worth asking, might need a police report first.
Probably too far down the road and too far away to pursue, my parents live about 20 minutes away from me in Central Texas and they are not going to want to fly back to the El Paso to deal with it. Maybe the insurance company will do the legwork, dunno.

I would say might help bring the cost of a used EV down closer to a ICE vehicle. Certainly not cheaper. Might be more where one lives with used EVs. Im looking for a used Bolt that is loaded. There is one 2023 (or 22) 2 hour drive away, dealer hasn't committed if it qualifies for the $4k tax credit, says "it should" based on where the battery is made. 2 hours is to far to drive though. Not motivated enough, maybe next year when the new ones come out.
I guess what I meant was, cheaper than paying list, or alternately, cheaper than where we were two years ago.

My parents waited 6 months to get their ID.4 in 2022 and they paid sticker. The bottom has fallen out in the last two years. You can pick up 2022 ID.4s with less than 20K miles for less than half of original sticker price. Same with the Bolts. Teslas have held value a little better, but that's still not saying much considering you could recently get a 1-2 year old Model 3 from Hertz for barely over 20K.

Haha so true.

...But you have to have one in many locations if you live in the US.
I’d literally have no way to get to work without one. Sometimes my main terminal changes. Lyft and Uber is near nonexistent here. I’d take a massive pay cut to not have a car. We have city cabs, but they only offer a certain radius. They won’t go 35 miles to another town and don’t operate at night which is when my phone usually rings for work. I could move within walking distance to work, but then if I got forced to Milwaukee again I’d then be 2 hours from work. This area did not consider public transportation at all. It’s just too small of a town. If I worked in town I could ride my bike. I can’t bike 70 miles around trip though.

Same for the EV? You'll have 100K on it in no time.
I have 30K on it, now.
I'm actually splitting up my driving some with my Mom's Buick. Sometimes I just feel low-key, and a 20 year old car sends more the message I want to send, at times. It's surprisingly handy, as well as sentimental.

I’d literally have no way to get to work without one. Sometimes my main terminal changes. Lyft and Uber is near nonexistent here. I’d take a massive pay cut to not have a car. We have city cabs, but they only offer a certain radius. They won’t go 35 miles to another town and don’t operate at night which is when my phone usually rings for work. I could move within walking distance to work, but then if I got forced to Milwaukee again I’d then be 2 hours from work. This area did not consider public transportation at all. It’s just too small of a town. If I worked in town I could ride my bike. I can’t bike 70 miles around trip though.
[getting way off topic here]

I would be willing to ride my bike to the train station but in my rapidly growing exurban area there is a stretch with heavy traffic and zero shoulder that I am unwilling to try on a bicycle. There are improvements coming including a grade separated multi-use path for cyclists and walkers along a toll road, but government moves slow.

It would also be uncomfortable in the summertime, but, there is a shower at the office so not impossible. I have a metric ton of cycling ear also, am well prepared for hot weather.

Last edited:
[getting way off topic here]

I would be willing to ride my bike to the train station but in my rapidly growing exurban area there is a stretch with heavy traffic and zero shoulder that I am unwilling to try on a bicycle. There are improvements coming including a grade separated multi-use path for cyclists and walkers along a toll road, but government moves slow.

It would also be uncomfortable in the summertime, but, there is a shower at the office so not impossible. I have a metric ton of cycling ear also, am well prepared for hot weather.
That's the thing. There's no passenger trains that come through my area and the rail that goes through my town doesn't connect to the rail where I work out of. That line was severed at least 30 years ago, not to mention trying to run on a schedule with a 2 hour call to make it 35 miles might make that problematic. I think that's why I'm so particular about my cars. I spend a lot more time in them even than I used to.

Back