Electric Car Charger Vandalism Continues To Surge Nationwide

I'm sure people whined about auto theft and said horses were better, while ignoring cattle rustling, too.
Not really, the ICE automobile was embraced. There weren't many cars in 1910. By 1920 there were 9M cars in the US which had a population of about 110M, so approximately 1 car per 12 people.

Current EV's models have been around about the same period of time. There are like 2.5M now, with a population of 340M - so well under less than one per one hundred.

They had EV's back in the early 1900's also. Weren't very popular back then either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
I see all sorts of cars available everywhere, but EV sales will continue to climb. They're just better, for a fair size of the population segment. I'm sure people whined about auto theft and said horses were better, while ignoring cattle rustling, too.
I agree 100% but lithium battery ones will never over take gasoline during our lifetime. I can see one EV at every or most households if the price ever gets down another 25%. But that is all most households will be able to handle without inconvenience and Americans have no patience for inconvenience.
You see all sorts of cars everywhere and that tells a story. All sorts are gasoline produced in massive numbers EV can never be.
SO the key is this with only a tiny fraction of the population owning an EV why are they available if they are in demand?

Example, Myrtle Beach population is over 400,000 and car showrooms always have people in them. It is also a relatively wealthy area.
Why are 5 new EV Blazers available at the chevy dealer? they should ahve been sold the minute they came in.
Why as per my previous post was a sales person trying to sell us a brand new I4 left over 2023 ID4 with a gleam in his eyes marked down $20,000 !??!??!
A $57,000 car brand new, on display right at the entrance, sitting there,. BEAUTIFUL CAR>
Oops, just checked, someone finally bought it... We loved it.
Ok, at the same time, all these 2024s $5,000 off AND dont forget another $7,500 off from the taxpayer... hmmmm
I got to tell you, these cars are gorgeous ... not kidding. I would be tempted even though way more than I want to spend on our second car but the dealer is way to far away for a lifetime of service on it. 50 minutes each way in non tourist season.

Last edited:
Not really, the ICE automobile was embraced. There weren't many cars in 1910. By 1920 there were 9M cars in the US which had a population of about 110M, so approximately 1 car per 12 people.

Current EV's models have been around about the same period of time. There are like 2.5M now, with a population of 340M - so well under less than one per one hundred.

They had EV's back in the early 1900's also. Weren't very popular back then either.
No offense, but unfortunately this is a perfect example of statistics taken out of context.
In the early days of US cars, only the very rich could afford a car at all; most cars were electric with very limited range. Roads were very bad, only good for horses. From your numbers, almost no one had a car.
Even in the 30 and 40s, kids used to brag about how many cars are on their street. Now it's how many EVs are on their street.

Henry Ford's Highland plant changed the world by making cars affordable for the masses.
Today there are about 280M registered vehicles in the US, not to mention unregistered vehicles. Pretty much everyone has a car, or 2 or 5 or?

Today at least 30% of your population number is not of driving age or ability. I have no idea how many gas stations or driver licenses there were in 1920, but not very many.

Last edited:
I see all sorts of cars available everywhere, but EV sales will continue to climb. They're just better, for a fair size of the population segment. I'm sure people whined about auto theft and said horses were better, while ignoring cattle rustling, too.
I recall my grandfather, talking about his father, who said the horse knew how to get home, even when fell asleep at the reigns. Cars are only just getting to that ability

Now with all the voltage in those battery packs they're finally able to give a good ole kick now too. And with all the of switchgear and menus, liable to show an ornery side. And there's been plenty of manure spread around about how cars are just all bad for us.

So cars are finally catching up to the horse.

I was reading they are shocked that the cables are being cut off. Anyone who believes the thieves would not go after these cables like a fly on dung for the copper is some sort of dim bulb.

Maybe they already got all the cats in their territory? I gave my beloved 1993 Toyota strippie 4wd PU to my BIL after I got the Tundra. He fired it up one morning and it sounded like a dang 440 Magnum with a shot muffler. In those days you could get a new one installed for under $80.

The truck is still in service; the odo died at 350K. Maybe close to 500K now? Dunno.

No offense, but unfortunately this is a perfect example of statistics taken out of context.
In the early days of US cars, only the very rich could afford a car at all; most cars were electric with very limited range. Roads were very bad, only good for horses. From your numbers, almost no one had a car.
Even in the 30 and 40s, kids used to brag about how many cars are on their street. Now it's how many EVs are on their street.

Henry Ford's Highland plant changed the world by making cars affordable for the masses.
Today there are about 280M registered vehicles in the US, not to mention unregistered vehicles. Pretty much everyone has a car, or 2 or 5 or?

Today at least 30% of your population number is not of driving age or ability. I have no idea how many gas stations or driver licenses there were in 1920, but not very many.
I don't think that is really true. The whole point of the model T was that it was not supposed to be a luxury item for the rich. That was Henry Ford's entire goal. Prior to the model T that was definitely true. Henry started the model T production line in 1908. They had sold millions by 1920.

The only stat I can find is that the Model T was $290 in 1924, and that it had come down from $780 in 1910. The average income was $2200. So that would be less annual income than a new car today even in 1910. In 1920 it would comparable to maybe a $25K car now - Median income is what $75K? I do imagine you had to pay cash for it - financing was likely not a thing?

Infrastructure was definitely a problem - both roads and gas stations. However Route 66 officially opened in 1926, although much of it was nothing more than tire tracks through the mud, but there were places to drive. You can see it in old black and white photos.

I think referring to EV's as the equivalent to cars and horses at the turn of the century is clearly hyperbole.

I don't think that is really true. The whole point of the model T was that it was not supposed to be a luxury item for the rich. That was Henry Ford's entire goal. Prior to the model T that was definitely true. Henry started the model T production line in 1908. They had sold millions by 1920.

The only stat I can find is that the Model T was $290 in 1924, and that it had come down from $780 in 1910. The average income was $2200. So that would be less annual income than a new car today even in 1910. In 1920 it would comparable to maybe a $25K car now - Median income is what $75K? I do imagine you had to pay cash for it - financing was likely not a thing?

Infrastructure was definitely a problem - both roads and gas stations. However Route 66 officially opened in 1926, although much of it was nothing more than tire tracks through the mud, but there were places to drive. You can see it in old black and white photos.
It is true. Yes, by 1920 the Model T was blowing out sales, as you said. But the fact remains any cars before that time were for the very rich. Electricity was the fuel choice because homes already had it. There were very few cars of any kind.

By 1900, the United States had 4,000 cars (compared to 20 million horses), but gasoline was still considered a waste by-product of producing kerosene. Pioneering motorists had to take a bucket to the general store, hardware dealer, drugstore or local refinery and fill up from a gasoline barrel. The 1st gas station was 1913. By 1929 there were over 120K "filling stations".

Before the Highland Park, Michigan plant, cars were made by a small number of workers, one at a time. They were custom and expensive. The Highland's assembly line production model made cars affordable and changed the world forever. The Model T was designed for easy DIY service because there were no "service stations"; filling stations later became service stations.

Today pretty much anyone in America can get a car. It's a far different world from the early 1900s prior to the T. And then Fords were the only car the average customer could afford.

Saying people do not want EVs today is not true. Every major car maker is investing huge money in EVs and the Model Y was the #1 selling car in the world, at twice the price of the #2 Corolla.

Last edited:
Saying people do not want EVs today is not true. Every major car maker is investing huge money in EVs and the Model Y was the #1 selling car in the world, at twice the price of the #2 Corolla.
I dunno, they see an opportunity and don't want to get left behind. Whether it pans out or not is secondary--profit first, everything else is second (except quality, that's not even a distant third).

I dunno, they see an opportunity and don't want to get left behind. Whether it pans out or not is secondary--profit first, everything else is second (except quality, that's not even a distant third).
Of course; it's all about making money. I agree about "left behind"; legacy companies believed they had to get in the game. And who knows where this ends up?

I don't understand the ICE vs EV stuff. It seems some have a one-or-the-other attitude; that's just silly.

It is true. Yes, by 1920 the Model T was blowing out sales, as you said. But the fact remains any cars before that time were for the very rich. Electricity was the fuel choice because homes already had it. There were very few cars of any kind.

By 1900, the United States had 4,000 cars (compared to 20 million horses), but gasoline was still considered a waste by-product of producing kerosene. Pioneering motorists had to take a bucket to the general store, hardware dealer, drugstore or local refinery and fill up from a gasoline barrel. The 1st gas station was 1913. By 1929 there were over 120K "filling stations".

Before the Highland Park, Michigan plant, cars were made by a small number of workers, one at a time. They were custom and expensive. The Highland's assembly line production model made cars affordable and changed the world forever. The Model T was designed for easy DIY service because there were no "service stations"; filling stations later became service stations.

Today pretty much anyone in America can get a car. It's a far different world from the early 1900s prior to the T. And then Fords were the only car the average customer could afford.

I think your taking my comments out of context. I was responding to a comment that very loosely inferred it might have been somewhat similar to the transition from horses to cars. But in that transition, cars were embraced at large. I specifically chose 1920, because at that point cars had been affordable for about a decade, and 1 in 12 people had one, which based on family size in 1920 was really better than one per 2 families. In the same comparative time EV's are 1 per 100. Clearly the comparison is different. A horse wasn't a car, but clearly an ICE car or EV are more or less the same at their core utility.

I don't think people are shunning EV's - I just think for most people the high up front cost and recharge time and complexity exceed any possible benefits. They probably work great for people that a) don't take many long trips, b) can charge at home and c) have enough cash or income that significantly higher up front cost doesn't matter. What percentage of the population meets all 3 of those? Whatever that number is, that will be the EV ceiling until those variables change. I think were getting closer to that ceiling daily.

Last edited:
Of course; it's all about making money. I agree about "left behind"; legacy companies believed they had to get in the game. And who knows where this ends up?

I don't understand the ICE vs EV stuff. It seems some have a one-or-the-other attitude; that's just silly.
Agreed. I know that, no matter how many times I send my crystal ball out for polishing, it always comes back just as murky.

Automakers (and other companies) used to be able to handle multiple projects in parallel. I’m not sure what is killing that, the search for the almighty dollar or an inability to plan.

So will the big iPad in your Tesla tell you that the cables in your nearest charging station are cut or do you just get surprised when you are looking for a charge?

Agreed. I know that, no matter how many times I send my crystal ball out for polishing, it always comes back just as murky.

Automakers (and other companies) used to be able to handle multiple projects in parallel. I’m not sure what is killing that, the search for the almighty dollar or an inability to plan.
What's funny is, the C-Level staff is responsible for the ongoing growth and success of the company, less so the short term operations and revenue from operations.

As @SC Maintenance has pointed out, EV market share consumption may be approaching an inflection point.
If EVs are to continue on their rapid growth curve, someone has to offer a $25K to $30K car with 300 mile range and charging issues need to be sufficiently addressed.
The $25,000 price tag won’t be achieved through traditional production processes.
You can fairly make the point that the current Teslas are in need of a refresh.

I can tell you this; I was overjoyed to pay $5.20 at Costco for 91* in the TSX. That's a 50 cent drop from the last Costco fill-up. 87* was a paltry $4.90! My PG&E gas and electricity bill was -$65 last month.

Interesting times ahead. The consumer benefits from choice and industry competition.

Last edited:
I can tell you this; I was overjoyed to pay $5.20 at Costco for 91* in the TSX. That's a 50 cent drop from the last Costco fill-up. 87* was a paltry $4.90! My PG&E gas and electricity bill was -$65 last month.
Your in an exceptionally unique situation. You live in the state with the highest gas prices, and have solar on your roof that your utility pays above market prices for. In your situation I would be happy to drive a EV as well.

I filled my tank for $2.99/gal today.

Your in an exceptionally unique situation. You live in the state with the highest gas prices, and have solar on your roof that your utility pays above market prices for. In your situation I would be happy to drive a EV as well.

I filled my tank for $2.99/gal today.
That’s still twice the cost of charging my Tesla at home if the gas car gets 35mpg.

The sun fills our Model 3 for free. The EV serves to help maximize the return on the solar project investment.

Regardless, the TSX has been a great vehicle. Love it, $70+ fill ups and all.
1716232075134.jpg

That’s still twice the cost of charging my Tesla at home if the gas car gets 35mpg.
Comparing what to what. A model 3 is the size of a Toyota Corolla which gets 36MPG mixed. It’s half the price up front. Your ROI on that trade is likely 20 years dependent on your electricity rate. I actually did the math on a model three verses, my wife’s RAV4 and the ROI was like a decade, not even counting the time value of money or cost to install an outlet.

Not saying don’t buy a model three. Feel free. But the math seldom works if you’re trying to justify that for the purchase. There are exceptions, like Jeff for example.

Someone backed into my parents ID.4 in El Paso when they were on their way back from Las Vegas. They were at Electrify America and had gone inside to the Walmart that the EA charging point was in the parking lot of. Big dent in the liftgate and one of the tail light lenses smashed.

Was it on purpose? I guess we'll never know, but it seems suspicious given the rash of incidents.

Back