Elderly driving, taking away their keys.

my dad voluntarily gave up his license ..he knew he couldn't drive in a safe manner don't see that happen much

my dad voluntarily gave up his license ..he knew he couldn't drive in a safe manner don't see that happen much
Same - after a lifetime clean record he had a couple near misses and then started asking folks to take him places.
We also started shopping for him …

I'm not going into any more detail about the decision.

It's the right thing to do, I feel bad, not guilty.
You know the person better than any of us and by that fact you are most qualified to make the proper decision. My only question that I would want to know for sure is whether it was caused by a mistake or true decline of motor function/cognitive ability. I am probably one of the youngest on here and have been guilty of missing a red light that I looked right at and "didn't see" or other similar issues. The only serious wreck I have ever been in I T-boned a lady that pulled out in front of me. I know she looked, she literally looked right at me before she pulled out. She also stated that she just didn't see me.

My ex-mother-in-law backed into a closed garage door on two occasions. She fell down and spent time in a hospital. My son would not ride with her as she couldn't stay in her own lane. Ex-wife did not intervene. MIL (not wearing a seatbelt) turned left in front of a 3/4 ton truck traveling about 45 MPH. MIL was in a coma about 10 days and then it was decided to unplug life support. Other driver was not injured.

My grandfather had to give up driving when he was 90. He was on oxygen and when his pulse ox dropped below 85, it was like he was drunk. He agreed to stop driving his car. I received a call one day from a Trooper, he hit the trooper's car.. From that point on we had to take his car keys with us. Sucks, that was his mental downfall that led to severe end of life depression.

It has become exceedingly obvious that my mother should not pilot a vehicle anymore.

She's always been a car person.

Wants to go out 3 or more times a day, even when there is no reason to go out, just to get out of the house.

I told her she could no longer drive, and she ignored me.

Angered at being dismissed, I told her the state was revoking her driver's license,( untrue, as of yet) and this was like a slap across her face.

She's crushed, laying in bed sobbing.

This is Not a good feeling.
Run the battery dead.

It's tough. Nothing easy. Some realize they should give up driving. But others keep on driving.

Certainly try and get her to take a test to see if they are impaired. Doctor should help tell her the results.

My mother told me it was hard driving around Christmas as she could not tell traffic lights from Christmas lights.

Lots of stories of old people driving into post offices in Florida.

It sucks when the roles reverse. I was the primary support for my stepfather who lived 70 miles away. He started passing out monthly. His doctor said he could not drive with his medical condition, but he saw it differently. My mom had passed and he thought he could drive up the street to the restuarant. My cousin had grandchildren two houses down from him and she expressed her concerns. So it was up to me to get him to stop driving. The sheriff told me what forms were needed from DMV and a doctor needed to examine him. After paperwork was sent in he received a letter from the State saying he could no longer drive and he had to turn in his license. It was not easy for both of us. It was a sad day.

I hope my son will make sure I don't drive anymore should I be mentally too incompetent to realize it's time to hang up the saddle voluntarily, I'll give him a written note that he can show me when the times comes. I'm not sure how I feel about anybody taking my surfboard, though.

It has become exceedingly obvious that my mother should not pilot a vehicle anymore.

She's always been a car person.

Wants to go out 3 or more times a day, even when there is no reason to go out, just to get out of the house.

I told her she could no longer drive, and she ignored me.

Angered at being dismissed, I told her the state was revoking her driver's license,( untrue, as of yet) and this was like a slap across her face.

She's crushed, laying in bed sobbing.

This is Not a good feeling.
I don't think anyone is questioning the judgment on her driving.

But the way you handled it? Well...

That was not a good approach.

You're angered at being dismissed?

You should be ashamed of lying, then pressuring, when the situation called for calm discussion and some compassion on what you were trying to say: "Mom, it's time to give up your freedom".

I'm not going into any more detail about the decision.

It's the right thing to do, I feel bad, not guilty.

If there comes a day when I can't handle a vehicle any more, I would hope that my children show a bit more tact, a bit more diplomacy in bringing up the topic.

I had to take my dad's keys when he started showing signs of Alzheimer's.
Yes same with my grandmother, the defining moment was when we got a phone call that she was arrested under suspicion of DUI in a city 100 miles away. She was going to the grocery store 1/2 mile away and got lost. We sold her car the next day. Now my aunt is exhibiting the same symptoms, but shes is in Il and I'm in TX, and I promised her I would put her in a retirement home so I have one or two years left before a major life change.

I don't think anyone is questioning the judgment on her driving.

But the way you handled it? Well...

That was not a good approach.

You're angered at being dismissed?

You should be ashamed of lying, then pressuring, when the situation called for calm discussion and some compassion on what you were trying to say: "Mom, it's time to give up your freedom".

If there comes a day when I can't handle a vehicle any more, I would hope that my children show a bit more tact, a bit more diplomacy in bringing up the topic.
Like I stated, losing my gf's ability to drive crushed his soul and was his last feeling of real independence that he had. His demeanor changed after that, he lost his last feeling of independence and got dark after that.

FYI Folks.

I can't add this to my original post but I forgot to add that many states allow the DMV re-test a driver at the request of a family member or medical professional. This is what my mother did. Going this route takes the heat off family members because the freedom to drive is as American as apple pie and we don't like loosing our freedoms at any age.

Example

Tough getting old. They take your car, then your money and put you in a home for your own good.............

My uncle had to disable his father's Oldsmobile when he was unsafe to drive.

Then his father (my grandfather) asked one of my cousins to look at his car and figure out why it would not start. When my cousin figured out that the rotor was missing from the distributor of the car, he was smart enough to not fix it. And he asked around and my uncle told him about how bad our grandfather was driving and told him to tell everyone to not fix that car.

My grandfather only had one working eye. He had lost one many years ago when battery acid dripped down on him while he was working under a car. His eye had got sooooo bad that my grandmother had to tell him when to turn for him to be able to drive. That combined with how slow he had to drive was why my uncle had to put an end to his driving.

Knowing how much I value my freedom; I will probably get 10 sets of keys made so if anyone takes a set away. :)) I probable will only let the state take away mine.
Yeah, there's more kids born everyday, and you'll only have a few selfish years left to run down a few... Good planning! :)

Back