Educate me about torque...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torque is not simply force, it's force x distance of lever arm, so it's twisting effort.
Horsepower is not simply work, it's work (or energy) divided by time. Horsepower is an odd and irrelevant term to use nowadays, since it's really just Torque x RPM (x a unit conversion).
The poor critic isn't going to get very far if his units at least don't come out right.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Torque is not simply force, it's force x distance of lever arm, so it's twisting effort.
Horsepower is not simply work, it's work (or energy) divided by time. Horsepower is an odd and irrelevant term to use nowadays, since it's really just Torque x RPM (x a unit conversion)...

As was mentioned above, torque is a twisting force, and horsepower is a measure of work done in a time frame. The two CAN be related but each can also exist without the other.

I already mentioned the steam engine exerting torque without developing any horsepower.

It is also possible to develop horsepower with zero torque. A hydraulic cylinder, for example, or a steam catapult on an aircraft carrier (those things develop LOTS of horsepower
shocked.gif
)

When Mr. Watt developed a marketable steam engine, he had a fundamental problem; no market
pat.gif

He needed a way to relate to potential customers what his marvelous gadget could accomplish, so he conducted some tests and detirmined how much an average work horse could pull on a STEADY pull for long periods of time. This value was set at 550 lb/ft per second (note that this was a linear value, not rotational) and the Horsepower unit of measuring work accomplished in a time frame was born.

The use of a Prony Brake allowed a measurement of power on a rotating engine, the rest of course, is history
cool.gif

Joe

Come on, Critic!! We're waiting
nono.gif

What scheme are you cooking up for some authoritative presentation somewhere else?

You need a future career in PR ...perhaps acting
wink.gif

"I think that we really need to define "totally destroyed" before we can comment."
grin.gif

tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Maybe look at the brochure for the car. Many publish it there.

Also google dyno and your car make. If there are many fans of it they dyno it stock and after modified giving you the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back