Ed's Red component questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone wanted to mix up a batch of Ed's Red (sans acetone), would there be any problem in substituting Power Steering Fluid for the ATF called for in the recipe ?

Also, is there much of a difference between *odorless* mineral spirits vs. "regular" mineral spirits or stoddard solvent ?

TIA

Odorless was to keep your hands from smelling. =-)

ATF was EDs pick, don't recall if he condoned substituting other oils. However, gut reaction says PS fluid should be an acceptable substitute.
(Okay, who else reading this was on Fido firearms group that Ed was a regular of? Makes me feel like digging my Amiga out and going over some of the old archives from the day.)

Alex.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://yarchive.net/gun/eds_red.html

I *already know* what the original "recipe" is ...

How does posting a link to those ingredients actually answer any of the questions asked ?

:/

Originally Posted By: Winn
I *already know* what the original "recipe" is ...

How does posting a link to those ingredients actually answer any of the questions asked ?

:/

Originally Posted By: Winn
Also, is there much of a difference between *odorless* mineral spirits vs. "regular" mineral spirits or stoddard solvent ?

As per the link

Quote:
Cheaper and safer is
aliphatic mineral spirits, which is a petroleum based "safety solvent" used for thinning oil based paints and as automotive parts cleaner. It is commonly sold under the names "odorless mineral spirits", "Stoddard Solvent" or "Varsol".

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, more civility please.

One of Winn's out of line responses and follow ons to it, innocent or not are in quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back