EDGE AND VERY COLD WEATHER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Back in the 90's I was using 10W30 dino in -40F weather without any block heaters and without any proplems in my Dodge van. Truck was still running goood at 250K when I sold it.

I think your Mobil 1 5W30 is fine...

Wow, a modern 10W-30 (like PYB) would have a pour point closer to -30 F! That poor Dodge must have sputtered quiet a bit for at least a few minutes every time you started it like that. I don't think I would have the heart to watch that...

Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan

Wow, a modern 10W-30 (like PYB) would have a pour point closer to -30 F! That poor Dodge must have sputtered quiet a bit for at least a few minutes every time you started it like that. I don't think I would have the heart to watch that...

I don't recall it sputtering. It was a 10 year old van with a carburated 6 cyl. My buddies Ford F150 with Fuel injection did not start on thoses days. 10W30 was what everyone used. It was considered a "year round" oil and recommemded in the manual. I don't think I even heard of 5W30 until 1992 or so. If you have never been in -40 temps, it is really like going to another planet...

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Wow -20 there already? I wonder what type of oil filter you are using. My guess is maybe your filter has a high bypass setting and this Edge is pretty thick and so the filter is causing a pressure drop.

Sounds like maybe you need a thinner brand and 0W30 where you are.

It may be the filter bypass setting not letting enough oil flow by. If the pressure gauge sensor is downstream it would see lower volume moving by. Otherwise cold oil will be resisting flow giving high pressure readings. Pressure = resistance to flow.

This is what I meant and I agree. The oil pressure gauge is normally past the oil filter and is what the rest of the engine "sees". The bypass is not going to crack open even until there is a pressure differential of 7-11 psi or so across the oil filter, which there very well could be with thick oil in a cold start. Basically the oil filter bypass is only going to bypass above its set point so there can always be the potential for a pressure drop up to that set point depending on how much pressure drop is across the filter. I didn't realize when I first posted that his application was GM with the bypass on the engine, but it really doesn't change anything.

Last edited:
How cold is the average winter morning? Going to a 0w-30 isnt going to be a huge jump from 5w-30, but it will do better. Im thinking redline 0w-30 has a pour point around -57 f.

Sorry to hear about the temps, hang in there. Where are you moving when you come up for parole?

0-30 would be a good choice but i also got to worry about hay loads this time a year i need to be able to pul 10-15000 lbs and not have the oil shear to nothing. the closest place to find german castrol is at least three hours away.

Average temps are anywhere from 25 to a -40, just depends on what kind of front moves in.

I have idled as long as 30 minutes before, but there was a lot of snow followed by alot of wind and cold. so im sure there is fuel dillution but i tend to run the engine hot enough to burn alot of it off

If you're worried about shearing, consider Mobil 1 0W-40 or SynPower 5W-40. These oils are really tough and should have you covered on both ends.

At -40 I'd be more worried about freezing in the gas line or the radiator though.

Last edited:
Gas lines aint no worry, i burn through 34 gallons rather quickly, about once a week or so i fill up so water in the tank really not an issue, i do run heat every now and then but our gas is also 10% ethanol in the winter.

coolant i mix to be good to about -60 or so maybe -55 if need, and it has to be really needed i plug in the block heater, but i have only plugged the block heater in one time and that was on my power stroke and that was cuz it was gonna sit for a couple days while i was away on a trip.

And for the 5-40 synpower or 0-40 mobil, where do you get it, we dont get those weights here, just the basics from 5-20 to 20-50 we do have 0-30 mobil AFE but thats about it here

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pcfxer
You idle for ten minutes? Got fuel dilution?

Everyone says idling causes fuel dilution but I don't understand how. Why does idling your engine dump fuel into your oil? How do OTR truck engines survive the winter idling through the night all the time?

I think they are basing the diluted fuel from idling on a few generalizations like the oil will warm up slower, idle might be a little richer relatively during warm up as opposed to at cruise. Probably not much of an issue on FI engines but excessive idling might not get the oil hot enough to fully get most all fuel and moisture to vaporize out of the oil.

Idling can cause fuel dilution from the rich fuel mixture from the cold engine ( This is the nature of it, on start up the engine starts with a richer mix, even carb engines) the cold engine does not burn all of the fuel mixture which goes past the rings and into the oil... It's even worse on a diesel engine as the combustion is so efficient, so little heat is produced at idle that it compounds the issue, which is why many diesel engines now have a high idle which will set the RPM around 800-1000 rpm ( I think that's correct)

Just idling warm isn't so bad. It just leaves your odometer clueless on how much usage is on the oil. WARMING an engine idling is the most assured way of taking the longest time to exit the fuel enrichment portion of the warming process. Load generates much more heat.

The reason for that is that in the old days of carborators alot used to get passed the rings. hints blowby. now adays engines are so tight and with fuel injection the fuel burns very completly and the blowby gases dont carry as much contaminants, from fuel that is.

really if you get the motor hot enough, say highway miles for 15-30 miles it all burns off, well most of it, the 8.1 cylinders allow a little more by, which is why it burns oil.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Hello,

Got Edge 5-30 in the oil pan right now. This morning woke up to -20f. Started the truck, ten minutes later the oil pressure was still at 45 psi, barely even came up until after almost a mile down the road. Usually at idle i get 60psi at idle. EDGE gets vary thick at these temps, i had to add a quart to the truck and it filled the oil fill tube as i was still pouring it out of the bottle. JUST LETTING YA'LL KNOW THINGS I HAVE FOUND
-20 is way colder than my freezer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back