EDGE AND VERY COLD WEATHER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Got Edge 5-30 in the oil pan right now. This morning woke up to -20f. Started the truck, ten minutes later the oil pressure was still at 45 psi, barely even came up until after almost a mile down the road. Usually at idle i get 60psi at idle. EDGE gets vary thick at these temps, i had to add a quart to the truck and it filled the oil fill tube as i was still pouring it out of the bottle. JUST LETTING YA'LL KNOW THINGS I HAVE FOUND

Wow -20 there already? I wonder what type of oil filter you are using. My guess is maybe your filter has a high bypass setting and this Edge is pretty thick and so the filter is causing a pressure drop.

Sounds like maybe you need a thinner brand and 0W30 where you are.

um.. where are you measuring oil pressure at?

and why would oil pressure be higher when its warmer?

Sorry i just realized that my signature is 10-30 i am running 5-30.

I am comparing it to Mobil 1 and valvoline, both 5-30 and both in temps very close maybe a degree or two diff. Mobil 1 has flowed better i found.

I am running a PF454 AC Delco filter.

Oil pressure lower cuz it is not moving through the motor very easily, i usually see this issue during colder temps and big rigs. its higher at initial startup, when warmer, but it was so cold that after ten minutes the heater was barely putting out heat and the pressure was still low.

i think i may try a 0-30 next, not quit sure yet

Originally Posted By: Petrou

Why not sure yet? You seem like a perfect candidate for 0W-30! It will save your engine from cold start wear in the long term. -20 ambient without windchill pushes 5W-30 very close to its limits.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Wow -20 there already? I wonder what type of oil filter you are using. My guess is maybe your filter has a high bypass setting and this Edge is pretty thick and so the filter is causing a pressure drop.

It may be the filter bypass setting not letting enough oil flow by. If the pressure gauge sensor is downstream it would see lower volume moving by. Otherwise cold oil will be resisting flow giving high pressure readings. Pressure = resistance to flow.

I have started my truck a 2002 Silverado in -45 temps here in Alaska with an unheated oil pan with Mobil 1 5-30 though the engine has a block heater. I use Baldwin oil filters only. I am thinking of adding a small heat pad to the oil pan anyway just to be safe.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

It may be the filter bypass setting not letting enough oil flow by. If the pressure gauge sensor is downstream it would see lower volume moving by. Otherwise cold oil will be resisting flow giving high pressure readings. Pressure = resistance to flow.

That was my thinking. A pan heater will certainly help!

Originally Posted By: Silverado6x6
I have started my truck a 2002 Silverado in -45 temps here in Alaska with an unheated oil pan with Mobil 1 5-30 though the engine has a block heater. I use Baldwin oil filters only. I am thinking of adding a small heat pad to the oil pan anyway just to be safe.

I could not imagine that. I would have to move

Back in the 90's I was using 10W30 dino in -40F weather without any block heaters and without any proplems in my Dodge van. Truck was still running goood at 250K when I sold it.

I think your Mobil 1 5W30 is fine...

As long as there IS oil pressure...
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Sorry i just realized that my signature is 10-30 i am running 5-30.

I am comparing it to Mobil 1 and valvoline, both 5-30 and both in temps very close maybe a degree or two diff. Mobil 1 has flowed better i found.

I am running a PF454 AC Delco filter.

Oil pressure lower cuz it is not moving through the motor very easily, i usually see this issue during colder temps and big rigs. its higher at initial startup, when warmer, but it was so cold that after ten minutes the heater was barely putting out heat and the pressure was still low.

Were you driving for 10 minutes or idling for 10 minutes? I find idling in very cold weather almost useless for actually warming up the engine, and especially with the thermoclutch fan on my Tracker. It always spins a bit pulling air around the engine. I assume your truck also has a thermoclutch fan?
Anyways, block heater plugged in or not, I get in it and drive and go somewhere while warming the engine quicker.

I can see not having good flow, but your pressure should be high.
Maybe it's the gauge or it's location in the system at those low temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back