Ecore AC vs Valuecraft vs Old AC w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can tell, the new Ecore version of the AC Delco PF53 ($4) is identical to the Valucraft V3614 ($2).
The new Ecore filter media is different from the old AC Delco PF53 media, in form, thickness, and number of pleats. Pleat depth is about the same.
These three filters were disassembled and compared as shown (hopefully) in the following images. I have no idea if the observations listed here are signifigant to filter performance.

-

Here from left to right, disassembled, are the Old AC PF53, the new AC PF53 (Ecore), and the Valucraft V3614 (Ecore).

-

The clearance between the metal end caps and the casing of the old style AC is about 0.080" all around.
The clearance between the fiber end disks and the casing of the new Ecore design averages about 0.04" all around. The numbers and letters are my markings. The numbers 43 and 74 are the number of pleats counted in each filter.

-

Approximate thickness of the old style AC PF53 filter media is around 0.013" and is ribbed or corrugated.

-

Approximate thickness of the new Ecore AC PF53 filter media is around 0.018" and is mostly flat.

-

Approximate thickness of the Ecore Valucraft filter media is around 0.018" and appears identical to the AC.

-

The Ecore filter media seems to be only adheared on edge to the fiber end disks. The flexible end disks are relatively easy to peal away from the media by hand.

-

For comparison, a Fram of a different size is shown here with approx 1/16" deep fillet of potting sealing the filter media to the fiber end disks.
 -

For comparison the bond on this Fram is somewhat stronger than the end seal of the Ecore, but can still be torn away by hand. The potting in the old style AC Delco, with metal end caps, could not be torn by hand.
By the way, Champion FAXed me their data sheet on Ecore listing the single and multi pass efficiency.
Single pass 10-20 micron (SAE HS-806) = 96%
Multiple pass 20 micron (SAE J1858) = 94%
Champion's name for the filter media for both tests is "9668".
Again, I have no idea if the observations listed here are signifigant to filter performance. Just sharing observations.

Eric -
I have the same Valucraft filter, (V3614) sitting here on my desk right now along side an STP S3614. What I'm going to do is change the oil in my daughter's car using the STP filter, (probably this weekend). Run it 3,000 miles, then change both oil and filter using the valucraft. Then cut both filters apart and see what they look like inside. Thanks for the pics and info!
Glenn

Great stuff. Thanks!

The adhesion of the endcaps on the E-core worries me. Other than that I see no problems with the design.

Because of the end cap issue, I don't think I'll be using any E-cores.

The new filters look like they have a lot more of a thicker media. We don't put filters on the engine for end caps. A thicker, better filtering media, and more of it too. I can't believe this. Since the pressure pushes the end cap on, the ease of pull it off, isn't that important. The VC looks as good as the AC. The Ecore looks like a big step forward to me.

I can't believe this. If this was a $10 Mann filter, everybody would be raving about how great it is.

Considering lubeowner has cut open multiple E-core filters he has yet to comment on the end cap not being in position when he's evaluated the E-core filter.

He found one filter where one pleat was not secured properly but no problems with the end caps.

"one pleat was not secured properly but no problems with the end caps"

That's the problem...if they are NOT SECURED PROPERLY oil WIll be going through there.
It may not be a catastophic event, but if that joint is not LOCKED UP oil pressure will force oil through that loose joint...just a place for some bypassing is what I'm saying..

I am not so thrilled by these ecores at the moment. You don't have to make excuses for them ...yet..we are still checking them out

I'm not making excuse..I posted the facts.

There are those worried about the endcap not being secured. From the pics posted, no end cap has had a problem. It has done what it is designed to do. Further it enhaces the filtration efficiency because it also filters. And that is part of the design. Metal end caps can't do that.

However..champ will never know about the pleat problem if Lubeowner never tells them or sends them the pics. Will they? And if he ever finds another example he should send them the second one as well.

Like I mentioned before i've seen one filter with no threads and heard of another one in 18 years there. That's not supposed to happen. It does with other companies and I know because i've seen it when i've called on distibutors who have a stockplie of filters with no gaskets, no threads, or whatever that they couldn't use and were waiting for the factory filter rep to write them a credit.

My main credit writing exercise was to write one for dented filters in shipment which we weren't supposed to do. So I got "creative" in other ways.

There's been lots of comments about the potential problems at the endcap/media joint. The general consensus is that the pressure is pushing it "on", rather than "off" so-to-speak, so a maybe not-so-good union is ok because the pressure is still pushing it "on"...
Remember the high pressure side is over the entire ouside portion/area of that cartridge- pleats and endcaps both, if it finds a weak spot it will take it..no questions asked. If that joint is strong it will find some other weaker spot..which we all hope is the entire media surface. Pressure is a pretty basic driving force, it doesn't care how it gets there, it just gets there..

If these e-core endcaps are not secured any better than they seem to be, I consider them a serious point of contention. I like the puddle of glue material in the metal formed endcaps MUCH better...would additionally seal any irregularities in the edgeline of that media..

Originally Posted By: novadude
Great stuff. Thanks!

The adhesion of the endcaps on the E-core worries me. Other than that I see no problems with the design.

Because of the end cap issue, I don't think I'll be using any E-cores.

+1

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
Is there some reason you resurrected a 10 year old thread?

Does resurrecting old threads upset you?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Just wondering why. Does answering simple questions upset you?

No. But it does make it look like you're assuming authority.

No. But it does make it look like you're assuming authority.

And that upsets you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back