EcoPower motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I was in a WM in the Ottawa Valley, and they had this oil in 5L jugs on the shelf.

It was more than the ST stuff, and is the exact same oil, AFAIK!

Gotta love the power of a label......

Safety-Kleen is a big recycler of used motor oil and other fluids. It is much easier to make motor oil from old motor oil (which is almost entirely lubricant base stock) than from crude oil which is mostly not base stock.

After the refining process is done, they put in an additive package and some synthetic base stocks, and hence it is a synthetic blend. It meets API-SM and is thereofre interchangable with any other SM oil.

BTW: All the major oil companies do the same thing since recycled base stock is cheaper than virgin base stock, and perhaps slightly better due to the addition of synthetic base stocks to it over time.

I would try it if it was a little less expensive. I'm finding that a lot with eco friendly products, I don't mind doing my part saving the planet but I have to save my money at the same time.

I've got an oilpan of the 5w20 EcoPower oil in my 210,000+ mile 94 Civic LX. It was only $17 bucks for a 5 liter jug, the plain SuperTech oil was a bit over $13 for a 4.4 liter jug so not too much of a price difference. So far, about 3000 kms since it was put in, the car has only used less than a half quart of oil, but I did slightly overfill it when I changed it.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I cant find any information there

It's a private blog that you have to join. Just click on the links to DMW blog. The 1st 30 days is a trial period where you are not obligated for anything (except a non-disclosure agreement). Then it is $100 annually that includes a free Dyson Analysis Premium test.

That's simply awesome, can't wait til it's available in my area. really love that they kept the price low. 40% less energy doesn't necessarily mean it's 40% cheaper to produce.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
There has been a lot of testing of this oil over on Dyson Analysis DMW. It is definitely worth a look

I am coming up on 3K miles on my car, and will be changing to EcoPower 10W30. I'll use that from 3K-6K and 6K-10K to finish my break in before switching to LE 8130 at 10K for 5K mile runs.

Originally Posted By: CougarRed
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
There has been a lot of testing of this oil over on Dyson Analysis DMW. It is definitely worth a look

I am coming up on 3K miles on my car, and will be changing to EcoPower 10W30. I'll use that from 3K-6K and 6K-10K to finish my break in before switching to LE 8130 at 10K for 5K mile runs.

That's an excellent plan CougerRed. I don't think I could come up with a better one.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
A good point would maybe be, if it only takes 40% the energy to make, how come it dont cost 40% the cost of regular oil.

Because price and cost aren't necessarily related in the least.

For example, a cup of Coke at a ball game is something like $5. The actual price that the vendor pays for the Coke syrup, CO2, water, cup lid and straw is probably somewhere under 5 cents. Yet they sell it at a 100% markup solely because they can.

I suspect that motor oils follow a similar pattern; they went up drastically in price due to the oil price increase a few years back, yet haven't dropped in price now that oil has decreased in price. They're just charging us more because we can. Price is more of a marketing function than anything else- it affects product placement, branding, etc...

Honestly, from a business perspective, it's interesting to see how they're marketing and pricing motor oil; the holy grail would be to differentiate themselves from the vast run of SM/SN oils and thereby decommoditize (is that a word?). The problem is that with the presence of standards such as SN, GF-5, Dexos-1, etc... it makes oils fungible within a category, and when they're fungible, people buy based on price. Like people have said around here, any SM rated oil will do the job for 5000-6000 miles (so why spend more money?).

The marketers have an uphill battle- they can't really quote HT/HS specs or other objective measures, because they're somewhat open to interpretation, and also tend to paint their oils into a corner when compared to vague claims like 'Protects in ways other oils can't." or "Like liquid ball bearings".

I would LOVE to use this oil, but apparently no one sells it within 50 miles of me, and the only places i'm seeing within a 100 miles or so, look to be quickie-lube type shops!
not finding it for sale online either!!

ack!

shouldn't surprise me terribly i guess, to my knowledge there isn't an E-85, or Bio-diesel Pump within 50 miles either...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back