Ecogard vs Toyota (A25A-FXE engine)

The Toyota dealership service advisor advised at the 20k service to replace the air filter... due to SoCal wildfires, along with the construction dust on the I-405 construction areas. Rockauto is out of stock on the Denso FTF filters

8b5a98f3-90bf-49e5-95db-548f21678b13-jpeg.383214

31355370-aff6-46f7-8d11-c8988a996d6f-jpeg.383212

cd1a4d9e-871c-4916-b4d1-f13e54813ff8-jpeg.383216

fe8523df-7858-4374-bee6-2cc30db82b7f-jpeg.383215

661b0523-9fce-4402-b276-0c46eedfb1ac-jpeg.383213

How did you determine that?
No check engine light, like for a P0171.

Since VW had a TSB for it on my Passat, for the overly complicated engine cover/air filter housing, where people, including dealership techs were not putting the cover on the airbox properly, causing an air leak, leading to a P0171 code.

How did you determine that?
One way to verify the sealing quality is to put a super thin layer of grease on the rubber seal, install the filter, then remove it and look to see if the grease transferred a print to the whole circumference sealing area of the air box halves.

... How much difference do you expect to find from one filter media to another?
You're the one who claimed "the filter material is nearly identical." I don't have technical capability find the differences. Have you tested the material's performance, or had it tested, or do you have inside knowledge that it's the same grade from the same media manufacturer? Otherwise, how do you know it's functionally "nearly identical"? Being the about the same color doesn't count for much.

One way to verify the sealing quality is to put a super thin layer of grease on the rubber seal, install the filter, then remove it and look to see if the grease transferred a print to the whole circumference sealing area of the air box halves.
And if the grease is incompatible with the seal material, causing it to degrade?

Any plans to add a restriction guage. Don't cost much and I doubt they'd complain if you put one in. That'll tell you when you need a filter.

And if the grease is incompatible with the seal material, causing it to degrade?
You can actually buy grease that is meant for air filter seals. Or use some silicone based grease. Besides, just wipe it off and clean the seal with some IPA afterwords. Only need a super thin film to do the seal contact test.

You're the one who claimed "the filter material is nearly identical." I don't have technical capability find the differences. Have you tested the material's performance, or had it tested, or do you have inside knowledge that it's the same grade from the same media manufacturer? Otherwise, how do you know it's functionally "nearly identical"? Being the about the same color doesn't count for much.
Let's be fairly intelligent individuals here.. from one paper oe equivalent replacement filter to the next you're not going to find any fancy stuff in the media. And I'm not referring to a fram dirt hog or whatever marketing fram used at the time.

Let's be fairly intelligent individuals here.. from one paper oe equivalent replacement filter to the next you're not going to find any fancy stuff in the media. And I'm not referring to a fram dirt hog or whatever marketing fram used at the time.
Do you know that the Denso filters are paper and that they are similar to aftermarket filters?

FWIW, I once saw a test of several brands of air filters. They were tested for flow, for their ability to capture dirt, and for restriction. There were substantial differences between the filters.

So what causes all the Si we see in reports ? Just a question.

BTW I would have only replaced the OP air filter with a factory air filter, at a later date...JMO.

So what causes all the Si we see in reports ? Just a question.
One source can be an inefficient air filter and/or leaking intake system.

"Efficient air filters remove 99% of the dust that an engine ingests. The remaining 1 % consists of very small dust particles that pass through the air filter. These vary between submicron size particles to particles up to well over 10 microns in size. This dust will pass between piston, rings and cylinder and eventually become suspended in the lubricating oil."

"As soon as a dust entry problem occurs there is an increase in the silicon level of the oil and an acceleration of the wear pattern. As long as the oil samples are being taken at regular intervals in the correct manner, the dust entry will be detected at a very early stage."

This talks about other possible sources, which could make it hard to track down the exact source unless there are other indicators like wear metals or coolant detected in the oil too.

One source can be an inefficient air filter and/or leaking intake system.

"Efficient air filters remove 99% of the dust that an engine ingests. The remaining 1 % consists of very small dust particles that pass through the air filter. These vary between submicron size particles to particles up to well over 10 microns in size. This dust will pass between piston, rings and cylinder and eventually become suspended in the lubricating oil."

"As soon as a dust entry problem occurs there is an increase in the silicon level of the oil and an acceleration of the wear pattern. As long as the oil samples are being taken at regular intervals in the correct manner, the dust entry will be detected at a very early stage."

This talks about other possible sources, which could make it hard to track down the exact source unless there are other indicators like wear metals or coolant detected in the oil too.

Thank you. That's a good read. It would seem that in a newer vehicle, such as with the OP, a perfect fit air filter is important.

The compressible foam gasket is more forgiving to get a tight seal.

If it was a hard plastic frame air filter with a small rubber gasket, then a perfect fit air filter is critical.

like one of these:

a8d226b7-d12b-46c6-acb0-33bd4382bce3_1.000f3350b477fc295002a900e81ead66.jpeg

And the M20A air filter is also the same filter as the A25A

Back