Echo SRM 225 vs Echo 40V battery powered trimmer

Ive owned 2 SRM-225s and they were the best weed eaters I ever owned. Highly recommend them. I wanted to get a new one for my new place. I have a much larger yard near Little Rock Arkansas. I've noticed the grass doesn't grow very fast here compared to northern Illinois, and only needs to be mowed 5-6 times per year. Now mixing 2 stroke oil is one of my favorite garage things to do, but I figured it would take a very long time to get through a gallon of fuel. The ambient temperature is around 85-90F here and very humid. So I only spend 30-45 minutes outside between breaks. I'm not concerned about battery life.

Now I really like the 17in swath of the gas trimmer and the battery one is 16in, will I notice a difference? And how long does an oil/fuel mixture last in a hot and humid climate in a gas can? These are contributing factors for me trying out a battery powered one.

Are you talking about the 58V Echo trimmer? I can't find a 40V version.

Anyway, I bought my mother one of the 58V's last year. She's in her 60s and still going strong, but I figured going battery would make things a little simpler for her (no more gas/oil mixing). The power of the trimmer is great. Just as powerful as the FS45 she had before. The battery lasts about 20 minutes, which isn't enough for her, but she deals with it. A higher capacity battery is available.

I bought the trimmer at Home Depot and the first one died within 90 days. I took it back and HD swapped it for a new one no questions asked. The second one had a little hiccup where it didn't want to work one day, but magically corrected itself and has been working fine ever since. I think Echo warranties them for 5 years, so it will be covered if something breaks, but we'll have to deal with a dealer/service center from now on.

I'd recommend giving it a try!

If you remain with the 225, You can use the canned premix in it when your in LR. Its small enough, and basically doesn't go bad. It is the only thing that's ever been in my 225 and after 8 years I have done nothing to the 225, except string replacement. Starts easy every time. I live right near Little Rock.

I have both the SRM-225 and the second generation 58V Echo trimmer. While I like both trimmers, my 58V Echo trimmer is my go to trimmer. I have a little over 1000’ of fencing and I can just about do all of it on one 2ah battery.

One note about battery storage. My first Echo battery failed because I had left it out in an unheated garage over a winter. One call to Echo and I got a new battery in the mail, their warranty and service is excellent. They did inform me that I should store the new battery in an area that stays above 40 degrees for future winters.

Back