ECGS Gear Oil Recommendation

Got the rear differential replaced on my 2002 4Runner today. I was a little surprised in East Coast Gear Supply’s instructions.

They say to use Lucas 85W-140 non synthetic gear oil. For break in and after break in.

I was surprised by the “140” and the non synthetic.

The literature they gave me they acknowledged only 2 other gear oils as being as good as Lucas. Amsoil and Red Line. But their much higher price makes them not really worth it.

I asked about cars and they had no comment.

Interesting 🧐

They rebuilt the rear of an avalanche I had. Same thing. Lucas. After I drove from Raleigh to Greensboro, I dumped it and used severe gear.
They are a good shop but they have some business contact with/pushing Lucas.

Dubious that there’s anything wrong with running Lucas to break it in. The 140 is an interesting pick, I suspect it’s to minimize warranty/callbacks due to perceived noise.

haha, it's all about the "cling" ratio. They must be good at building/rebuilding axles and selling components but I don't think they've ever formulated a lubricant or spent much time in a research lab.

Here's the recommendation straight from their web page. Using terms such as "dino" just exudes ignorance of the topic and a general lack of education altogether:

1668593532980.jpg

Rea
They rebuilt the rear of an avalanche I had. Same thing. Lucas. After I drove from Raleigh to Greensboro, I dumped it and used severe gear.
They are a good shop but they have some business contact with/pushing Lucas.
Which Severe Gear did you use?

What they think means nothing

I'd use whatever 75w140 synthetic is available locally. If you want to spend more for bragging rights, any of the 'boutique' oils can be ordered online too.

If you can find Castrol, Mobil1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, SuperTech, Fram, .... 75w140's, then use 'em.

I always use 85W-140 to break in gears--it's cheap, you'll dump it in 500 miles, it does the job, and since I do more than one 500 mile OCI it does not make sense to use synthetic.

ECGS is my go to for gears. Great prices and service. Will is the man at ECGS.

Last edited:
Back