Amsoil vs Motorcraft gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2017 4WD 2.3 EB Explorer. We intend to keep it 10+ years as we do all our vehicles. The PTU, Ford's new style transfer case, requires synthetic 75W-140 gear oil and the RDU, rear differential specs 80W-90 non synthetic gear oil. Both are Motorcraft gear oils and both are "Life Time" fills supposedly. From what I've seen the PTU can turn the Motorcraft synthetic 75W-140 into black cake in as little as 30,000 miles or less rendering the PTU unit useless and broken. For long term life I've always changed the rear diff in the past, at least by 30,000 miles with synthetic gear oil. I'm wondering whether Amsoil's Severe Gear 75W-140 for the PTU and 75w-90 gear oil would be more beneficial than the Motorcraft gear oils spec'd. For the rear diff I can use Amsoil 80W-90 synthetic gear oil also if the Severe Gear 75W-90 is not appropriate. Thanks!

Whimsey

Heat and low oil capacity of the PTU really thrashes the oil.

I would recommend the Amsoil SG 75W140 for the PTU and the SG 75W90 for the rear differential.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I would recommend the Amsoil SG 75W140 for the PTU and the SG 75W90 for the rear differential.

Thanks MolaKule! I've respected your opinion for 15+ years and continue to do so. Many thanks for all your help and knowledge over all these years.

Whimsey

What he said ^ if you have warranty concerns use the above grades in the Motorcraft oil.

If it were mine id change the PTU fluid annually NTE 25k miles.

Last edited:
the amsoil is likely better, but Redline lubricants are even better IMO! Amsoil products are only as good as needed as they answer NOTHING about their formulations + only say they meet or exceed the OE. they quit blowing their PAO horn some time ago + are likely formulating better than average but not as good as before products IMO!!

Doctor knows best! Amsoil makes great Gear lube, just bought a bunch from Pablo here on BITOG. When people with experience and PHD's make recommendations, I'm all ears!

*I don't know Pablo, only from these forums.....I don't sell Amsoil either... OP please read my signature.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I'm wondering whether Amsoil's Severe Gear 75W-140 for the PTU and 75w-90 gear oil would be more beneficial than the Motorcraft gear oils spec'd. For the rear diff I can use Amsoil 80W-90 synthetic gear oil also if the Severe Gear 75W-90 is not appropriate. Thanks!

A differential mineral 80W90 typically has a KV@40*C of 135-165 cSt, i.e an ISO 150 gear oil grade.
Now I would speculate a Ford mineral 80W90 has a KV@40*C of about 146 cSt.
Amsoil SS 75W90 has a KV@40*C that is too low at 102.4 cSt, falling into (lower) ISO 100 grade.
Amsoil synthetic 80W90 has a KV@40*C of 120.2 cSt, which is in between ISO 100 and ISO 150 gradings.
If you must replace Ford differential mineral 80W90 with an Amsoil, I would recommend Amsoil SS 75W110 that has a KV@40*C of 139.9 cSt which matches an ISO 150 gear oil grade.

Amsoil 75W140 should be an equivalent replacement for Ford 75W140 in a PTU.JMHO

From what I've seen the PTU can turn the Motorcraft synthetic 75W-140 into black cake in as little as 30,000 miles or less rendering the PTU unit useless and broken.

WOW!!

Change it at 15,000, then at 20,000, then 25,000 - to see how yours behaves.

I wouldn't take chances

Originally Posted By: Linctex
From what I've seen the PTU can turn the Motorcraft synthetic 75W-140 into black cake in as little as 30,000 miles or less rendering the PTU unit useless and broken.

WOW!!

I wouldn't take chances

I had the dealer change it at 9,000 miles, of course they used Motorcraft 75W-140. My next change will be at approx 25,000 mi using the Amsoil SG 75W-140. Then I'll do it again at approx 50,000 miles to see how the Amsoil SG holds up and then decide on the change frequency. And Ford calls this a "lifetime fill" in the PTU
mad.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

WOW!!

I wouldn't take chances

I had the dealer change it at 9,000 miles, of course they used Motorcraft 75W-140. My next change will be at approx 25,000 mi using the Amsoil SG 75W-140. Then I'll do it again at approx 50,000 miles to see how the Amsoil SG holds up and then decide on the change frequency. And Ford calls this a "lifetime fill" in the PTU
mad.gif

Whimsey

Do you have room for a Fumoto valve… figured you could drain and then batch inject with super syringe …
Has to be better than gurgling a 1/4” air hose … but that hose would easily facilitate the above (ventilation)
It would require the ‘N’ valve to stick hose on …

Thanks for the suggestion. Next time I'm under the Explorer I'll take a look and see if this is feasible. Of course the snow and ice have to melt before I do that
lol.gif

Whimsey

I had a 2008 Taurus X AWD and had to deal with a gunked up PTU. I realize that yours is far newer and probably in decent shape, but I think my recommendation still holds water.

I used Schaeffer's 75W-140 meant for Harley motorcycle gear cases. From my research I thought it was the best available option to withstand the heat of the catalytic converter 4 inches away, plus I had a distributor 15 minutes away from me that kept it in stock for $15/quart.

I also drill and tapped a drain plug in the PTU to make the changes far easier (I think I posted here on the Edge forum). Even with a fluid extractor and a small rigid tube it was very difficult to get any of the old gear oil out. Some Edge owner even fabricated a heat shield to help dissipate heat.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
How does Mobil 1 75w140 compare to the other brands? I have a quart and plan on using this in the PTU next oil change.

It won't do any worse than the Motorcraft 75W-140 that Ford uses. In fact it may hold upper better because it probably has PAO in it and not just Group lll as the Motorcraft probably is made of. Nothing wrong with Motorcraft 75W-140 in their rear diffs of their trucks, it held up well for me and so did Mobil1 75W-140. The "uniqueness" of the PTU and it's location necessitates a real stout 75W-140. Have you changed your PTU before and do you have any helpful suggestions? Thanks.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
How does Mobil 1 75w140 compare to the other brands? I have a quart and plan on using this in the PTU next oil change.

It won't do any worse than the Motorcraft 75W-140 that Ford uses. In fact it may hold upper better because it probably has PAO in it and not just Group lll as the Motorcraft probably is made of. Nothing wrong with Motorcraft 75W-140 in their rear diffs of their trucks, it held up well for me and so did Mobil1 75W-140. The "uniqueness" of the PTU and it's location necessitates a real stout 75W-140. Have you changed your PTU before and do you have any helpful suggestions? Thanks.

Whimsey

Didn't change it yet, but the Newer Fords have a drain and fill plug on the PTU, so it shouldn't be too bad. Just drain warm fluid, replace plug and fill to bottom of fill hole. Might need some tubing from the bottle to fill hole, not sure how much room there is.

OP, how about a fully synthetics 80W140 grp III and/or VI/V for the PTU?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back