GL-4 SAE 140 wt gear oil

Wanted to change the gear oil on a couple Troy-bilt rototillers. They spec GL-4 85w-140 or 140wt gear oil. Stuff is pretty hard to find and I was going to buy some GL4/5 Valvoline 85w-140, but didn't like that it said it was only for non-synchronized manual transmissions. I know there is brass in the tiller transmission. Was pleasantly surprised to find a gallon for $20 at Oreilly.

Any other applications you all have needed this weight for? Was a new one for me.

it's essentially a worm drive isn't it? I've been looking at the same thing for my small tiller. Those worm drives like really viscous stuff and indeed often contain brass (if not always)

it's essentially a worm drive isn't it? I've been looking at the same thing for my small tiller. Those worm drives like really viscous stuff and indeed often contain brass (if not always)
There's a variety of gears in there on this tiller. Tines and wheels both drive in forward and reverse and I know some of the gears are brass. I found an owners manual and it spec's either 85-140 or straight 140 GL4 for a full change.. Assume they stress GL4 due to the brass.

On the small front gearbox on a front tine tiller I believe you would generally use 00 grease like MolaKule mentioned.

Back