Eating More Sweet Potatoes

Lately I've been cutting back on foods that are high in Omega 6 fats, like most nuts, chips, and other foods, and eating foods that have a better Omega 3 to 6 ratio, like sweet potato, flaxseed, cauliflower, sardines, salmon, etc. Sweet potatoes are really good pressure cooked, cooled, and then warmed up in the microwave with a little Kerrygold butter. I eat a lot of beans too.
Due to chronic eczema on my scalp, I'm hoping that improving my n3/ n6 ratio will improve it. I'm going to be doing a blood test to find out just where my Omega 3 level is. Some people say it's more important to reduce Omega 6 fats than it is to eat more Omega 3 fats. The recommendation to eat fish 2 or 3x a week may not be much help if someone continues to eat high Omega 6 fats every day.

Some things I do wrt this:

- microwaving yams & SPs is also quick and efficient
- you can slice them like French fries very quickly, and bake them in the oven in like 25 minutes. excellent.
- WRT flaxseed, you need a fair amount to get a good effect. Get ground seed and sprinkle in lots of things - protein shakes, on salads, etc. even mix it in hamburgers.
- frozen riced cauliflower in packets is not expensive, and cooks up in minutes: great sub for rice, potatoes, etc. Costco had big container of cheap recently I bought there.
- the fish you want to focus on is deep ocean fish like tuna, salmon, cod

In NYC they sell hotdogs from carts on the sidewalk. When I was in Beijing, they sold sweet potatoes from carts on the sidewalk. Another picky eater coworker was with me in China a a few years ago and out of the all you can eat breakfast buffet in our hotel each morning, the only thing we found that was really good were sweet potatoes. We ate a lot of sweet potatoes for breakfast that week. Even the keto people like sweet potatoes due to their healthy nature. And they're very tasty, too.

In NYC they sell hotdogs from carts on the sidewalk. When I was in Beijing, they sold sweet potatoes from carts on the sidewalk. Another picky eater coworker was with me in China a a few years ago and out of the all you can eat breakfast buffet in our hotel each morning, the only thing we found that was really good were sweet potatoes. We ate a lot of sweet potatoes for breakfast that week. Even the keto people like sweet potatoes due to their healthy nature. And they're very tasty, too.
oh my, I really miss the breakfast buffets at Chinese hotels!

I've had lifelong favorite sweet potato that I've only seen in Pa. I believe they are most correctly called a Red Skin sweet potato. They have a dark red/brown skin. The flesh after baking is a pale green, sometimes more yellow. Absolutely delicious! They are not so easy to find anymore. I suspect not a lot are grown any longer. They're not a potato that stores for a long period, so they're usually found from about Oct. to Apr. The supermarket that I usually shop at usually has them at a fairly silly price. They must source them from a local grower.

I've always maintained that they are the "real sweet potato". My wife likes them as well but doesn't agree with me. It's a rare day when I buy other sweet potato types or yams. Those orange things. jk.

- the fish you want to focus on is deep ocean fish like tuna, salmon, cod
Wild salmon and sardines are 2 of the best sources of omega 3s. Also herring, anchovy, and mackerel. With deep water bigger fish you run the risk of mercury contamination. Cod are a good source of DHA and tuna is so-so, but some types of tuna are high in mercury so be careful with that.

I've had lifelong favorite sweet potato that I've only seen in Pa. I believe they are most correctly called a Red Skin sweet potato. They have a dark red/brown skin. The flesh after baking is a pale green, sometimes more yellow. Absolutely delicious!
That is a Kumara.

331-3313473_batata-doce-rosa2018-03-072018-03-07http-red.png

Reactions: GON
That is a Kumara.

331-3313473_batata-doce-rosa2018-03-072018-03-07http-red.png
They look good enough to eat! What is the color of the Kumara inside when cooked? The Red Skin SP that I enjoy has a darker and coarser thick skin. From what I could find on the web, it appears that my Red Skins are one of the Japanese varieties.

Yes, normally darker and coarser skin, but they vary. They are cream coloured inside. There are also gold kumara, and some are red inside. Kumara was one of the vegtables Maori brought with them to NZ, but they were not like modern ones, only about the size of your thumb.

UPDATE : I've stopped eating sweet potatoes, carrots, liver, and high vitamin A foods.
They say my chronic eczema is likely to be caused by excess vitamins A, since nothing else changed it.
Some people say vA is more like a toxin than a vitamin.
It can take quite a while to detoxify it but I'm having improved digestion and possibly other things.

Don't rule out algae supplements. Ground flax seed is really healthy but the conversion rate is really low.

Sweet potatoes are basically sugar. If you can't drop weight, have Type 2 diabetes, have a fatty liver, do not eat sweet potatoes.

If you are over 60 or so and otherwise healthy, eat only small portions.

Back