Eating for recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

First, I'm not talking about recovery after sport/fitness.

I have about a month coming of working physically 16-20 hours/day.
What would be the ideal diet/meals to get me through?
I already try to drink lots of water, try to drink coffee/energy drink only when necessary.

Much appreciated.

How is your body weight now? Are you proper weight, over weight?

What type of work? Where you are sweating a lot and loosing electrolytes fast? or just physical but not overly sweating?

Up to 20 hours a day of physical work? When will you sleep? How many days off per week?

Exhaustion may make this a dangerous endeavour - don't endanger yourself or others for the sake of work.

As for food, several light meals per day will keep you from being full and sluggish, and a high-protein diet will be necessary for recovery.

Protein shakes/meal replacements may be your best bet.

something portable and delicious if you drink dairy is chocolate milk...has protein fat and carbs.
if you have the desire and time meal prepping and planning ahead is the best don't go for
convenience or junk food.

Working 16 to 20 hours a day well that's not a good choice in life if you're out of shape and near 50 or older. Is your employer buy you extra life insurance?

Overweight (6'2" / 187 cm, 236#)
Combination of both. sweating and working a lot.

Basically I have my regular job, while putting together 2 house renovations and a move across states.

RE: danger for me+others.
I do not drive drowsy! Exactly for the sake of me and others. I carry a pillow in my mazda5 exactly for those moments. 30mins-2 hour power nap does wonders on long drives.

Echoing a previous post...stay away from any kind of junk food, eats lots of vegetables, eggs, some meats (no processed foods). Drink lots of water. Absolutely no alcohol.

If you are going to be taxing your physical body in this manner and you want it to perform you have to give it the best odds possible and that's with eating as clean as you can.

So the cookies and ice cream diet wouldn't work?

Originally Posted by pandus13
I have about a month coming of working physically 16-20 hours/day.

Are you going to Egypt to build a pyramid?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
So the cookies and ice cream diet wouldn't work?

Ice-Cream and the small pudding cups are the "I've been good and finished the project" treats.
A cold apple or banana works as well in a pinch.
But I guess a bed would be the best treat at that point....

Funny, had an uncle working there many years ago on their buildings and industrial stuff....

Originally Posted by Donald
Something has got to give. You cannot eat better to fix this. You can do a few days or maybe a week of long hours/little sleep. But not a month.

On the days I'm beat up, I just plan to do less in more steps.
No getting up on any ladders.

Funny, had an uncle working there many years ago on their buildings and industrial stuff....

5,000 years ago?

5,000 years ago?

I think he was clear in his comment.

A few years back I worked myself to 133# at 6'. Never crossed my mind to ask that question. Diet advice is the same for everyone. Just eat healthy.

Originally Posted by JLTD
High protein for recovery and make sure to get plenty of rest.

The body recovers faster when carbs are added with high protein.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JLTD
High protein for recovery and make sure to get plenty of rest.

The body recovers faster when carbs are added with high protein.

Would Turkey meat with some whole wheat wraps and a bunch of nuts qualify?

Originally Posted by Donald
Article in NYT about a railroad worker who averages 74 hours of OT per week and earned $460,000 last year. On handwritten time slips. They are looking into fraud.

Many years ago, in my restaurant days, I've done one week of 90. Owners could not believe it so I send them to check their own cameras. I also reminded them they where 3 people short (one in jail for DUI, 2 recovering after drunk fighting hurts)
I'm not sure if you are implying something else.
I usually sleep 4-7 hours a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back