Easing the B&S pull-start

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

This winter I've noticed the hand I have to yank my older B&S 5hp Quantum to life with isn't feeling quite as young as it once did.

Are there a couple of high-priority things I should address in order to help ensure prompt starts when I start cutting again?

Admittedly, the plug seems to foul pretty often, so I try to keep the electrode cleaned off with a wire brush, and it appears that the fuel-shutoff may need some new O-Rings as it has gotten a little leaky too.

Been using Valvoline MaxLife 10w30, which I seem to have to top off every few hours of operation.. although there doesn't appear to be any significant smokin' going on.

Hints, suggestions?

Clean the air filter real well. treat the gas with a heavy dose of seafoam and the oil with a little mmo.then buy a new spark plug after the seafoam is gone.

If it's actually hard to turn over some thinner oil like syn 0w30 would really help. A little higher revs cure all manner of ills. I once brought a small engine back to life with an electric drill furiously spinning the flywheel, it uncorked whatever plugged it up and lived happily ever after.

Try 0w-30 as others have suggested,GC works great in these small engines.A platinum plug also helps getting them to start easier(you may need to cross reference).
I found a Autolite double platinum for my B&S).
Put a small amount of Redline Sl 1 or Berrymans fuel cleaner in the tank and run it to get the mix down into the carb.

Before putting the new plug in do a piston soak with MMO or Kroil overnight.

0W-30 oil like GC, fresh gas (put stabil marine or seafoam in it the day you get it) and store it in a cool place away from direct sun, paladium plug, and a clean air filter.

If the spark plug has black on the inside ceramic it will reduce the spark, and make it hard to start.

I noticed something in the fuel additive section at Walmart the other day. They now have a starting additive made by stabil.

After I put 0W-30 (GC) in my Coleman Powermate Generator with the 10 HP Tecumseh engine and my brother started it, he said that it was much easier to pull.

These all look to be good suggestions. I picked up some 0w30 GC recently, and it would appear that perhaps adding a few more bottles to the shelf may be a good idea.

However, I'm not finding any readily available dual-platinum plugs (J19LM equivalent) other than an Autolite fine wire Xtreme Start product which is rather pricey (XS458DP). There may also have been an Autolite 458DP edition at one time. Looks like I need to check out some of the out-lying hardware stores to have half a chance of finding that one.

Oh well...

I also have some MoS2 knocking around here - any point in adding that to the GC?

If you're going to put a platinum or iridium plug in that motor I'd suggest NGK and I'd suggest staying away from Bosch. I've had excellent luck with NGK iridiums in air cooled engines and poor luck with Bosch platinums. Autolite and others may be good as well, I've just never used them.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott
If you're going to put a platinum or iridium plug in that motor I'd suggest NGK
That would be my preference too, but NGK says:

We offer a standard nickel equivalent to the Autolite 458DP which is NGK BR2LM but unfortunately we don’t offer any precious metal or other fine wire/performance versions at this time.

So it'll be the Autolite 458DP.

No problem with the Autolite you will get more than a few years of service out of it.I have one in a blower with 5 seasons on it and it still looks great.-10f,GC an Autolite DP with 4 pumps of the primer bulb,full choke = 1 pull every time.

Originally Posted By: Trav
458 DP double platinum from AA $1.99

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/...7763-_-10711125
Boy, this link is misleading. I ordered (3) of these and got regular 458's. They do not stock actual dual-platinums despite what the shelf label says or scanner indicates. Card and tower say: 458 and that is what it is.

Web site just doesn't appear to reflect reality.

I may have to try a different parts store.

Just had a chat session with an AAP rep. He indicated that as far as their back office was concerned, the 458 & the 458DP were one and the same. (No big surprise.)

Well... the plug packaging I have does not say "Dual-Platinum" anywhere. Looking at the plug itself, the electrode at the top and at the gap are black - might that actually indicate platinum?

If it is, problem over!

No those are copper core.Advance has a screwed up listing.
This is the number for a B&S platinum 796560

This plug should not cost more than $5 anywhere,even the Autolite iridium you mentioned.
I can tell you this though,its really worth finding one.My B&S powered lawnmower was a bear to get going.With the platinum it fires right up and looks like the plug will live a long time.

B&S Spark Plug.

Remind me to get you guys an official position with the BITOG Help Desk.

No pay - but free beer.
cheers3.gif

Still interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back