Early Risers

After retiring I find that my body/mind won't let me sleep late/sleep in. I automatically wake up between 6-7am. While working I would get up about 9-10 am, I'm in bed by 11pm and no later than 11:30 pm. I have tried various sleeping aids but no joy even though I do get a deep restful sleep. Any other retirees have this going on. :sleep:

Not retired but I've noticed that I get up later due to WFH. But instead of waking up at 6 I tend to naturally wake up around 6:30.

My brain however isn't open for business until noon...

Don't worry about it! This issue will resolve itself once you realize that nobody is going to call you at 3 AM for advice, or to call off sick!

Not retired but I've noticed that I get up later due to WFH. But instead of waking up at 6 I tend to naturally wake up around 6:30.

My brain however isn't open for business until noon...
I hear that...only my waking time went from 4.30AM - 6.30AM.

The frustrating part is the people who don't sign on until 8.30AM or later, and then have to have an urgent call with me right before I'm due to sign off for the day.

My wife is up at 4:30 to 5 am. She likes the peace and quiet to sip her coffee. She finishes her coffee, rides the Peloton for 45 minutes, showers and kisses me goodbye around 6:45. I've been sleeping a lot lately. Like 8 to 10 hours a night.

Any other retirees have this going on. :sleep:
I hung up my jock 3 years ago and didn't change my sleep routine. I moved one time zone West so now I get up at 430AM and go to bed at 930PM. I am fine with that, just happy to not be going into work. I nap a lot now, since I can, either an hour in the AM or an hour in the PM. It took about 2 years for the nightmares (all work related) to stop, things are Zen now.

I get up when the miniature tiger that has lain on my feet all night commands me to rise. That's usually about 0730.
1613769814902.jpg

When I work day shifts my alarm is set for 0245 and sometimes I wake up just before that.

This ideally gets me to work by 0345. I'm home from work about 4:45pm and usually in bed by 7pm to do it all over again.

In reality though, I haven't had a normal sleep schedule in over 24yrs due to swing shift.

The frustrating part is the people who don't sign on until 8.30AM or later, and then have to have an urgent call with me right before I'm due to sign off for the day.
Sign off? I leave my computer on until 9pm or so, in case emails come in or issues pop up. On at 7am to start the day, start answering emails I got overnight.

Back